Arizona - Saftey (They have Iffy)
Washington WR or DE
Detroit - TE or Saftey

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
drew54
The Starter

Re: Top 10 Pick - Only By Position Needs

I could see a lot of these teams looking all over the board, and most of them just teaking the best available at their pick.

1. SF - QB, this is their most logical choice.
2. Miami - RB, Just cut Fiedler, may make a run at Garcia or Warner, Benson is thier man @2.
3.Cleveland - QB, WR, OT, CB, I think the Browns will be the team that sest the way the rest of the draft falls. They could trade down if a team wants to land a RB before Tampa Bay, or a DB to help get Romeo's D off on the right foot. But they really need a T like Alex Barron
4. Chicago - WR, CB, OT, Why would the Bears draft a RB this high when they have Thomas Jones. Probably a WR here or OT.
5. Tampa Bay - RB, WR, Gruden needs some young legs to "Pound that Rock." Plus Joey Galloway is a free agent, bad news for our chances of a wide out @ 9.
6. Tennessee - WR, CB, Titans just cut their top guy at these two positions. Plus Andre Dyson is a free agent.
7. Minnesota - WR, CB, Minnesota will almost definately take our WR off of the board.
8. Arizona - QB, RB, I think Denny Green might go ALex Smith if he is still here, or whoever is left from the top four RB, if no one is left he will draft defense.
9. Redskins - WR, TE Hopefuly a WR worth #9 is still here, if not maybe trade down of grab Heath Miller, plus he has that home town prospect fanfare.
10. Lions - OL, CB, I would think Mooch wants a lineman or maybe a colarbone bodyguarrd for Charles Rogers.

Hard to tell this early, we'll know bst after free agency shakes itself out.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

I wouldn't bank on the Vikings taking a WR, they still need plenty of help on D and one of the reasons they were comfortable in letting Moss go was the development of Burleson.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
skins009
Impact Rookie

Naw i don't think Williams or Edwards will be on the board when we pick. Which i think is a good thing. We should take a DE with out pick. Or trade downd and get Heath Miller and a second round pick.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Yuck, all of the teams mentioned could use wide receivers. There'll be slim pickens' at that position when the Skins select at #9.

--I think Miami will go with a QB first and foremost.

--Cleveland needs help everywhere, but remember, Romeo Crennel is a defensive guy, so don't be surprised if they concentrate on their D.

--Da Bears need offensive help badly, I don't see them going for a RB, and they're depending on Rex Grossman -- so say goodbye to one of the top wideouts here. Although, you can never discount Chicago's recent knack for taking players they don't need, and Lovey Smith still loves defense. Hopefully we can count on them to screw up another draft this year.

--Tampa most likely goes for a RB, but Gruden wouldn't mind another WR to compliment Michael Clayton. Benson, Cadillac Williams, they've pretty much got the pick of the litter here and they could prove too good to pass up.

--Jeff Fischer loves defense too, so I could see them taking Antrel Rolle here. You also have to take into account the possibility of Steve McNair retiring. That could throw off their entire draft scenario, but I think I heard recently that McNair likely plays for at least one more season. One of the top wideouts could easily be snatched up by the Titans though.

--Arizona is probably the only team you can guarantee will not take a wideout. With Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, plus their 2003 1st rounder Bryant Johnson rounds out a three-wideout threat Denny Green should be happy with. They could look at QB, but it'll likely be a running back and one of the top two prospects out of the backfield will still likely be available. But they also could go defense this year.

Never has a #9 pick looked so bleak for a team that needs help at one particular position.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think it's WAY too early. Lets see if anyone shoots to the top 10 thanks to combine workout - and free agency could change it all!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I think it's WAY too early. Lets see if anyone shoots to the top 10 thanks to combine workout - and free agency could change it all!
Agreed.

Free agency will change many teams' needs. Plus we still have the combine and predraft workouts, so there is plenty of time for players stocks to rise and fall.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

When do the free agent signings start? March 2?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I believe so Malcolm. I wouldn't be suprised to wake up the morning it starts to a guy putting on a new jersey and a Redskins cap.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit myself and I hope that person is Derrick Mason. Now that HE is available, I like him the best of all the FA players available.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I like Mason too, but I keep hearing how little we have in cap room to sign a free agent.

To all the cap experts here, what caliber player can we honestly expect get in free agency? Is there enough room to sign both a wideout like Derrick Mason and, say, a solid cornerback if/when Smoot leaves?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
offiss

I see we are starting back on the Heath Miller nonesense again, I will say it again we do not have a major need for a TE that is the least of our problem's, and even if we needed a TE as if Cooley wasen't catching the ball better than any TE we have had since Didier we wouldn't be drafting Miller, Troy Williamson will be the guy he will be the player left, Minnesota will take William's, and Edward's will go top 5, if by some chance they are all gone when we pick and we trade down I will guarentee you BIG TIME HEATH will not be a player we draft in the first round.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I like Mason too, but I keep hearing how little we have in cap room to sign a free agent.

To all the cap experts here, what caliber player can we honestly expect get in free agency? Is there enough room to sign both a wideout like Derrick Mason and, say, a solid cornerback if/when Smoot leaves?
Getting Samuels to restructure is the key
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Beleive it or not I agree with you Offiss. Heath will not be picked by the Redskins. Expect a WR or a DE. But after March 2nd when FA starts we will probally know what and who they are looking at. Don't expect any late picks to pan out as our scouting department and Vinny have failed us in the past. They seem to make their 1st 2 picks count then fall to sleep. Charley Casserly and Bobby Beathered were great with the late picks. So we shall see.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

offiss, crt3 -- I agree completely.

Think of how many passes Chris Cooley caught. Comparitively, he was a safety valve for the most part, the last option for Ramsey. And he was a fixture on offense for most of last year.

Tight ends in Joe Gibbs' system simply do not catch many passes. H-backs generally contribute a little more with the passing game, but that's due mainly to the design of the offense. Tight ends are pure blockers in Gibbs' scheme. To spend such a high round draft pick on a guy like Heath Miller would be a complete waste.

Let it be perfectly clear to everyone who reads this: WE WILL NOT SELECT A TIGHT END IN THE FIRST ROUND. We probably won't until much later in the draft if we do at all, and that will only be a block-first type of TE. Those are readily available in undrafted free agency, too.

We are set with Cooley, Robert Royal, and Koslowski. Anybody else they pick up will be somebody you've never heard of, and probably still won't hear much of when the 2005 regular season starts.