Mr. Brightside

Re: 1/24/06 Lenny P. chat

matty, how u always get chosen for the chats? ive seen u in there a lot
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

LOL I dunno really.

I try to mix up the questions so he doesn't think I'm a Skins homer.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
LOL I dunno really.

I try to mix up the questions so he doesn't think I'm a Skins homer.
damn, just asked a skins question. prolly gonna get rejected.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
amorentz
Special Teams

I lied and said I was "Leon" from Pittsburgh, PA and asked the question as if it was critical to the Skins. We'll see if it works, cause I am definitely curious about the answer so Im willing to lie a little and phrase it in a negative tone if it works!
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorentz
I lied and said I was "Leon" from Pittsburgh, PA and asked the question as if it was critical to the Skins. We'll see if it works, cause I am definitely curious about the answer so Im willing to lie a little and phrase it in a negative tone if it works!
thats actually a good idea :headbange
Old 01-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Big C
Mr. Brightside

holy crap matty...u got another one on there!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
onlydarksets
Playmaker

How does this work - are they still taking questions, or do you really have to submit them early to get in?
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
onlydarksets
Playmaker

I just posted as ODS - we'll see if it gets in.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i have submitted 2 and neither have gotten in
Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
onlydarksets
Playmaker

I'm guessing they are done now.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
celts32
Playmaker

can someone please post the transcript?

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
can someone please post the transcript?
It's not accessible right now. Maybe they took it partially offline to clean up Pastabelly's answers to make them sound coherent.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
cpayne5
Playmaker

When the chats are over, they become Insider content.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

jim (sf): any chance the raiders hire art shell back as head coach, then bring in a quality OC like martz?

Len Pasquarelli: hey, the raiders always have something up their sleeves . . . looks like they are going to wait until after the super bowl to talk to ken whisenhunt of pittsburgh . . . but as i told chris mortensen monday night when we were kicking around the raiders' situation, i won't be shocked if they bring art shell back . . . please note, that's just speculation, nothing more

mattyk72, NY: Hey Len, XL seems like a great matchup with two very similar teams. Is Pittsburgh favored simply because of their popularity?

Len Pasquarelli: i'm not much on the point-spread stuff, other than to point out it's just a number by which the oddsmakers try to ensure a fairly equal distribution of the betting dollars, not a hard look at who's really the better team . . . i guess the steelers are just seen as a "hot" team right now

PAUL INDY: LEN ANY CHANCE THE COLTS FIRE TOM MOORE AND BRING IN MIKE MARTZ

Len Pasquarelli: not happening

Jerome (Davenport, FL): Was it a coup for the dolphins to be able to sign to former head coaches as their coordinators this week and do you believe they were good hires?

Len Pasquarelli: yeah, absolutely, . . . i will tell you that, at this moment, ther's a litlte bit of a hangup on the dom capers hire . . . nothing that will keep it from happening, i don't think . . . but don't be surprised to see him sign just a one-year deal as a consultant . . . but on a whole, yeah, nick saban has brought in two top-flight guys

Todd (Tucson): Len, what can you tell me about Jim Marshall - defensive coordinator for Seattle? I couldn't believe how well he shut down Carolina (a feat the Bears' couldn't manage).

Len Pasquarelli: actually, it's john marshall, but no big deal . . . a good coach and a really good man . . . very even guy, has been around a long time in the league, both as a LBs coach and coordinator, and i covered him a long time ago in indy . . . very knowledgable guy who did a terrific job for the seahawks after ray rhodes was forced to cut back his workload because of the stroke he suffered

Jason (Denver, CO): Now that the majority of head coaching positions have been filled, will San Diego's OC Cam Cameron stay put?

Len Pasquarelli: yeah, unless he finds his way into the oakland situation . . . and i haven't heard his name there . . . of course, as cryptic as the raiders can be, anything is possible . . . cam came very close to the rams job, so he's a name to watch

Dave (Hollywood): Len: Which minority candidate do you think was the most deserving of a HC position?

Len Pasquarelli: either ron rivera or tim lewis

Paul (Portland, OR): Speaking of Seattle shutting down Carolina, and Steve Smith in particular, I have been hugely impressed with Smith all season...until he started sulking when the game wasn't going the Panthers' way. Was that just frustration, or is it something Smith does more regularly than I realize?

Len Pasquarelli: steve's a very, VERY emotional guy . . . i actually think he did an admirable job this year of keeping his emotions under control . . . he matured quite a bit . .. i'm sure sunday was very disappointing for him especially with the buildup he got before the game and the perception that no secondary could shut him down

Rudy (Notre Dame): Len, whats the latest on the CBA? Will an extension done? I'm starting to worry.

Len Pasquarelli: the owners will meet again on thursday in orlando, but don't expect any major announcements . . . yeah, it is getting scary, because progress has been incremental at best

Mike (Boca Raton): What happens to Tom Donahoe? Is he back at ESPN next year?

Len Pasquarelli: i'm sure we'd be thrilled to have him back . . .as noted in the tip sheet, tom has some action going with a a few teams -- like atlanta and tampa bay -- but has to decide what he wants to do in 2006 . . . tom's kids are still pretty young and i know it would be difficult for him to relocate again

Bob (Brunswick, OH): Len, what's you favorite Primanti Bros sandwich? I am partial to pastrami with egg.

Len Pasquarelli: you know, i was never a big primanti's guy . . . i prefer the fish sandwiches at benkovitz's seafood, which, as you probably know, is not far from primanti's

Oz (DC): Len, what do you think Al Saunders is going to do with the qb situation in Washington? Do they hand the keys over to Jascon Cambell or is Brunell the hands down starter?

Len Pasquarelli: brunell probably remains the starter but, at some point, they've got to start preparing campbell, who has huge talent

Len Pasquarelli:

Jared (NJ): Len, I have to ask you this, Why do the Bills always hire the wrong coach since Marv... We hired Greg Williams instead of Marvin or John Fox, We hired Mularkey who did a decent job over Weiss or Romeo, and now Jauron over Sherman, Why?

Len Pasquarelli: i'm inclined to give jauron the chance to coach a game or two before i declare him the "wrong" guy . . . he's widely respected by the guys who have played for him, so let's withhold judgement for a while

Mike (Tucson): kubiak's replacement?

Len Pasquarelli: i still think, even with the contractual entanglements, it will be mike heimerdinger

Joe: San Francisco, CA: Len, should Pittsburgh's lack of a running game recently be a concern? Right now, Seattle appears to have better balance on offense. Or is Pittsburgh's running game a result of 8 men in the box?

Len Pasquarelli: yeah, the steelers haven't been as productive running the ball, but go back and look at the tape from sunday, and see how many of the big pass plays came against eight in the box . . . teams are buying into the fallacy pittsburgh can't throw the ball, and that's really opening up a lot of things for the steelers down the field

mattyk72, NY: Len, do you think some in the media may be scared of Al Davis? Seems like the Raiders are constantly a team in disarray yet you never hear much criticism go their way.

Len Pasquarelli: what's to be afraid of . . .that al's going to cut off media access? . . .c'mon, there isn't any access anyway . . . i think your premise is wrong . . . it's just that piling on the raiders has become a bit redundant at this point, hasn't it . . . it's like kicking a wounded dog around . . . plus, al couldn't care less what the media thinks

Logan (indy): Do you think the Detroit crowd will get behind the BUS and make it a Steelers' home game?

Len Pasquarelli: it won't take the detroit crowd . . .at the risk of being a bit provincial here, very few fan bases travel like the steelers' fans do . . . i expect ford field to be a sea of black and gold

dj (seattle): len, great (and quick) work on the XL preview. do you have miami in the playoffs next year?

Len Pasquarelli: wow, haven't started even thinking about next year yet . . . but, as i've noted here in the past, saban is the real deal . . . so, yes, i think they can contend

Chris, CT: Hey Len, Big Ben or Eli? I'm partial, but I still think Eli will be great...

Len Pasquarelli: i'm a big eli supporter, too . . . but, for now, ben is certainly ahead on the learning curve

Pat, Philly: Any chance the Birds are going to be able to get anything in return for TO? Is there any interest from other teams?

Len Pasquarelli: no and no . . . why trade for him when he'll be a free agent in about another month?

J.B Pittsburgh: Len, do you think BIG BEN has a chance to keep this team winning without a big play reciever and the recent lack of a running game in the future?

Len Pasquarelli: your crystal ball is better than mine if you already know the steelers will lack a running game in the future . . . so far, the lack of a so-called big-time receiver hasn't hurt . . . in fact, i think one of the hallmarks of this steelers playoff run is that ben has spread the ball around so nicely . . . cedrick wilson, who griped during the year about not getting the ball, has been a factor in the postseason . . . even nate washington had a catch on sunday

JKL (Boston): I think teams may offer something for T.O. because it is a guarantee that you can get him if you're not sure you would win the bidding war...Rebuttal?

Len Pasquarelli: your point is a good once, except for this one potential flaw: any team trading for owens will have to rework his contract, and you can't do that without his cooperation . . . so he's still callinig the shots . . .and, trust me on this, he believes his best chance for a big payday still lies in free agency

CK, San Jose, CA: Is there anything to do in Detroit?

Len Pasquarelli: well, apparently, they're playing this thing called a super bowl there . . . so there's at least one thing to do

Jeremy (Portage,PA): If Jerome Bettis retires after the Super Bowil.....will the Pittsburgh Steelers draft a running back or will they pick up a free agent?

Len Pasquarelli: i'll be surprised if the steelers don't take a RB in the first couple rounds

Len Pasquarelli:

Mike (PA): Is it possible that T.O. dosen't even play next year because no team wants to deal with him?

Len Pasquarelli: anything is possible . . . but some team will be tempted enough to do something with him

Jack (Birmingham): Len, if the Steelers lose Wisenhunt, who replaces him as OC? Grimm?

Len Pasquarelli: bill cowher often stays in-house on such moves, so grimm would be a viable choice . . .keep your eye, down the road, on steelers QB coach mark whipple . . . he'll soon be ready to be a coordinator somewhere as well

Brad (NM): Jauron's Coordinators?

Len Pasquarelli: been asked this seveal times and, honestly, don't know and haven;t really heard any names . . i do think the bills will keep special teams coach bobby april

Travis (Canada): If you were the agent for either Marcus Vick or Maurice Clarett what would be your advice career wise to them now?

Len Pasquarelli: join the plumber's union . . . no, seriously, they've both got to rehabilitate themselves off the field first . .. and that could, and should, be a quiet process, out of the public eye

Chester, SC: What's the real word on Daunte Culpepper and the Vikings? Is a trade in the mix?

Len Pasquarelli: you know, as much smoke as there has been about culpepper, i've not heard from one person of substance that he will be traded . . . and who's going to deal for a guy, at least right now, with three torn knee ligaments?

DallasWinsItAll: Hi Len, don't you think that Seattle is a bit underrated, being an underdog for the SB, despite having the best record in the NFC and with Pitt being a #6 seed ? In my mind this doesn't really compute. How do you justify the Steelers' being favored, other than that they are the popular/sentimental pick ?

Len Pasquarelli: that's why they play the games . . . we';re not into the "respect" card here . . .win on feb 5, and the seahawks will get more respect than they bargained for

Matt (CT): Will the 49ers be a ligit threat in the NFC West next season?

Len Pasquarelli: they'll be better, but not a threat to win the divisiion

Len Pasquarelli:

Anthony, Atlanta: Have you seen enough from the Seahawks this year to honestly think they can beat the Steelers?

Len Pasquarelli: sure, they can beat the steelers . . . what i don't know yet at this point, still nearly two weeks from the game, is if i think they WILL beat the steelers . . . check back next week for that

Len Pasquarelli:

Dave (Hollywood): Len: Have the Raiders interviewed Tim Lewis for their HC opening?

Len Pasquarelli: not to my knowledge

Nick (IA): Who is the home team for the Super Bowl?

Len Pasquarelli: the steelers

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): Will the Skins sign a good #2 WR?

Len Pasquarelli: don't know if they will but i'm guessing it's a pretty big priority for them

John (Kansas): Who are the top 5 free agents this year? See any of them going to the Chiefs?

Len Pasquarelli: not to be dismissive, john, or to make ecsues, but i really haven't had much time yet to rate the free agents . . . i've got a team-by-team list, but haven't broken it down yet by positions . . . i've gotten a lot of questions on the last few chats about free agency, but, to be honest, it hasn't been a prioroty yet . . . i'm sure, after the super bowl (and now that the head coaching jobs are all but filled), i'll be better able to answer free agent questions . . . again, sorry, but i'm just not as educated yet on free agency as I've been in past years at this point . . . but i'll try to catch up in the next couple weeks and be better prepared for these kinds of questions

Len Pasquarelli:

Len Pasquarelli:

Tman, Seattle: Why are the Steelers (a #6 seed) home team? We've got a way better record.

Len Pasquarelli: the home team in the super bowl rotates, from afc to nfc, every year . . . this just heppans to be the afc year to be the home team