Sean Taylor 47 85.45%
Kellen Winslow 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Taylor or Winslow...

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2274910

I will be the first to admit that I really dont get in to college football. With that being said I never seen Taylor or Winslow play, all I know about them is what is said on here and what I read. After reading this article I made up my mind as to who I believe we should take in this months draft. TAYLOR!!!!

I base this on the idea that defense wins championships. From the way this article talked about Winslow he sounds to more of a TE/WR rather than the TE/blocker that Gibbs likes. Make no doubt about it he still would be a great pick, but we are set at WR so to me it would make no sence to draft him if he is known more for his recieving skills and not his blocking skills.

As for drafting Taylor, I think that his presence will help not only with the pass rush but also with turn-overs.

Although if there is a possiblity that we somehow could attain both in the draft than I say do it!!!
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

Matty ... or any other moderator.... can we get a poll up on this one?

Taylor or Winslow at #5 straight up... no other options... :thumb:
Old 04-01-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Hail, the poll is up
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Riggo44
The Starter

I like Winslow! He can be as good as Shockey is for N.Y!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Maybe but it sounds as if Winslow fits the TE mold of KC'S Tony G. rather than NY'S Shockey.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
joecrisp
The Starter

If Winslow were drafted by the Redskins, he would be used more in the H-back role than the blocking TE role in Gibbs' offense.

The assessment that Winslow would be a poor fit as a TE in Washington would be pretty accurate, in that the TE is used more as a pure blocker, like an extra offensive tackle. However, Winslow would be a perfect fit in the H-back spot, as the H-back is a more versatile position that requires the player to be a pass receiver, lead blocker, or second tight end, moving in motion to optimize the effectiveness of each play, depending on how the defense lines up. The H-back is critical to Gibbs' gameplan, as it keeps the defense off-balance, forcing them to account for that player as a receiver and a blocker, while never knowing where that player may wind up by the time the ball is snapped.

Winslow could be the ultimate weapon as an H-back. He may not be the greatest blocker, but he's more than adequate, and you can't deny the impact an athlete like Winslow would have as a receiver.

I voted for Winslow, but I sure as heck wouldn't be disappointed if the Skins took Taylor instead. It's a no-lose situation if you ask me.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
JoeGibbsIsBack
Camp Scrub

You say "if he can block", if you think Shockey does anything resembling blocking then Winslow mine as well be an All-Pro tackle in your book. Winslow can block and tries hard to block. And don't worry, TE Walter Rasby whom the Front Office signed this offseason is the blocking TE and the whole reason Winslow would be brought in is for the H-Back. Especially since we traded Brian Johnson. I think Ohalate can play and keep improving and the only real position with no sure-fire starter on offense is H-Back. Defense has a few more holes so if I'm the Redskins, I try to sign D. Gardener when he is released by making room with the absence of Trotter and fill out the Offense by getting Winslow.
JoeGibbsIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGibbsIsBack
You say "if he can block", if you think Shockey does anything resembling blocking then Winslow mine as well be an All-Pro tackle in your book. Winslow can block and tries hard to block. And don't worry, TE Walter Rasby whom the Front Office signed this offseason is the blocking TE and the whole reason Winslow would be brought in is for the H-Back. Especially since we traded Brian Johnson. I think Ohalate can play and keep improving and the only real position with no sure-fire starter on offense is H-Back. Defense has a few more holes so if I'm the Redskins, I try to sign D. Gardener when he is released by making room with the absence of Trotter and fill out the Offense by getting Winslow.
I am not sure who this is directed to, but I am not comparing Shockey to Winslow, as a matter of fact IMO I think that they have totaly different playing styles. Shockey seems to try to run over his tacklers where as Winslow tries to avoid the tacklers and use his speed and smarts to elude them.

No doubt about it he would solidify our offense, but if our opponents can't score they can't win!!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
JoeGibbsIsBack
Camp Scrub

True about defense but you could look at it two ways. Its also been said the best defense is a great offense.
JoeGibbsIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #10
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

I also don't really watch much college ball like Redskins8588, so I'm mainly going on what I've read here and on other sites. I would be very happy with either of them, but I chose Taylor, mainly because at this point we need more help on defense...but Winslow would really make the offense sick too...
:headbange
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

wow this poll isn't even close, I'm kinda surprised
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

I vote for Taylor. With TO and Keyshawn in the division, we are going to need to shore up our secondary and all reports I'm hearing about Taylor are that he's the real deal. I admit having Winslow on offense would be a scary sight, if they get any kind of improvement in their line play then a Portis-Coles-Winslow skill position package is immediately among the top in the league. And I'd love to see it, but I still say go with defense. With all the pressure that Williams is going to bring, we're going to need a better safety than Bowen back there. I like Bowen at times, but he's more prone to misfire than Jason Williams's shotgun. Either way, it seems like a can't miss thing, but I'm guessing that if Winslow picks the Poston brothers as agents then the Skins will go with Taylor and Rosenhaus. Signability, it must be Clark Kellogg rubbing off on me.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

i say trade our first round pick next year for a chance to get both of them.
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
RTerps2002
Camp Scrub

Sean Taylor is a difference maker on defense something we no longer have in our secondary.. We have Portis and Coles on offense so I say it has to be Taylor,
RTerps2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #15
beg8878
Special Teams

I voted for Taylor as well, but like a lot of other people on this board, I really don;t care which one we get as long as we get one...both will have an immediate impact on one side of the ball. It is a nice feeling knowing we are in the drivers seat on this one...I would personally like to thank the Ol' Ball Coach for the poor coaching. Without him, we would not be in this position.
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote