Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Contesting a parking ticket:

Parking Lot

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Contesting a parking ticket:

I'm curious if there's a way to contest a parking ticket without actually showing up to court. It's not overly expensive (50 if paid within 30 days, 75 if paid after) but at this point the principle of the ticket bothers me.

Quick background so you understand why I'm angry about it. I have driven by this spot several times during the day to make sure my initial thoughts were correct, and they were. I pulled into a spot on a sidestreet, but it's very close to one of the main arteries in Arlington. My car was parked in a clearly marked spot (white painted brackets on either side of my vehicle) and was equipped with a parking meter for during the week. I came back with a ticket stating that I was within 15 feet of a hydrant. Now, it was close, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say I WAS within 15 feet of the hydrant. The fact that the county provided me with a clearly marked parking space and a parking meter should alleviate me from the responsibility of being the full 15 feet from a hydrant.

I'd love to hear some feedback about how to contest, if it's worth the time/effort, and if you feel as if I'm completely off base with thinking this ticket should be revoked I'd be interested to hear that as well.

Advertisements
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
12thMan
MVP

Re: Contesting a parking ticket:

Flip the ticket over, they should give you the option to contest it in writing. It's usually 30 days, depending on the state. I'm assuming you got it in DC or VA? Also, check to see if you can contest it online, but for sure in writing is an option.

CHECKS MADE PAYABLE TO: 12thMan
P.O. Box Warpath.net
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
12thMan
MVP

Oh, and it's totally worth it. Generally speaking, if you take the time to contest the fine the judge will will more than likely reduce the fine, if not dismiss it altogether.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

<Never mind; Edited for stupidity>
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Don't you still have to pay court costs even if they reduce the fine? It's kind of like you pay the same even if you go to court and use your time.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Don't you still have to pay court costs even if they reduce the fine? It's kind of like you pay the same even if you go to court and use your time.
Yes but assuming you are a good driver they won't add points to your record. Points can kill your insurance.

I interned for a lawyer that practiced criminal law. He said not contesting traffic violations is a big mistake alot of people make. The other mistake is taking a felony without jail time vs a misdemeanor with jail time. Always take the misdemeanor.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

If your record is clean most of the time they'll reduce the ticket whether you contest it or not, as long as you show for court.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

i thought only moving violations caused points to be deducted.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
i thought only moving violations caused points to be deducted.
I confess. I didn't fully read your post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Normally, I just say "take responsibility and pay for your actions" but you are clearly in the right here. If they actually painted and metered an illegal spot, that's practically entrapment IF they ticket people for the hydrant law after parking in a clearly-marked space.

Take some pictures if you have not already and mail them back in with the ticket after completing the "not guilty, requesting trial" section.

Incredibly stupid move by them if that space is actually in violation of law, but they can't penalize anyone for using it. Watch that space disappear soon.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Yes but assuming you are a good driver they won't add points to your record. Points can kill your insurance.

I interned for a lawyer that practiced criminal law. He said not contesting traffic violations is a big mistake alot of people make. The other mistake is taking a felony without jail time vs a misdemeanor with jail time. Always take the misdemeanor.

This is not correct. A parking ticket is not a moving violation and does not go against your driving, it does not add any points to your driving record, and it has no effect on your insurance.

Actually inmsurance companies do not look at your points from DMV they look at your actual driving record and have their own system for charging for violations.

Now for your question. If you have to go to court just payn the ticket unless you feel sitting in court for 7 hours is woth it to beat a $50 ticket.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote