Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

To recline or not recline

Parking Lot

Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

To recline or not recline

Air rage: Is reclining your seat a right? - CNN.com

Personally I don't do it, because the seating is so cramped as it is, and really that extra inch or two doesn't make me any more comfortable.

Seems that I always the guy in front of me who cranks his seat back first chance he gets, and my knees are already dug into the seat to begin with. Personally I think they should just get rid of reclining seats.

What do you do?

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: To recline or not recline

I glance back if the seat behind is empty I do it, if it is a child or little person I do it. If I see a OL man I don't do it. If it is a gray area I turn around and ask if they mind.

But all in all it makes little difference to you or the person behind you. The bottom of your seat actually moves forward in the back and the top comes down lower. I don't think it technically changes their area space it is more a mental think.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

My knees would beg to differ, what little "room" I have definitely suffers
Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Personally I hate when they do that, but I have started to always do the small upgrade that gives you 5" more room, that little bit means my knees never hit the other persons seat. Awesome
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I don't recline out of consideration for those behind me. If there is no one back there, game on, but the "comfort" you get from the coach seats is minimal regardless. Ah, for the days of government funded 1st class.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I generally decide based on the length of the flight. If they serve at least one meal, I'm reclining
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
KLHJ2
Inactive

I do not recline unless reclined upon. It's like a domino effect.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
saden1
MVP

The space in front of you belongs to you not the recliner. I look at the person behind me to see if they are comfortable. If they are I recline a little bit, if they're not I don't. I don't allow people in front of me to recline unless I am in an economy plus or exit row seat. As soon as someone in front of me start to recline I tap them the shoulder to let them know I don't have space and reclining is not an option. They usually comply and don't recline but I have had this one guy look at me funny once and continue to recline so I pushed his seat forward and didn't allow it to recline. After a few minutes the flight attendant walked by and I told her of the situation and she told him he couldn't recline. That was the end of it.

I always try to fly United and purchase an Economy Plus seat or get to the airport early and ask for an exit row seat.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

It's not the reclining person's fault, it is the airline for scrunching people in. I am a pretty tall and lanky person, so it can bother me, but then I recline right back.

I usually recline whenever I feel like it. I do take into consideration the person behind me. If they look uncomfortable or if they are large, then I won't. Otherwise tough luck, I paid for my comfort and I am going to use it.

Just hope you don't sit behind me.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
mredskins
Gamebreaker

[QUOTE=hooskins;767069]It's not the reclining person's fault, it is the airline for scrunching people in. I am a pretty tall and lanky person, so it can bother me, but then I recline right back.

I usually recline whenever I feel like it. I do take into consideration the person behind me. If they look uncomfortable or if they are large, then I won't. Otherwise tough luck, I paid for my comfort and I am going to use it.

Just hope you don't sit behind me.[/QUOTE]

I will fight back with KNEE DEFENDER!

The original Knee Defender - travel gadgets accessory - airplane legroom, DVT - travel accessories
Old 12-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

I agree with the lady from Emily Post. It is function of the seat. When you buy a ticket you get two expectations(among many others also): 1. you may recline at your leisure. 2. you may be reclined upon whether you like it or not.

I try not to do it out of courtesy but I don't expect the person in front of me to do the same. The space within the "recline zone" isn't simply one person's space..it is "shared" space that the recliner has a right to over the person behind.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

I don't recline (ever), but that's because I've always attributed reclining to laziness.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
It's not the reclining person's fault, it is the airline for scrunching people in. I am a pretty tall and lanky person, so it can bother me, but then I recline right back.

Just hope you don't sit behind me.
Well technically you didn't pay for "your comfort" unless you bought some version of an upgraded seat that gives you more room. As you pointed out the airlines are selling seats in a sardine can, and it would be nice if you feel that you want to pay for comfort then buy the upgrade that Saden and I mentioned, so that you really are paying for it, otherwise you really could respect the other people that are also just trying to get from point a to point b in an economical fashion.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

@ CRedskins: I really don't agree with that. As FRPLG said, it's a part of the ticket you pay for. There are no rules which tell you not to recline. The button needs to be removed if something the airline feels like the passenger should not do. I don't know why I have to fork over extra money to do something each ticket allows you to do.

With all this being said, I don't recline if someone is large or looks uncomfortable. I travel 70% of the time for work, and I have never had anyone complain, grunt, etc. about reclining. If someone asked me to bring my seat back up, in a polite manner, I would do it. If they think the area in front of them is their God given right, and are a prick about it, I would not bring my seat upright.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
@ CRedskins: I really don't agree with that. As FRPLG said, it's a part of the ticket you pay for. There are no rules which tell you not to recline. The button needs to be removed if something the airline feels like the passenger should not do. I don't know why I have to fork over extra money to do something each ticket allows you to do.

With all this being said, I don't recline if someone is large or looks uncomfortable. I travel 70% of the time for work, and I have never had anyone complain, grunt, etc. about reclining. If someone asked me to bring my seat back up, in a polite manner, I would do it. If they think the area in front of them is their God given right, and are a prick about it, I would not bring my seat upright.
Well I always just kinda dealt with it when the person in front did. I understand the point that it's a part of the seat, my only difference with your first statement was you said you paid for comfort, and I don't think anyone buying the economy tickets (myself included) is paying for comfort, instead we are paying for the transportation from point a to b. I agree that, since it's a part of the seat you have the "right", to me it's just not respectful, unless it's a little child or small woman behind you. That doesn't give the other person a right to be a prick about it either.