Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Skins close with Samuels

According to this article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2000733

Quote:
Ironically, the Redskins are closer to a Samuels extension. Agent Jimmy Sexton and Washington negotiated Saturday, and the sense is that momentum is toward a new contract, one that might reward Samuels with the highest signing bonus in Redskins history.

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Skins close with Samuels

Lavar is not going to like that...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Highest Bonus in Skins' history??? DAMN! I dont know if he is worth somthing like that; if that is the case, his salary #'s better be pretty low for a long time. Were the Redskins so lets worry about now, and the future when it comes; so if thats what it takes to get him to restrucutre, so be it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
DCopper04
Camp Scrub

The signing bonus doesn't surprise me. Coles' bonus is currently the highest in team history at $13M. Seattle's tackle inked a deal with a $16M SB, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Samuels got a bonus in the range of $14M.
DCopper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
wolfeskins
The Starter

i'm not surprised either , samuels was suposed to get a salary of 9 mil. this year and 11 mil. next , so i say pay the man. he's already helped the team twice, this will be the third. the skins should reward him.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm sure next year at this time we'll be talking about someone else getting the highest signing bonus in Redskins history...and the year after that someone else...and so on.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Shane
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins
i'm not surprised either , samuels was suposed to get a salary of 9 mil. this year and 11 mil. next , so i say pay the man. he's already helped the team twice, this will be the third. the skins should reward him.

Chris Samuels is such tremendous player. To have Samuels and Jansen back and healthy, playing in a Joe Bugel coached line, we will be able to do some special things and it will make many other players a lot better.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #8
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Chris Samuels is such tremendous player. To have Samuels and Jansen back and healthy, playing in a Joe Bugel coached line, we will be able to do some special things and it will make many other players a lot better.
We will have the bookend OT now just need a center and another guard.......they won't be the resurrection of the hogs, but I think Bugel and Gibbs can put together a solid line to make holes for Portis and to protect our pocket-passer QB, Ramsey.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I don't think we need to replace Dockery. Give the kid a chance to grow. We always preach continuity and time, yet we always want to replace our young rookies. Dockery has made some VERY good plays, but he's also made some really stupid ones. He's young.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
Shane
Special Teams

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I don't think we need to replace Dockery. Give the kid a chance to grow. We always preach continuity and time, yet we always want to replace our young rookies. Dockery has made some VERY good plays, but he's also made some really stupid ones. He's young.
I'll trust Bugel's judgement..........but what I read they were concerned about Dockery's inconsistency, but who knows maybe Bugel will just work with him a little more and it will work out..And from what I've read, last year's offensive linemen we drafted were just backup material...........
Old 02-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Wasn't Samuels looking for about $15M for a bonus since that's what he stood to lose out on by restructuring?

Coles is the current title holder of the largest bonus in team history, Samuels should end up in the $13M-$15M range.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

I personally feel like $15 million is too much for Chris Samuels. But, that's what left tackles are starting to go for these days, given what Walter Jones got from the Seahawks. He got $16 million, and given that Samuels has not made the Pro Bowl in a few years (and when he did he made it as an alternate and then earned a spot because Pace sat out with an injury), I can't see giving Samuels more than $14 million. But as I've said before, the Skins are pressed to get it done, even if it means overpaying a bit, because they need the flexibility against the salary cap.

It will be nice having Samuels and Jansen together, gives you great comfort about having an immobile Ramsey take seven-step drops. I just hope Samuels improves his play and justifies the $15 million or whatever he's rumored to be getting. He hasn't played up to his potential the last few years.

And by the way, it's too bad the Skins didn't accept the offer Samuels submitted in January. They're going to end up paying him more now than Samuels asked for in January, because of the huge contract Walter Jones just got.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

So let me get this straight - we can pay Samuels a 15 million bonus, but we can't afford to pay Smootie a $13 million bonus. It'd be interesting to have a poll on who we think is more valuable to the skins.

Despite greg williams having a brilliant scheme and all, I'd say Smootie is more important than Samuels - he's the emotional leader of the team. If Samuels restructures for a $15 million dollar bonus with minimal 2005 salary, that would reduce his 2005 cap number to $4 million at most, putting us atleast 11-12 million under this years cap - isn't this sufficient cap room to re-sign everyone we want? Smoot, Pierce, FAs, Rookie pool.?
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #15
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Hurrykaine, I think most here will agree that a left tackle is way more valuable than corner.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote