Uncle Phil

2012 Draft-QB Prospects (Part III)

Continuing the QB prospects discussion with a fresh thread

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: 2012 Draft-QB Prospects (Part III)

I spotted this article yesterday on Robert Griffin III. I know there are a lot of Redskins fans (at least on ES) that want the 'skins to draft RG III next year. But, could it be possible that RG III decides not to even go into the NFL?

Robert Griffin III named Sporting News' player of the year - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG III
“You gotta have a plan, but realize that plans don’t always work out. Plan B is the NFL,” Griffin says.
Griffin's primary plan is to go to law school, and I think he wants to petition the NCAA to let him try out for the summer Olympics.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I spotted this article yesterday on Robert Griffin III. I know there are a lot of Redskins fans (at least on ES) that want the 'skins to draft RG III next year. But, could it be possible that RG III decides not to even go into the NFL?

Robert Griffin III named Sporting News' player of the year - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Griffin's primary plan is to go to law school, and I think he wants to petition the NCAA to let him try out for the summer Olympics.
Yeah doesn't sound very promising for him to come out for the draft. Only way that happens is if the NCAA denies his appeal to play while at law school. What are the chances of that happening. If he doesn't come out and Indy takes Luck at #1 and Miami jumps over us and takes Barkley we are screwed.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Yeah doesn't sound very promising for him to come out for the draft. Only way that happens is if the NCAA denies his appeal to play while at law school. What are the chances of that happening. If he doesn't come out and Indy takes Luck at #1 and Miami jumps over us and takes Barkley we are screwed.
I was thinking about this yesterday as well. One scenario that I could probably live with is Yates leading Houston deep in the playoffs, Houston deciding to go with Yates for the long haul, and trading Schaub to the Redskins to move up in the draft. The Redskins could then keep adding depth to the offensive line, drafting some linebackers or a good shut down safety. That would make a lot of sense for the Redskins, considering that Matt Schaub already knows Kyle's offense, so no learning curve - MS could be plugged in while the 'skins continue to build the team around him.

The Redskins could still draft a QB in 2013 or 2014, and give him time to hold a clip board like Aaron Rodgers. I could definitely live with this scenario.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
I was thinking about this yesterday as well. One scenario that I could probably live with is Yates leading Houston deep in the playoffs, Houston deciding to go with Yates for the long haul, and trading Schaub to the Redskins to move up in the draft. The Redskins could then keep adding depth to the offensive line, drafting some linebackers or a good shut down safety. That would make a lot of sense for the Redskins, considering that Matt Schaub already knows Kyle's offense, so no learning curve - MS could be plugged in while the 'skins continue to build the team around him.

The Redskins could still draft a QB in 2013 or 2014, and give him time to hold a clip board like Aaron Rodgers. I could definitely live with this scenario.
I don't think that is going to happen in any way, shape, or form. They won't give up Schaub to roll with Yates...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
I don't think that is going to happen in any way, shape, or form. They won't give up Schaub to roll with Yates...
One thing I have learned by watching the NFL for the past 30+ years, never say never. Never thought the 49ers would let Montana walk, but they did. Never thought the 'skins would bench John Riggins for George Rogers, but they did. If Houston makes a deep run in the playoffs with Yates, it could definitely happen. Now, is it likely Houston makes a deep run in the playoffs? That's really the question. I haven't really sat down and watched any Texans games other than the parts I see on the Redzone, but the kid keeps leading Houston to wins.

In my opinion, if the 'skins HAD to go the free agency route or the trade route for a vet QB, Schaub would be the best fit. Now really, it's more likely the Redskins draft a QB, I know this. But, there is always a better than outside chance that this scenario happens IF AND ONLY IF, Houston makes a deep run in the playoffs - and especially if they happen to make the Super Bowl. If the latter happened, consider Matt Schaub gone from Houston.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
One thing I have learned by watching the NFL for the past 30+ years, never say never. Never thought the 49ers would let Montana walk, but they did. Never thought the 'skins would bench John Riggins for George Rogers, but they did. If Houston makes a deep run in the playoffs with Yates, it could definitely happen. Now, is it likely Houston makes a deep run in the playoffs? That's really the question. I haven't really sat down and watched any Texans games other than the parts I see on the Redzone, but the kid keeps leading Houston to wins.
I'm not sure if those examples are pertinent. Riggins was 35 when they went with Rogers; that's ancient for a RB. Montana was 37 and at the end of his career. Matt Schaub is 30 and very much in the prime of his career. If Houston were to deal anyone, it would be Yates.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Yeah the Texans getting rid of Schaub seems like a real stretch at this point.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
The Goat
Pro Bowl

?? What's Schaub's contract status?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah the Texans getting rid of Schaub seems like a real stretch at this point.
Yes, at this point, you are correct! And again, I did state, I see the Redskins drafting a QB more likely. BUT, what if, JUST WHAT IF, the Texans make it to the Super Bowl with Yates? WHAT IF, Yates breaks out during the playoffs and out plays ever other QB - at least on the AFC side. Would it be such a stretch then?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I'm not sure if those examples are pertinent. Riggins was 35 when they went with Rogers; that's ancient for a RB. Montana was 37 and at the end of his career. Matt Schaub is 30 and very much in the prime of his career. If Houston were to deal anyone, it would be Yates.
So if Yates gets the Texans to the Super Bowl, you'd still say Houston would deal Yates over Schaub?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Landry44

Quote:

The only way I see the Texas sticking with Yates is if he takes them to the Superbowl and look just as good or better than Schaub while doing it. It not, that scenario is highly unlikely. I don't Matt Schaub or any other teams franchise qb. We need to draft our own.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Yes, at this point, you are correct! And again, I did state, I see the Redskins drafting a QB more likely. BUT, what if, JUST WHAT IF, the Texans make it to the Super Bowl with Yates? WHAT IF, Yates breaks out during the playoffs and out plays ever other QB - at least on the AFC side. Would it be such a stretch then?
Another stretch... IF Yates took them to the SB who knows. It would also depend on his contract situation.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:

IF we can't draft a top first round talent QB, then I think that is unlikely but ideal. For a more likely scenario, I suggest reading my sig.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Another stretch... IF Yates took them to the SB who knows. It would also depend on his contract situation.
Definitely right now, it's a stretch considering New England would just out score the Texans, and the Ravens D would give Yates a headache - however, I'm sure the same was said about Tom Brady back in the day, so who knows? We'll find out.