Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Interesting insight to Snyder & Blache

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Interesting insight to Snyder & Blache

First let me say that Mike Wise is quickly becoming one of my favorite newspaper writers. This article about Snyder's courting of Blache and the implications on Gregg Williams is really fascinating. It's a long read, but well worth it..

washingtonpost.com

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Interesting insight to Snyder & Blache

Wise always pumps out good stuff.

Good read, Danny usually gets what he wants. And it's interesting to hear that it wasn't money that brought Blache back.

Quote:
"I got a minuscule [raise], literally minuscule," Blache said of Snyder's offer. "That night, he said, 'This is what I'm offering you because you've always been overpaid.' I said, 'All right, that's a real recruiting line.'

"Look, he's honest, he's real and he's got a heart nobody understands. He sold me on not having a Super Bowl ring and being there for the players and coaches. For me to come back and have a chance to get him a ring and help the players get a ring is a mission of mine and it's something that appealed to me. He didn't appeal to my mercenary side at all -- at all. He went strictly to the things that emotionally touched me."
Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

I think they honestly felt like Williams wasn't the right guy for the job. I hope Grills and Blache can work it out. They both seem like decent guys.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
KLHJ2
Inactive

I love this part

"I got a minuscule [raise], literally minuscule," Blache said of Snyder's offer. "That night, he said, 'This is what I'm offering you because you've always been overpaid.' I said, 'All right, that's a real recruiting line.'

Edit: Matty beat me to it, but that doesn't change my feelings about it.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think they honestly felt like Williams wasn't the right guy for the job. I hope Grills and Blache can work it out. They both seem like decent guys.
I can see where GW wasn't too happy with Blache but he should really cut him some slack. Blache was simply stuck in the middle. If anything Danny should have told GW about his decision prior to talking with Blache.

From the sound of it GW didn't have much of a chance for the job right from the start. And that's fine. You have to surround yourself with people that YOU trust and can work with. But why didn't they just cut him loose rather than dragging it out? That's my only gripe with that process.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
dmek25
MVP

what is the deal with Williams? the guy has a great defensive mind, but cant sell himself to be head coach. wonder why?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Wasnt part of the equation that Williams wanted the type of HC / GM role that fails miserably for most teams and we wanted Cerrato to have control over the FO?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
irish
Playmaker

That's funny because I think Wise is the worst of the Post's sports columnists. First he was trying to be Tony Kornheiser Jr. and that failed miserably. Now I guess he's trying to be Mr. Insider. I hope it works out better for him.

That said it was a good article.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Wasnt part of the equation that Williams wanted the type of HC / GM role that fails miserably for most teams and we wanted Cerrato to have control over the FO?
Yeah I think the amount of control he wanted was a factor. But something tells me that GW was never seriously in the running regardless of the power he wanted.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
redsk1
The Starter

Good article. I guess Snyder wanted Blache to commit before he let GW go. He didn't want to be left empty handed. I'm sure these sorts of things go on in most NFL hiring situations. Granted, Snyder, handles things a little differently, but let's see how this one pans out.

I still think GW was the right guy for the job, but hey what do i know. GW's has recently said he wants to coach again and that if the opportunity ever presents itself he would return to DC. Outwardly, it doesn't seem like he holds any illwill.

I do like Greg Blache but as i've said before i'd feel a little more comfortable right about now w/ a GW run D.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
From the sound of it GW didn't have much of a chance for the job right from the start. And that's fine. You have to surround yourself with people that YOU trust and can work with. But why didn't they just cut him loose rather than dragging it out? That's my only gripe with that process.
I agree. I wish they had been a little less cloak and daggerish with respect to Grills. All they needed to say was "We are going to do a thorough search and interview the best candidates. We anticipate that Gregg will be part of that process." And then do an interview and cut him loose. Leaving him hanging out in space looked real bad and made it seem like they were clueless when in fact I think they were very well organized and did a good job vetting and finding solid solutions.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

The whole replacing Joe Gibbs and staff was handled badly. By hiring the assistants before hiring the head coach sort of undermined the whole process. Any good head coaching candidate would want to hire his own staff. I think the Skins hurt themselves by doing the process ass backwards. Even though I think the hiring was done badly, I think in the long run, Jim Zorn looks worthy of an opportunity.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
what is the deal with Williams? the guy has a great defensive mind, but cant sell himself to be head coach. wonder why?
He sold himself 3/4 years by fielding a top 10 defense with average players & carrying a team with a below average offense. If Snyder didn't want GW then fine. Just tell the guy. Don't be an a-hole and leave the guy hanging for two weeks. Very very unprofessional by Snyder.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Warren85Ellard
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree. I wish they had been a little less cloak and daggerish with respect to Grills. All they needed to say was "We are going to do a thorough search and interview the best candidates. We anticipate that Gregg will be part of that process." And then do an interview and cut him loose. Leaving him hanging out in space looked real bad and made it seem like they were clueless when in fact I think they were very well organized and did a good job vetting and finding solid solutions.
If you had stopped at "Leaving him hanging out in space looked real bad and made it seem like they were clueless" I'd agree with you 100%. Snyder thought he would make Spagnuolo an offer that he couldn't refuse and was shocked when he didn't get him. Fortunately, he had Zorn on a very small list to choose from. By hiring the coordinators before the coach, it seems that Snyder doesn't understand the "chemistry" aspect of team sports.
Warren85Ellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

I dont hate the Dan i respect him for shellin gout millions and millions for trying to make our wildest dreams come true. Cmon...the man lured gibbs back...he has tried really hard for all the skins fans. There are reasons behind things sometimes that we never see.
i.e patrick ramsey. and other issues.
but you have to keep the faith that in the long run it was for the best.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote