Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is Kicker Top Priority?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Is Kicker Top Priority?

I am tired of the kickoffs barely making it past the 15 yard line. Starting FP is very important in todays nfl. We put our d at a disadvantage simply because Hall cant kickoff. I thought i had heard Frost could kickoff if need be but he must not be any better because we still had the master off the 55 yard kickoff playing for us. IMO we need to address this as much as our other needs simply because Gibbs likes to play the feild position game.thoughts???
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
RMSkins
The Starter

Re: Is Kicker Top Priority?

Kicking should not be a top priority but it should be adressed I think we should bring in some competition for Hall and see how it goes from there. I think Hall's injury really affected him this year in terms of kickoffs he was pretty solid kicking field goals. But overall I think Hall will overcome his injury and be ready to go in 2006.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I didn't get to see the games Novack kicked in expcept for the end of the first Seahawks game (since the Falcons game ended early). However if I remember right he got blocked 2 or 3 times. Was that his fault or the protections fault?
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Cooley 350Z
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359
I didn't get to see the games Novack kicked in expcept for the end of the first Seahawks game (since the Falcons game ended early). However if I remember right he got blocked 2 or 3 times. Was that his fault or the protections fault?
I believe his kicks were coming out low which resulted in those couple blocks. If he works on his form a little bit to improve the height of his kicks I think we should give him another loook.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
70Chip
Playmaker

I realize that in college kickoffs are from the 35 and not the 30, but why is it that nearly every Division 1 kicker I see regularly boots the ball to or beyond the goaline and the Redskins as a professional team have not had anyone who could get it to the 5 since Lohmiller? Possibilities:

1. College uses a different ball.
2. Shorter kickoffs are on purpose because they are easier to cover.

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Texanskin
Special Teams

I am tired of these punk kickers getting hurt. All you do is KICK!!!
I will tell you this John Hall better get his act in gear, he didnt kick ONE in the end zone. I would like to see Nick Novak back at Redskins Park.

Frosty just sucks. We need another punter as well. period.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Gibbs is God
Camp Scrub

WOW wat is happening to kickers these days?!?!?!
i thought vanderjagt was the best in the league up until he choked big time against pitt. john hall is DONE. im tired of waiting for him 2 come bak from injury after injury, we need a reliable, healthy, powerful kicker. where is mark mosely wen u need him.
Gibbs is God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
jordanz301
Special Teams

maybe we should give tom tupa another look, i cnt remmemebr did he leave from getting on the "ir" or fammily issues, cant rememmber...he was a decent punter
jordanz301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Dana87
Special Teams

I would like to find a Jeff Hayes Clone. Back in the 80's he was the Redskins Punter that also handled kickoffs for Mosley. He was athletic enough to run fake punts and kicked off very well. A player like that would be hard to find I know, but it would allow us to keep Hall at what he does best FG's without hurting him on KO's.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
dmek25
MVP

hall makes too much money and is too injury prone.isnt there any good kickers coming out of college?punters are a dime a dozen
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
SKinsFanatiK777
Camp Scrub

Hall stinks it up. We need someone with some leg. I can't stand seeing teams start near or at the 40 yard line. What happened to Novak, he was a great rookie. Maybe could have made that game winner against San Diego, and maybe would have made a crucial kick in the Seattle playoff game. Plus Hall is constantly injured and costs over 1Mil on the cap, dish him out to Buffalo or somethin.
SKinsFanatiK777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I believe after Hall's string of injuries, he's toast. Let's face it, when your range ends at 45 yards, something is wrong. That shouldn't be THAT difficult of a field goal for an NFL kicker. I know I'm not qualified to say, but I've always felt that a 45 yard field goal is somewhere in the moderate range of difficulty, but not a breaking point. I don't mind if we have one of those deals where there is a field goal kicker, a seperate kick off guy, and of course a punter.

As it stands right now - a kicker is a priority, but it isn't the TOP priority. That title would go to getting a Wide Receiver.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

1. Kicker is not nearly the #1 priority. In fact it may not even be #4.

2. What happened to the John Hall Adoration Society? When he arrived here from the Jets, his digning was one of the great thefts of NFL talent in history - - if I were to believe The Warpath threads at the time. Just last year when the Jets missed the playoffs because their kicker missed field goals in playoff games, people here chortled because the Skins had stolen the kicker who would have put the Jets "over the top". And now he's a bozo such that his replacement might be the team's "#1 priority"? Hall is a good but not great kicker; that's what he was when Danny Boy signed him and the rest of the "Jetskins" and that's what he will always be. If the Skins want a great kicker, it will cost them a lot more than they have been paying for Hall.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
1. Kicker is not nearly the #1 priority. In fact it may not even be #4.

2. What happened to the John Hall Adoration Society? When he arrived here from the Jets, his digning was one of the great thefts of NFL talent in history - - if I were to believe The Warpath threads at the time. Just last year when the Jets missed the playoffs because their kicker missed field goals in playoff games, people here chortled because the Skins had stolen the kicker who would have put the Jets "over the top". And now he's a bozo such that his replacement might be the team's "#1 priority"? Hall is a good but not great kicker; that's what he was when Danny Boy signed him and the rest of the "Jetskins" and that's what he will always be. If the Skins want a great kicker, it will cost them a lot more than they have been paying for Hall.
He's not a great kicker as you say, but the problem is that he's gone from being a good kicker in 2003 to being below serviceable. Injuries surely are to blame, but what's the sense in paying a kicker that can't kickoff more than 50-55 yards and can't make 50+ yard FGs $ 1.8 million? I know that given needs on WR#2 , O-line and Defense that we can't afford a Vinetieri or Vanderjagt, but we can surely get some competition into camp to give Hall a run for his money.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Hall's stock has fallen because he just can't seem to stay healthy and it's definitely hurt his power.

I don't think we'll cut him outright without having a solid replacement, I think he'll be challenged in camp, and not by some camp fodder kicker who's just there to keep him company.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote