Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coles back to the Jets?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Coles back to the Jets?

As reported in the Washington Times they mention an interesting but unlikely scenario of sending Coles back to NY in exchange for DE John Abraham.

The article also mentions the team is frustrated with Coles' attitude and unwillingness to have toe surgery.

We may also be interested in just cut Titan's CB Samari Rolle, but character issues could be a potential snag.

We also re-signed RB John Simon, we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief now!

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Coles back to the Jets?

You know the more I think about Coles leaving the more I don't care if he leaves. I think him not having surgery on his toe is hurting the team. Is he just refusing to have it done so we will want him to leave? This would make his negotations about the signing bonus work in his favor because we do not want him if he refuses surgery. Would other teams want him if he refuses to have surgery and would he opt to have the procedure after we let him go? He must be realy unhappy because it will be hard for him to receive a contract close to what he has now. I think there is alot we do not know about this situation.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

With the departure of Coles whether its a trade or release. It's going to be interesting to see who else goes. We're obviously are taking a huge cap hit if we trade Coles, so that means that we might have to "unload" some of our bigger contracts or restructure some contracts. Either way this whole thing is all f****d up now.

Thanks LC.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

The Skins are trying to have Coles still give up the $5M bonus he is due even if he is traded, but the players union is very likely to raise a stink about this.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Can the Skins still restructure LC's contract before they trade him?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
Possibly, but the bottom line is they owe him his bonus money, I'm not sure if a restructure will help any, and again, the players union will probably raise holy hell regardless of what the Skins try to do.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Possibly, but the bottom line is they owe him his bonus money, I'm not sure if a restructure will help any, and again, the players union will probably raise holy hell regardless of what the Skins try to do.
Damn this sucks. I swear we're cursed man. Hate to sound like Boston Red Sox fan, but I feel like we're cursed. Dammit.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Coles would have to agree to any restructuring of the contract he is about to dissolve. I doubt he would accomodate the Front Office in any way at this point.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
Coles would have to agree to any restructuring of the contract he is about to dissolve. I doubt he would accomodate the Front Office in any way at this point.
I disagree, I think he would be happy to accomodate the front office if it means he can get the hell out of here. One possibility for him is to give the $5 million bonus back to the Redskins, making the cap hit easier and therefore making him more tradeable. Then, once he's traded, he would ask that his new team give him the $5 million bonus back. This way he'd come out even on the deal, the new team would have a stud receiver for only a $5 million bonus, and the Skins would get a player or picks in return.

And a $5 million signing bonus for a player like Coles is a real good deal. Even with the toe questions, it's a good deal.

But like Matty said there are questions. The union might have a problem with this arrangement (though I wouldn't expect them to have a whole lot of ground to stand on). Secondly, Coles would need to find a team with some cap room to be able to take him on. With this Jets rumor, they're a little tight to the cap like we are. And keep in mind, all this stuff needs to get done by March 2 in order to clear up the salary cap picture and allow us to enter free agency with a clear idea of how much we can afford. Plus Samuels needs to restructure by then. The front office is going to be working lots of OT, I know that much.

The other thing that sucks, if he's only giving back $5 million, the cap hit is even bigger this year than it would be if we kept him on the team.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
Krills
Special Teams

Quote:
Damn this sucks. I swear we're cursed man. Hate to sound like Boston Red Sox fan, but I feel like we're cursed. Dammit.
It all started with the renaming of Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.
Krills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #11
PFunk26
Special Teams

I say we dump the punk. I used to respect Coles cause he didn't complain about anything. Now he sounds like "Throw me the Damn Ball" Keyshawn Johnson and I don't want that crap. If 90 catches ain't enough tough crap, and he won't even get his dang toe fixed seriously? I think Gibbs will make it work with someone else so good riddance Coles, it's really to bad cause next year you would get the ball all the time, Ramsey loved throwing you the ball even sometimes when he prob shouldn't have. Sorry for my rant but I'm sick of I don't get the ball enough whining. Give us some $ back and pack up your stuff and go!
PFunk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

It's not wanting the ball - it's wanting a real offense that gives him a chance to succeed. Obviously he doesn't feel Joe Gibbs can provide that for him.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #13
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I would rather keep Coles, but if he isn't going to be 100%, then I'm not sure if that is going to do us any good. Also, if he is not happy being in Washington, then I think it shows another dimension of Gibbs' respect for his players by letting them go if they want to.

After all, how effective can a player really be if he doesn't want to be here? Okay, Bailey played pretty good for not wanting to be here, but he's the exception to the rule. How about Jeremiah Trotter? Look what he did for the Eagles this past year...... honestly, the more players we have here who WANT to be here, the better off we'll be!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
It's not wanting the ball - it's wanting a real offense that gives him a chance to succeed. Obviously he doesn't feel Joe Gibbs can provide that for him.
I can understand that, but it just seems odd he's not willing to give things a chance to see how things change this year.

Like someone said before, I think there's alot to this situation we don't know about.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

My guess is Gibbs told Coles his plans for next year and they didn't exactly excite him. We won't know till mid-way through the season next year.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote