Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our WR options

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Our WR options

With Coles and Gardner both on the way out the face of our WR corps will be dramatically different next season. Let's take a look at some of our options.

The draft:
If we sit tight at #9 I would think taking a WR is a must. Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards are the top two prospects, with Troy Williamson and Mark Clayton close behind. Obviously Williams and Edwards are the top targets here. Edwards stock has been on the rise and he looks like a probable top 5 pick now. Williams could slide to 9, Williamson should definitely be available.

Free Agency:
Not a whole lot here, Plaxico Burress and Jerry Porter are the top targets, and of course Muhammad with his expected release due to cap reasons. Problem is none of these guys are going to come cheap, with Muhammad likely being the most expensive, Burress 2nd and Porter 3rd. All of these guys have their concerns, Muhammad is getting old, Burress has knocks against him for his focus and work ethic and Porter for route running and inconsistency. The bright side is there is bound to be some cap casualties like the rumored expected release of Derrick Mason. Let it be known now that if Mason becomes available, I think the Skins should push hard to sign him. I was a fan of going after him before the Coles announcement and even more now.

Fill the job from inside:
Some people on the board are Taylor Jacobs fans, some aren't. The bottom line is we haven't seen enough of him to formulate a solid opinion either way. We've always heard promising things about him during camps, supposedly he has solid hands, good quickness and speed. He's got the natural abilities you look for in a WR, but we've yet to see it translate to the field. Perhaps this is just the chance he needs. This is a sink or swim chance for him.

Thrash:
As we saw from his time in Philly, he's definitely not a starting quality WR. His role was going to be expanded even before the Coles announcement, but I can't see him filling more than a #3 role with the team. If we head in to the season with Thrash as a starting WR (#1 or #2), we're in trouble.

McCants:
All of a sudden McCants is in a very interesting position. He seemed to be on his way out after spending most of '04 in the doghouse, now will the staff give him another look?? He has a nice rapport with Ramsey, it will be interesting to see what unfolds with McCants this offseason.

Advertisements
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Re: Our WR options

I think you have to give jacobs a hot. He looked like a great prospect out of college, yea he was from Florida but he still looked good and was supposed to be a steal in the second round. The other thing is Ramsey loves the big target in McCants.

I dont see Williams or Edwards being available at 9. The lastest mock draft I was had them going 4th and 5th. That Troy Williamson guy looked interesting though and is said to be the fastest guy in the draft. I havent seen him, anyone here have some better information about him.

I still say with the 9th pick you go best available though. It might be to early to take some of the other receivers.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Know what though, I've heard that Gibbs and his staff really have their eye on Troy Williamson more than anyone else. I forget where I heard that, I'll try to find it and post it.

We've been giving a lot of attention to Edwards and Williams, but from what I've heard of Williamson, a junior who declared himself draft-eligible, is that his potential may be as high as any receiver in the draft class this year. Maybe we should take a hard look at him. Maybe he could still be gotten by trading down from the 9th spot?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

it was that article that sed they had dinner with him
Old 02-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

With all the WR talent that is probably going to be in the free agency (especially with coles and possibly derrick mason) I wouldn't be suprised at all if Mike Williams fell to the #9 spot. I think Mike Williams would be the best thing for our team with his size he could get us in the endzone instead of being shut down on the one yard line.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Duffman - We'd have to run a play besides a run up the middle in order for that to be even a possibility.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Free-agents, draft, whatever happens, this is big trouble. Ask the Lions and Cardinals how their rookie receivers are faring. Williams may be good in a few years as will Edwards but they won't make an immediate impact. The question will be if Coles release will open up enough cap room to go after a Plaxico! At 2 mil under, that's no where near what is needed to sign a premier receiver. Jacobs, McCants, Thrash et all, if they were starter potential, they would already have been starting with Coles being hurt all year! Joe thought that Coles with a bad wheel and Gardner with bad hands was better than any other skins receiver. So here we go into the season with an offense that now has no wr threat. Think we'll see a lot of 9 guys up in the box?
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
rome108
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Duffman - We'd have to run a play besides a run up the middle in order for that to be even a possibility.
so true, so true...
rome108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Also, think about this... with Ramsey just now maturing into the #1 QB just how many passes were even CATCHABLE until Ramsey came in. We really didn't even get a chance to look at our receivers til the second half of the season. Also, with talk of Gibbs opening up the playbook, I think that a solid pick in the draft or FA would fill the voild.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
Balmerskinsfan
Camp Scrub

God, not another free agent signing, please.
Balmerskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
offiss

I think Gibb's likes rookie reciever's he can teach them what he want's them to know, not have to unteach what they know, he alway's did well with unknown reciever's, Monk was the only WR with a rep that Gibb's had his first go round, Clark, Sander's, Garrett, Brown, these player's were not high profile player's before they arrived in DC. I beieve all our WR concern's can be taken care of with this draft, I have no doubt's about that, the concern is dealing with Coles's cap hit I really hate to have to give him away.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Just as was mentioned in other threads... there might be some cap casualties that could come very cheap to fill out WR needs. NOW it seems as though we could use a couple of WRs and Andre Davis and Derrick Mason should become available. Will they be worth the price? Who knows. Are they worth a look if the asking price is right? Most definitely when we still have a great pick in the draft.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
What I meant was when we are on the one yard line, like against the cowboys in the first game. We could throw a lob pass to Mike Williams who is probably an average of 6 inches taller than the average cornerback in the NFL.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I would love to see a few more lob passes when we get someone who can handle them. Ramsey showed he has a lot more touch than I gave him credit for AND I like the fact he can force it in there to Cooley. That bootleg play was the only play I thought the Redskins ran consistently well even with Brunell.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I understand that Duffman - I just don't think we will. For gods sake we could throw a turnover and make them still have to go the WHOLE DISTANCE OF THE FIELD on our defense!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote