Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Opening Day draft grade?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Luxorreb
^21^

Opening Day draft grade?

Please grade the Redskins- Zorn, Snyder, Cerrato and their draft choices as a whole at present. Skins kept them all, how many will actively contribute and at what price?

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Opening Day draft grade?

tryon is a total waste.
safeties are both looking like good picks, same with the punter.
TE will contribute this year for sure, WRs weren't expected to do much and they won't...
jackson and udfa fincher look like good low level depth, reinhart is a good backup.
colt looks like he could eventually be a good starter...

about what was expected to happen on draft day. one moderate miss, a couple slight values in the safeties and colt, and slow WR development.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

incomplete

please ask again in 12-24 months

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
charlielyons
Special Teams

I agree with most of this. Tyron is gonna need alot of work. Both safties will be good. Fred Davis will be solid and help Cooley to get open in the red zone and give Campbell another target. Brooks punting should be fine, but his key role now is holder. The WRs will contribute next year. Rinehart is a future starter on this team. Im a firm believer Colt is our future (he was Zorns choice, Campbell was Gibbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
tryon is a total waste.
safeties are both looking like good picks, same with the punter.
TE will contribute this year for sure, WRs weren't expected to do much and they won't...
jackson and udfa fincher look like good low level depth, reinhart is a good backup.
colt looks like he could eventually be a good starter...

about what was expected to happen on draft day. one moderate miss, a couple slight values in the safeties and colt, and slow WR development.
charlielyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I gave it a C- the day after the draft, because I looked at what we got on the first day: Devin Thomas, a one hit wonder receiver in college who seemed to be a fourth round value, Fred Davis a top second round talent TE who we got good value on, filled a minor need, but will be blocked by Cooley, and the oft-injured, but incredibly talented Malcolm Kelly.

So far, those three have been exactly what we've thought they would be. Devin Thomas looks like a rookie overmatched in the NFL, and we'll re-evaluate at this time next year. Davis looked very good in preseason, but still happens to be blocked by Cooley. Kelly has been injured.

However, the second day picks have been far better than expected. I wasn't expecting both Kareem Moore and Chris Horton to play so well, which makes up for Tryon playing so poorly. Chad Rinehart played very well in the preseason, albeit inconsistently at LT. Brooks won the punting matchup, and Colt Brennan looks like he has some sort of future in this league.

So based on the strength of the second day, I raise my grade from C- to C+.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
rypper11
The Starter

First day: F
I didn't like the WR picks then and hate them even more know. Thus far, we've gotten plenty of excuses from them and they've shown their poor work habits. Davis will be real good and will have to team with Cooley to be an every down receiving threat.

Second day:A-
I think each of the picks will contribute this year and for years to come (except for Tryon who will only help the team by boosting the morale of the receivers who torch him in practice week in and week out).
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I can see everyone developing into a decent or good player except Tryon. I dont even knowhow he made the team. It still puzzles me. I hope that he wasn't kept just to make the draft look good. Because he is horrible. A waste of the roster spot. Yeah he needs alot of work and like 2-3 more inches. I dont think you should draft CBs under 5'9 anymore atleast 5'10 minimum. This is a league of TO..Randy Moss..Chad Johnson..Reggie Williams..the superb stars are over 6'0 and the ones who aren't will burn you..like moss or steve smith,etc. He doesn't have the speed or the size. If they had cut him. I would have gave the draft grade a B- minus. But since they kept him. I give them a C- minus. Just for being stupid.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Tryon who will only help the team by boosting the morale of the receivers who torch him in practice week in and week out.

I agree.
The reason they kept Tryon is to build the confidence of the rookie receivers who have sucked so far...they need a morale booster.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlielyons View Post
I agree with most of this. Tyron is gonna need alot of work. Both safties will be good. Fred Davis will be solid and help Cooley to get open in the red zone and give Campbell another target. Brooks punting should be fine, but his key role now is holder. The WRs will contribute next year. Rinehart is a future starter on this team. Im a firm believer Colt is our future (he was Zorns choice, Campbell was Gibbs)
I agree and give them a B. If the receivers reach their potential (If not this year then next) this could be one of our best drafts in years. Horton looks like a baller and he was a 7th round pick. Also Jackson. If Erasmus James plays at a high level, then he's a steal for a 7th rounder next year. Of course hind-sight is 20-20 so we shall see.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I'll tell you on opening day 2010.

As for our 2006 Draft Grade - B

Round 1: (Traded for JC pick in 2005)
Round 2: Rocky
Round 3: (Traded for Ducket)(I think)
Round 4: (Traded to move up for Rocky)
Round 5: Anthony Montgomery
Round 6: Doughty
Round 6: Golston
Round 7: Kili Lefotu
Round 7: Kevin Simon

Hitting on a 5th and 2 6ths is pretty damn good no matter how you cut it. If his knees, hold out, Rocky is definitely a keeper. It appears that we got 4 quality starters, plus facilitated the trade for our (hopefully) franchise QB. Both 7's were whiffs, but they mostly are. The trade for Duckett ? <sigh>
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Too early to give anyone a meaningful grade. I'll say incomplete, extra work required.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

I'll give it a "See Me After Class"
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think it is too early to tell. Otherwise I would have to give you something along the lines that Thomas and Kelly were a waste of picks and Tryon should have been picked in the 6th round. And given the preseason play Davis, Rinehart, Horton, Jackson, and Brooks were good picks; and mancrush Colt was a bit of a steal and a good player that can develop into a really good backup and later on a starter for the future.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Too early to give anyone a meaningful grade. I'll say incomplete, extra work required.
I would have to agree with that . As far as Tryon , B. Wilburn looked bad his first 2 years and he and B. davis made major contributions to the 1987 Super Champion Washington Redskins . Hopefully Kelly and Thomas are tough and will work very hard at being the best WR's possible .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
redskinjim
Special Teams

both recievers picks were a waste. we need help at safety where we could have gotten kenny phillips whome we will see playing for the giants thursday night.
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote