Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Draft grades

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How would you grade the 2023 Commanders draft?
A 5 10.87%
B 18 39.13%
C 17 36.96%
D 4 8.70%
F 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Draft grades

2023 NFL Draft Grades: Mel Kiper Jr gives the Washington Commanders their highest score

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Draft grades

I think a B is solid on paper right now.. The Defense has no excuse anymore of giving up big pass plays.

DL should have a bigger impact too with CY Being healthy.

I wish we had grabbed a TE / OL in the 2nd RD but hopefully it'll pan out for us in the end.

Excited to see Sam and Jacoby battle it out this summer
Old 05-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
GridIron26
Playmaker

Went with B since the draft wasn't exactly exciting but at the same time, the team filled in the DB and guard needs. Would have been better if we drafted a LB, although Keim did say that the team had a few LBs they were targeting but they weren't available. Time will tell how the team actually did with the draft.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

Solid B for me too. Obviously we won't really know until 2-3 years but just grading it for what it is right now I like how we doubled down on the defense. The big thing this defense has lacked is big plays/turnovers. A young QB's best friends are a TE, running game, and a strong defense that can give you plenty of short field opportunities. The way NFL offenses operate these days you need a lot of talent and depth in the secondary.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:02 AM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

This is why draft grades are meaningless though
Old 05-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

The draft is absolutely fantastic until proven otherwise. Fuck everyone's mock drafts and big boards. Those mean nothing. The men on the field is what counts.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

LOL. Wonder if this person is still doing mock drafts for a publication?
Old 05-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #8
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

I didn't have Kam Curl pegged as a major bargain as a 7th rounder coming out of the draft a few years ago. I also didn't realize McLaurin was going to be much more than a standout special teamer. Neither did any of the talking head experts. Just pointing out tangible examples of how these grades are pretty meaningless.

Still I think you can focus instead on what the team did to position themselves to fill their needs. I thought they could have done more moving up / down to get in a spot where they could fill an offensive line position with a more promising player. The two guys they got might be fine but these are the rounds where we got Wes Martin so...

I think Mayhew and Rivera lack creativity and aggressiveness sometimes (all of the time?). That's a point of frustration for me. As for the players they actually landed, too early to tell but I can see the logic on both Forbes and Quan so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how well it works.

In the end, the things I think will make or break this season are whether Chase Young erupts into a star, and does EB get value out of Howell. The draft didn't really change that thinking for me whatsoever, like made no dent in it, so I can't give it more than a B.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I didn't have Kam Curl pegged as a major bargain as a 7th rounder coming out of the draft a few years ago. I also didn't realize McLaurin was going to be much more than a standout special teamer. Neither did any of the talking head experts. Just pointing out tangible examples of how these grades are pretty meaningless.

Still I think you can focus instead on what the team did to position themselves to fill their needs. I thought they could have done more moving up / down to get in a spot where they could fill an offensive line position with a more promising player. The two guys they got might be fine but these are the rounds where we got Wes Martin so...

I think Mayhew and Rivera lack creativity and aggressiveness sometimes (all of the time?). That's a point of frustration for me. As for the players they actually landed, too early to tell but I can see the logic on both Forbes and Quan so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how well it works.

In the end, the things I think will make or break this season are whether Chase Young erupts into a star, and does EB get value out of Howell. The draft didn't really change that thinking for me whatsoever, like made no dent in it, so I can't give it more than a B.
Agree here, they are way too lackluster and content with the "process". It's a win now league and Ron has had 4 yrs now to win and hasn't
Old 05-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #11
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Going to have a new owner this month. And we will either win 10+ games or have an all-new front office/coaching staff in 2024.

Times are good in Manderville!!
Old 05-01-2023, 12:11 PM   #12
vallin21
The Starter

Solid B.

We drafted a playmaking CB in Forbes. A hybrid S, slot CB in Martin. Stromberg could start at C. Henry can contribute at DE. Kaz Allen could make the team as our PR/KR. Not drafting a TE is my only negative. Clearly they’re betting on a healthy Thomas, and improvement from Bates, and Turner.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Biggest 2023 NFL draft questions for all 32 teams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-all-32-teams

Did the Commanders improve their offensive line?

Washington's front struggled last season, allowing the seventh-most sacks in the NFL (48). The Commanders did add two starters in free agency in center Nick Gates and tackle/guard Andrew Wylie but did not draft a player who would be projected to start in 2023. That means they still have a void at left guard. But one of their past drafts might yield the winner there -- Saahdiq Charles (fourth round, 2020) or Chris Paul (seventh round, 2022). Third-round pick Ricky Stromberg also will have a shot, but his best spot might be center. The Commanders have good talent at running back and receiver and intriguing young tight ends, but need a stronger line to protect inexperienced quarterback Sam Howell.

-- John Keim
Old 05-01-2023, 08:00 PM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

C. not sure if they got OL starters, seemed to reach a bit based on projections. If a "reach" makes 6 pro-bowls...

We won't really know for 3-4 years most likely, and I don't hate the players they got.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #15
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Biggest 2023 NFL draft questions for all 32 teams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-all-32-teams

Did the Commanders improve their offensive line?

Washington's front struggled last season, allowing the seventh-most sacks in the NFL (48). The Commanders did add two starters in free agency in center Nick Gates and tackle/guard Andrew Wylie but did not draft a player who would be projected to start in 2023. That means they still have a void at left guard. But one of their past drafts might yield the winner there -- Saahdiq Charles (fourth round, 2020) or Chris Paul (seventh round, 2022). Third-round pick Ricky Stromberg also will have a shot, but his best spot might be center. The Commanders have good talent at running back and receiver and intriguing young tight ends, but need a stronger line to protect inexperienced quarterback Sam Howell.

-- John Keim
This is exactly why I gave it a C. Granted, we know nothing right now.
But what we really don't know is wether or not we improved our Oline via the draft. Neither Stromberg nor Daniels are viewed like starters by most outside of Ashburn. I hope those analysts are wrong and Ron and co are right... But even when we were supposed to get studs in Wes Martin and Saadhiq Charles... they ended up not being starting material.

I see none of you really excited about those 2 players (the way some were for Charles ie), it just makes sense because we filled a need. But did we really ? Yeah I guess Oline depth is always a need... Anyway, I'm rambling, let's hope at least one of them turns into a solid starter for us.

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 05-01-2023 at 08:55 PM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote