Coles refusing to rework contract

Getting more interesting by the minute, check out this BS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb22.html

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Re: Coles refusing to rework contract

Jesus, I thought the offseason was the 'Skins' opportunity to shine. I don't like the tone this mess sets for the team going into 2005.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Heh - expect him to be here then. If they don't get things moving he's cheaper to have here disgruntled (playing or not) than to drop.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I agree Daseal, I don't think we could afford to cut Coles....even if we cut or rework Samuels' contract. My understanding is that we needed to rework Samuels' contract in order to get some cap room to sign players in free agency. We can't lose that room just to accomodate Coles' release.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
itvnetop
Playmaker

maybe i'm in the minority here, but i kinda feel for samuels... he's already reworked his contract twice and although he's not performed up to expectations, i don't know why he should be asked to rework it again. if anything, chris samuels has been the ultimate skins player- kept his mouth shut, played through injury (although inconsistently), AND he's reworked his contract twice.

most players would have tried to bounce much earlier and some who we thought were "gibbs guys" (on their own recognizance) are on their way out. now if samuels refuses to rework for a third time, is he not a true redskin? how many times do you have to do your part to "help the team" (if that means backloading your contract/bonus) before you begin to think about yourself?
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree to a point itvnetop. I do think that Samuels has pushed it back twice already, and has done some things for the good of the team. I think if the team offers him some good bonus money, I would like to see him restrucutre, because that is all that is gaurneeted to him. The fact that he has already reworked it twice wouldnt make me bitter towards him if he dosent for a thrid time.....

...now Coles on the other hand. wtf. Do these guys realize anything but themsleves. Coles refusal to rework a new contract is freaking bullsh*t. So let me get this straight; you sign a 7 year deal, and want out after two years. So the team is trying to possibly let you get out of your deal, but needs you to rework the contract and you say no? You expect the skins' to take that freaking cap hit for your @$$ when you arent doing a god damn thing for us, except b*tch, complain,not honoring yoru contract, and now refusing to rework the contract so that we can get you out of here? Whatever dude, thats bush league. I love how you play on Sundays, but damn this is messed up.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
itvnetop
Playmaker

i totally agree re: coles gmanc... what LC's doing ain't that cool in my book- especially after the skins hooked him up Phat (with a capital P) and especially, as you pointed out, with the skins trying to do their best to fulfill his wish. the organization has make this deal work for them as well, and if LC ain't cool with that, looks like he can either sit and pout as a skin next year (further devaluing himself for a future team) or he can play balls out.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 AM   #8
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Why is there no cry and hue for Brunell to rework his contract? It seems like every year Samuels has to go through this but the ultimate underperformer isn't being asked to do anything.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:29 AM   #9
offiss

I really don't have a prob. with Cole's, he want's to win and he want's the ball, if I was a WR in that offense that I watched last year I would be screaming at the top of my lung's as well, I am supposed to bust my a** for what? Nothing! IMO Gibb's coached like a scared old lady last season like the world would end if we threw the ball 5 yard's past the line of scrimmage, then Coles had to sit through half a season while Gibb's forced Brunell down everyone's throat's, I don't blame him one bit, but if he want's out he's going to half to make it worth our while to do so and that mean's signing bonus money and accomadate a trade, I think the Jet's will probably come through with their #1 for Coles if we throw in Morton, that is the scenerio that work's for everyone the Jet's have a late #1 and need a reciever and everyone know's how much Pennington loves Cole's, the Jet's figure that trade will put them over I wouldn't settle for less, other wise he stay's.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

This little blurb in the Times should make us feel a little better

Quote:
Washington appears very interested in former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Derrick Mason, who led NFL wideouts with 96 catches last season but was cut this week in a cap purge.
As for Coles, I don't understand what he's thinking. If he wants outta here so badly he's gonna have to work with the team on this. And that means giving up his bonus, there's just no way we can afford to take a $9M cap hit for him.

If we can't work a trade I'm starting to think we should just tell him to suck it up and honor his contract.

This is just ridiculous.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
Why is there no cry and hue for Brunell to rework his contract? It seems like every year Samuels has to go through this but the ultimate underperformer isn't being asked to do anything.
I've heard Brunell may be approached at some point for a restructure but right now we've obviously got more pressing issues.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
Keep in mind that a "simple restructure" to reduce cap hits would only reduce his guaranteed salary for this year by converting it into bonus - thereby increasing the hit later. If the Skins were to do that, it would make Brunell harder to get rid of later.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #13
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Ah, that makes sense. His contract is really going to kill us in a couple of years though.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I'd accept a really, really awful off season in exchange for a great season. It seems to me that every year we are the offseason winners and it never equates to anything.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat
I'd accept a really, really awful off season in exchange for a great season. It seems to me that every year we are the offseason winners and it never equates to anything.
Yeah good point, being champs of the offseason has gotten us nowhere.