Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Musgrave Moving On?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Musgrave Moving On?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...24falcons.html

Washington Redskins quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave will interview with the Falcons this morning, the team confirmed.

Atlanta asked for and received permission on Monday to speak to Musgrave. He coached Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub in college and is familiar with Atlanta's running and passing game.

The Redskins recently hired Al Saunders as offensive coordinator. The Washington Post reported that all of the Redskins assistant coaches recently received contract extensions.

The Falcons have been interviewing candidates to replace quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson, whose contract was not renewed.

Musgrave appears to be high on the Falcons' list based on his experience playing in the NFL and serving as an offensive coordinator in the league as well as at Virginia, where he coached Schaub in 2001-02.

Musgrave, a backup quarterback with San Francisco and Denver, has coached quarterbacks in Oakland, Philadelphia, Carolina and Jacksonville, serving as offensive coordinator with the Eagles, Panthers and Jaguars as well.

The Falcons hope to find a coach who relates well to starter Michael Vick and Schaub and can improve their effectiveness in coordinator Greg Knapp's version of the West Coast offense. Knapp also works with quarterbacks.

Musgrave also has experience working with left-handed quarterbacks — Vick is a lefty — having worked with Mark Brunell in Jacksonville and Washington.

Advertisements
Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
scowan
The Starter

Re: Musgrave Moving On?

If Musgrave leaves, the Redskins will be in fine shape now that they have added Saunders. I wish Musgrave the best!
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Interesting... I wonder if Saunders wants to bring someone in or if Musgrave is simply looking at what else is out there for him.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I'm sure Saunders is looking to pony up with some of his favorite staff to make the trip.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Washington Post does mention that Al's son Bob, most recently an offensive assistant with KC, may be coming here in the offseason.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan
If Musgrave leaves, the Redskins will be in fine shape now that they have added Saunders. I wish Musgrave the best!
Hmm. I'd like to see Musgrave stay for the purposes of continuity, but if Saunders can bring in some guys that develop as offensive coordinator candidates to eventually replace Saunders, that would seem to work out fine.

I always thought that if he ever got another shot, Musgrave would be a better offensive coordinator than he was with the Jags. I think he's probably learning a lot under Gibbs. But if Saunders can bring in some guys, then I suppose we're none the worse for the wear.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Hmm. I'd like to see Musgrave stay for the purposes of continuity, but if Saunders can bring in some guys that develop as offensive coordinator candidates to eventually replace Saunders, that would seem to work out fine.
At some point, there's going to be friction between coaches with conflicting offensive philosophies. Musgrave's a "Walsh Coast" guy, while Saunders is a "Coryell Coast" guy -- basically the opposite end of the spectrum. Of all the assistant coaches, this move would surprise me the least. The shotgun formation will likely be scrapped, and I imagine Gibbs and Saunders will get their heads together for a new quarterback coach to fit in more with their scheme.

It'll also help with defusing all of the "too many chefs in the kitchen" flak that the team will undoubtedly get.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

I'm pretty sure KC used the shotgun though.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'm pretty sure KC used the shotgun though.
They may have. The shotgun basically gives the defense a major clue as to what play is about to be run, and according to what I've read over the past few days, that's something that Saunders deliberately avoids.

Now I wished I'd payed more attention to KC games this year.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
dmek25
MVP

losing musgrave isnt that big a deal to me.he was only here one season and if you look at it like a trade,all of us would trade musgrave for saunders
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
They may have. The shotgun basically gives the defense a major clue as to what play is about to be run, and according to what I've read over the past few days, that's something that Saunders deliberately avoids.

Now I wished I'd payed more attention to KC games this year.
Sounds like they do use it

Quote:
Gibbs sees virtue in running a play until the defense stops it, but Saunders preaches unpredictability. With that in mind, the Chiefs often ran out of the shotgun formation and passed out of traditional under-center formations, and would often run on third and five or longer and pass on second and short. Saunders almost never called the same play out of the same formation twice in the same game -- or even in a string of games.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Musgrave definitely helped, as Brunell played much better this year than last. But still having a qb coach who is more in tune with Saunders/Gibbs' offense should help, and his son is probably as good as anyone to teach what Saunders' wants the qbs to do.

All I needed to know about KC's offense is that Indy has scored 27 points a game for the last four years and finished #2 to KC over that time period. Add in a stint shaping the greatest show on turf and Saunders is our guy.

Last edited by memphisskin; 01-24-2006 at 12:46 PM.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
offiss

Good riddins, no big lose, it's not like we some kind of elite offense or anything, what has this guy's coaching abilities really done for us?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Good riddins, no big lose, it's not like we some kind of elite offense or anything, what has this guy's coaching abilities really done for us?
Career best numbers for Brunell??
Old 01-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS

The Falcons hope to find a coach who relates well to starter Michael Vick and Schaub and can improve their effectiveness in coordinator Greg Knapp's version of the West Coast offense. Knapp also works with quarterbacks.
Schaubs entering the final year of his contract and there a lot of people down here including myself that think that the Falcons could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Schaub (a la Rob Johnson or AJ Feely). The Lions seem like a likely suitor but that was more so when Mooch was still around.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote