Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cut Chris Samuels

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Cut Chris Samuels

I say if Chris Samuels doesn't agree to a restructured contract, you've got to cut him. Agree or disagree?

I know he's not obligated to restructure, but since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed the Redskins also are not obligated to keep him on the team. Cutting him would save 6.5 million in cap room or something crazy like that. 6.5 million should go to a consistent pro-bowl player in my opinion, not an up-and-down guy. I love Samuels, but at that price, I think you have to cut him loose and let Molinaro give it a go.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Re: Cut Chris Samuels

I say give him more money.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

While I would hate to see Samuels go, if we need the cap space and he doesn't want to restructure......I say peace out, sayonara, hasta luego, vaya con Dios, ciao.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
celts32
Playmaker

Disagree strongly. Other than QB, LT may be the hardest position on a football team to fill. Chris Samuels is a very good LT. Gibbs teams were always built around O-line play. So I don't see how opening up a gaping hole at the most important position on the OL can be a smart decision. I can't even think of a worse move for the skins to make.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
Disagree strongly. Other than QB, LT may be the hardest position on a football team to fill. Chris Samuels is a very good LT. Gibbs teams were always built around O-line play. So I don't see how opening up a gaping hole at the most important position on the OL can be a smart decision. I can't even think of a worse move for the skins to make.

They've already made worse moves celts. Does the name Brunell ring a bell?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

While I don't want to see him go, I just can't see the team bringing him back with his pricey cap figure this year, if he doesn't restructure I think the team will have no choice but to cut him.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Thanks Matty, I agree. Guys, we have to think about the teams future. 2006 seems to be our "Tennessee Titans" year. And Samuels cap number is huge. Probably the 3rd biggest behind Lavar, and Portis. So, if he doesn't want to restructure then let him go. Think about the future. The Skins have been living by win now, and pay later and it seems like we're hitting the "pay later" part. Except that we haven't won $hit. So obviously that formula ain't working.

Don't get me wrong, I like Samuels. I hope he can retire as a Skin (yeah right!). But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also, let me remind some of you. They are some good tackles coming out this year, so you never know.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #8
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
They've already made worse moves celts. Does the name Brunell ring a bell?
That Brunell deal is water under the bridge, I was thinking more in terms of bad moves they could make in the present. I know the cap number is huge, but I look at him as one of the few indespensible players on the roster. They simply can't live without him. And if they cut him and try and find a quality LT in the open market, how much cap space do you suppose that will cost? His cap number is huge but LT is also a pricey position and anyone who is ready to just cut him had better have a replacement in mind that will cost less and perform almost as well. An offense simply can not function without quality play from it's LT. Like him or not, he was the most consistent player on the O-Line last year. I am simply not cutting him. I could name a laundry list of players that I would let go before Samuels.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm with Matty - I want to retain Samuels, but with that price there's no way we can afford him!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
That Brunell deal is water under the bridge, I was thinking more in terms of bad moves they could make in the present. I know the cap number is huge, but I look at him as one of the few indespensible players on the roster. They simply can't live without him. And if they cut him and try and find a quality LT in the open market, how much cap space do you suppose that will cost? His cap number is huge but LT is also a pricey position and anyone who is ready to just cut him had better have a replacement in mind that will cost less and perform almost as well. An offense simply can not function without quality play from it's LT. Like him or not, he was the most consistent player on the O-Line last year. I am simply not cutting him. I could name a laundry list of players that I would let go before Samuels.
I hear ya Celts. But unfortunately, sometimes teams get rid of good players because they have no choice. Its all about the cap now. Like I said I like Samuels, I want him back. But like Daseal and Matty pointed out.....at that price it will be very hard to absorb his cap hit.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

Celts, I agree that the LT position is absolutely vital to an offense's success. And I agree that Samuels is a hell of a player and I'd hate to see him go. But I disagree when you say that the Skins simply can't live without him. First off, Jim Molinaro and Mark Wilson were drafted for a reason, even if they were drafted in the later rounds. I remember a few Hogs coming from the later rounds of drafts as well.

Last season, Randy Thomas sat out a game with a leg injury, and Ray Brown moved to Guard and Mark Wilson took over at RT. Wilson played very well in that game; and reports from Redskin park indicate that Molinaro is actually further along than Wilson in the developmental process. I'm not saying Molinaro can replace Chris Samuels, but I'm saying you may have to give him a shot, because he just might come through.

It comes down to this: would you rather have Samuels with his $9 million cap hit, or would you rather go with Molinaro at LT, and have the cap room to resign Pierce and also likely have the cap room to find a replacement for Coles (like Derrick Mason).

We see the Patriots and Eagles having success by drafting guys and letting them step in when vets get too pricey. That is how you win in today's salary cap era. You've got to get rid of guys who are too expensive, and you've got to draft well and go with the young guys.

The only choice in my eyes is restructure Samuels, or he's out the door.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
Krills
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Celts, I agree that the LT position is absolutely vital to an offense's success. And I agree that Samuels is a hell of a player and I'd hate to see him go. But I disagree when you say that the Skins simply can't live without him. First off, Jim Molinaro and Mark Wilson were drafted for a reason, even if they were drafted in the later rounds. I remember a few Hogs coming from the later rounds of drafts as well.

Last season, Randy Thomas sat out a game with a leg injury, and Ray Brown moved to Guard and Mark Wilson took over at RT. Wilson played very well in that game; and reports from Redskin park indicate that Molinaro is actually further along than Wilson in the developmental process. I'm not saying Molinaro can replace Chris Samuels, but I'm saying you may have to give him a shot, because he just might come through.

It comes down to this: would you rather have Samuels with his $9 million cap hit, or would you rather go with Molinaro at LT, and have the cap room to resign Pierce and also likely have the cap room to find a replacement for Coles (like Derrick Mason).

We see the Patriots and Eagles having success by drafting guys and letting them step in when vets get too pricey. That is how you win in today's salary cap era. You've got to get rid of guys who are too expensive, and you've got to draft well and go with the young guys.

The only choice in my eyes is restructure Samuels, or he's out the door.

You hit it right on the nose. I can't agree more. Restructure or he's gone. We have to move back in the direction of how the old Skins were, with no superstars (look at the Patriots). Dont get me wrong, I like Samuels alot, but he has got to understand the position of the team. It might be scary to make some of these moves, but it has to be done. You never know, this might be just what we need. Young guys who love the game, and will do anything for the team. With Gibbs at the healm, I am confident that he will make the right choices as far as choosing the right replacements.
Krills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

Samuels is going to be eating over $9M in cap space this season unless he restructures. I don't care how great a player is, you can't have one guy taking up that much space.

If he doesn't restructure you have to release him and figure out a plan B. Hopefully Wilson or Molinaro will be ready, or you take a look at the available free agents, or you shuffle the line and perhaps move Jansen to LT.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
BossHog

Quote:
Disagree strongly. Other than QB, LT may be the hardest position on a football team to fill...
Wow. Are you his agent?
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
jrocx69
Special Teams

one guy taking up 10% of the teams cap space.... not good.... be GONE
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote