Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Stop snitchin'

Parking Lot

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Stop snitchin'

I'm born and raised in DC, and that's a huge, huge, huge thing over here. Especially in the urban areas.

I asked my friend in Cali if they had the stop snitchin' movement (or whatever they call it) over there, and they said they had no idea what stop snitchin' was.

Is this whole stop snitchin' thing just in the DC area or all over the place?

For those that don't know, Stop Snitchin is if you see a crime go down and the cops come by and ask you what happened, you didn't see nothing, you didn't hear nothing and you didn't know who did it. Apparently people get beat up or killed if they rat someone out to the cops. It's a pretty disturbing thing.

How do you guys feel about it?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Re: Stop snitchin'

never heard of it but I'd like to believe I'd still tell the truth if threatened, but u can never really know for sure until it happens.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
dmek25
MVP

if i see a crime go down, I'm talking. its the only way to deter the criminals. and its also the right thing to do
Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

ill talk unless i have the option to shoot, then I'll shoot.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm born and raised in DC, and that's a huge, huge, huge thing over here. Especially in the urban areas.

I asked my friend in Cali if they had the stop snitchin' movement (or whatever they call it) over there, and they said they had no idea what stop snitchin' was.

Is this whole stop snitchin' thing just in the DC area or all over the place?

For those that don't know, Stop Snitchin is if you see a crime go down and the cops come by and ask you what happened, you didn't see nothing, you didn't hear nothing and you didn't know who did it. Apparently people get beat up or killed if they rat someone out to the cops. It's a pretty disturbing thing.

How do you guys feel about it?
Never heard of it...not in Mass, or in New Mexico.
In fact there are several things in place that are the opposite. If you see a drunk driver, you can call and report them. If you see a crime, you call crime stoppers.
Stop Snitchin sounds like something people put together to make your area worse. If everyone shut up, crime would go up.
That's just a disturbing thing to hear.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Never heard of it...not in Mass, or in New Mexico.
In fact there are several things in place that are the opposite. If you see a drunk driver, you can call and report them. If you see a crime, you call crime stoppers.
Stop Snitchin sounds like something people put together to make your area worse. If everyone shut up, crime would go up.
That's just a disturbing thing to hear.
I agree. I don't live in the hood. Its a pretty modest working class neighborhood. Crime goes down but its pretty petty stuff, the worse we have in this parts is drug trafficking and even the traffickers tend to be cordial. Police have actually stepped up in my area and we have neighborhood meetings and such. But its terrible in the ghettos where this movement is prevalent. It's getting into popular culture now too which is why I asked. The most widely known incident is where one popular rapper had just performed at Howard University and was involved in a driveby. He knows who shot him and to this day, he hasn't told the cops. Due to this whole snitchin thing.

It's a jail mentality that has somehow leaked onto the streets. They say in jail, you don't snitch cause if you do, you're pretty much as a good as dead. Same goes around in the hood here.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

I've never heard of it either....I thought there was actually a law in place that if you actually did see a crime you HAD to report it to the police....the good Samaritan law or something??? Or maybe I just watch too much Seinfeld....haha
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Well the good Samaritan law still is in place cause of that whole crime that happened back in the 70s where the woman was stabbed and everyone heard it but no one called the cops. The Samaritan law is actually a real law isn't it? This whole thing I'm talking about is some stupid ass movement that people are actually adhering to.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

If I see I will report.
Period

Should I not Snitch if I see yer Mom get Robbed?
Please let me know
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Well the good Samaritan law still is in place cause of that whole crime that happened back in the 70s where the woman was stabbed and everyone heard it but no one called the cops. The Samaritan law is actually a real law isn't it? This whole thing I'm talking about is some stupid ass movement that people are actually adhering to.
I'm not sure if it's actually real or not. Dude I laugh every time I see a post from you with your "lint licker" quote....that commercial is hilarious I think!
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Baugh Fan View Post
If I see I will report.
Period

Should I not Snitch if I see yer Mom get Robbed?
Please let me know
Well according to the streets no.

But according to me. Hell yes! lol if I see your folks, get robbed, I'll report for you too SBF

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Stop snitchin is prevalent in Philly. Definitely a problem. And definitely ridiculous.

Anyone who subscribes to that mindset should just be shot. That's bullshit. If I could, I'd not only call in the crime, I'd give the 5-0 the names of all the other people who saw it too.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

It's big in Baltimore. In fact, several years ago a couple of ex-cons made a music video about it and had Carmello Anthony (a native baltimoron) in it. He later said he didn't realize what he was doing.

Witness intimidation is a real problem here. Recently two houses have been firebombed b/c the people came forward. Prosecutors are constantly confronted with people refusing to testify b/c they know they won't/can't be protected.

It's easy to say you'd come forward but, in the wrong parts of town, the police can't protect you from the thugs. I know one family that indicated that they would go forward and the next day the family dog was on their doorstop beheaded.

Again, it is mainly in the poorer parts of town where this is going on.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I think snitching and "narcing" is frowned upon in general by poorer communities. It is seen as disrespectful to the honor of the streets, whatever that may be.

But I guess you need to realize most people who follow this no snitching principle, don't put too much value into our laws/legal system. They have their own system set up.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

yeah i live in the country, but i used to have many dealings with different criminal elements and can completely understand the mentality...

there was a time when I thought all govt. was the enemy and wouldn't even use the police against people I hated, and i've seen some pretty serious corruption in police departments (even in small towns.) that'll make you think twice about calling the cops in alot of situations...

not because so much of fear of retribution, but big brother was always the ultimate enemy because you felt like you weren't doing anything to them and they wanted to take your life away...

having kids saved my life and I thank God everyday for my second chance at life, and take it seriously... I honestly think I do have a responsibility to help other people given the opportunity and if I die helping someone then so be it... better than what I would've died doing had I stayed on the path I was on before I grew up.