Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Positives & Negatives: Coles' release

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Positives & Negatives: Coles' release

Positives:
-If he's that unhappy where he wants out, he's the kind of guy you definitely don't want on your team. If he doesn't want to be part of what's being built here, I'm in 100% support of letting a player go no matter how good he is.

-His toe has been a topic of concern since the day we found out about it. Perhaps part of the reason the team is being so accomodating with letting him go is they feel he's just not the same WR with the toe injury. Perhaps they feel he's not a true #1 WR anymore and they could improve the situation by moving on without him.

-The cap. Since he's expected to give back a part of all of his due bonus, that at least gives the team some wiggle room to pursue a replacement and long term this might actually benefit us, especially in 2006 when the cap is supposed to be a concern for the team.

Negatives
-Coles always gave us 110% on the field. Nobody will ever question his toughness either. He seemed to be a 'core Redskin' until this bombshell.

-If he doesn't give back all of his bonus we're going to have to take a cap hit, just depends on how much.

-I'm not sure yet if this reflects more on the team or on Coles. Are things really that bad? Does Coles truly believe things aren't going to improve next year? Does he just have some philosophical differences with this staff when it comes to the offense and his role? Or is Coles just not the guy we thought he was. To be fair we never really know what goes on in these guys' heads. When the going gets tough Coles wants out? That's the last thing I thought I would ever have to say, but maybe it's true?

Advertisements
Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Re: Positives & Negatives: Coles' release

negative for me is that this sets a bad precendent.

Gibbs needs to make some sort of comment or somethign on this. It cant just happen without an explanation to the fans. Whens he going on a radio show again, I got some questions for him now
Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
negative for me is that this sets a bad precendent.

Gibbs needs to make some sort of comment or somethign on this. It cant just happen without an explanation to the fans. Whens he going on a radio show again, I got some questions for him now
He'll address it I'm sure. How much he'll really say is the question.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Well, I guess we tack up Coles to another non Gibbs era mistake. Gibbs is going to make this more of his team then I thought. The burdon is even more so on his shoulders now. Ive got faith though, time to wait and see.

As for coles, heres a postive, hes going to injure his toe really bad in training camp for another team, have to get surgury, and end his career. No mercy at this point...bahh, damn you for making me have to curse you coles
Old 02-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Positives: We get Williams from USC

Negatives: I have to get another authentic jersey reworked.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I just posted a question in another thread askign who owns a coles jersey. I guess you are the first victim to come out speak.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
dirtbag2112
Special Teams

Atleast we won't have to wonder about his decision not to get surgery or the cleaning crew at Redskin park accidentally throwing away his prosthetic.
dirtbag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Positive: I understand that Coles had a finger injury this past season, but didn't anyone else feel he was dropping an alarmingly high number of catchable balls? If he had been a few inches taller I would have sworn he was Gardner on some of those plays. Coles has been one of my favorite players over the past few seasons, but he is far from healthy and seemingly on the decline. He was supposed to stretch the field, but his toe hasn't allowed him to maintain the same speed that got us all so excited when he was brought here initially. I'll be sad to see him go, but I don't believe he would have been a #1 receiver on many other teams the way he played last season.
CooleyAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

For me, like I posted in the other thread, with many players being tough to resign and our top two WRs (at least?) asking for trades - this does not sit well. Do they think we don't have a shot at winning? That scares me.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

There's also a bunch of other guys that seem to think the team is headed in the right direction.

Pierce had a great comment on the end of the year when he said the team didn't play like a losing team.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

A lot of players can say the right things and not mean them. Actions speak louder than words, and until his name is on that contract let's not speculate 8)
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

This is just a thought I had.Maybe he was unhappy last season and the only reason he stayed was his toe injury. Toward the end of this season he took a cortisone shot in his toe which he said helped and elected not to operate.An operation would hurt him big time as a free agent. Now that his toe feels better he wants out because now can past other teams physicals and can run a fast 40.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #13
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe
Positive: I understand that Coles had a finger injury this past season, but didn't anyone else feel he was dropping an alarmingly high number of catchable balls? If he had been a few inches taller I would have sworn he was Gardner on some of those plays. Coles has been one of my favorite players over the past few seasons, but he is far from healthy and seemingly on the decline. He was supposed to stretch the field, but his toe hasn't allowed him to maintain the same speed that got us all so excited when he was brought here initially. I'll be sad to see him go, but I don't believe he would have been a #1 receiver on many other teams the way he played last season.
welcome to the board.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
GoSkins!
The Starter

Well, we have heard what Coles wants, and what Gibbs will let happen. What we don't know yet is what Snyder is going to do. I bet that Snyder brokers some kind of deal to get us a new receiving threat using Coles as the trade. I bet phones are going off all over the NFL over this development.

Here is a senario...
We agree to let Coles buy back his contract and he allows us to seek the trade and franchise him. This way, he can still seek the team he wants, but he is then obligated to make them provide some compensation for him.

I'll be very surprised to just see him leave without getting anything for him. It just doesn't ever seem to work that way in the NFL. If he does, I would have to believe that the Skins think his injury will never allow him to be worth his salary.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
dirtbag2112
Special Teams

With the exception of 1 or 2 games last season, we were right there in every one. Thanks mostly to our defense, we SHOULD have beaten devision rivals such as Dallas and Philly. Despite a new staff and totally new system, we were simply victims of circumstance. ie: Injury bug, horrendous officiating and the 1 mistake that was Brunell. Hopefully this year these problems will be put behind us including any players
who model themselves after "TO".
dirtbag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote