Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Thomas Restructures; Saves $1.6 Million

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Thomas Restructures; Saves $1.6 Million

According to the Washington Times (I just posted the article in the news forum), Randy Thomas has agreed to restructure his contract - reducing his cap hit for 2005 by $1,600,000.

According the Washington Post (which asserted that the Redskins are now about $6 million under the cap - sorry, but I'm not sure if that includes Thomas' restructuring), Thomas' restructuring puts the 'Skins about $7.5 million under the cap. Plus, if Samuels re-signs, he will bring an addition $4 million in salary cap room for a total of $11.5 million of total room. After the Redskins cut several "lesser-known" players, the Redskins should have roughly $15 million of salary cap room (as well as several holes in the roster) during free agency.

If Coles is traded, the Redskins would have about $6 million in salary cap space to acquire new players to fill holes at wide receiver, tight end, cornerback, middle linebacker, and along both lines.

The Times has also reported that the 49ers new head coach is interested in Laveranues Coles. The 49ers hold the top draft pick in each round. Any trade with the 49ers would likely send the 49ers 2nd round pick (33rd overall) or their 3rd round pick (45th overall) and a player.

I really like the idea of trading Coles to the 49ers and acquiring their 2nd round pick. We'd be likely able to land a player like Mike Williams or Troy Williamson (whose stock is sure to skyrocket after he runs the 40 at the combine) and a corner like Corey Webster with our 1st and 2nd round picks.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Thomas Restructures; Saves $1.6 Million

or we can keep Coles and be better off financially. I think with a Samuels restructure everything will fall into place.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
Shane
Special Teams

The pivotal issue with Coles is how his health is perceived, I think. The interest in him is primarily based on the idea that he will be the player that got here a couple of years ago. Even if he undergoes surgery this offseason, he won't be recovered until sometime into the season probably.

I don't know what teams will look for for proof that he is back up to speed. I don't know that it is likely that he is with the arthritic big toe and the injury to it.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
drew54
The Starter

Pay for Coles now or pay for him later. I say pay now, bit the bullet and lets move on. We must get a high 3rd at least for him. Hopefully the 9ers are serious and we can walk away with the 33. Thats basically like having a first rounder, all be it a late first rounder.

I'm still thinking we can trade down from nine and get Williamson or another WR os similar skill and grab another draft pick.

I think having a mid round one, mid round two and our three would be nice. Throw in the high number two, and i couldnt be happier.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:31 AM   #5
huntz
Special Teams

OK. Get what they can for Coles (SF sounds good but looks like the Jets are interested) and go through the draft picks. Looks to me like if a trade is the solution, he'll be dealt for picks.
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Carnage
Special Teams

Hah Hah Plus it would serve him right to get stuck with the 9ers. Let him complain about wanting to be on another team out there.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

The Skins are determined to move Coles regardless of the cap hit. I applaude them for taking the leverage away from him. Coles thought he had the trump card, well, the Skins just reshuffled the deck on him.

Sure the cap hit will suck, but if they can restructure enough contacts, Samuels being the golden ticket in all this of course, it just might all work out.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
The pivotal issue with Coles is how his health is perceived, I think. The interest in him is primarily based on the idea that he will be the player that got here a couple of years ago. Even if he undergoes surgery this offseason, he won't be recovered until sometime into the season probably.

I don't know what teams will look for for proof that he is back up to speed. I don't know that it is likely that he is with the arthritic big toe and the injury to it.
He'll have to pass a team physical before any deal is official, let's just hope his toe is as healthy as he thinks it is.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
Bozzy
The Starter

If Coles is traded, is his cap hit traded as well?
Bozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzy
If Coles is traded, is his cap hit traded as well?
I wish, there's no way around a hit.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
Bozzy
The Starter

I don't understand that, when you trade someone, their contract, bonuses, get traded and the acquiring team has the pay them, so why would we still have to pay?

It's retarded.
Bozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I don't understand that, when you trade someone, their contract, bonuses, get traded and the acquiring team has the pay them, so why would we still have to pay?

It's retarded.
To discourage teams from dealing away guys like this all the time. Where would the recourse be for the team trading someone? And why would a team trade for someone if they had to pay a cap hit on top of everything else?

It sucks but it's the right thing, otherwise teams would do this all the time and get away scott free on huge contracts.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:

It's retarded.
His salary is traded, but any gauranteed money -as in a signing bonus- still goes against the previous teams cap. That's why so many players really want the big ones and aren't as concerned with the actual salary.

I agree with your view on it though!
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
The Skins are determined to move Coles regardless of the cap hit. I applaude them for taking the leverage away from him. Coles thought he had the trump card, well, the Skins just reshuffled the deck on him.

Sure the cap hit will suck, but if they can restructure enough contacts, Samuels being the golden ticket in all this of course, it just might all work out.
I'm glad the Skins front office is playing hardball with him......the bad thing is Coles won't have the surgery done on his toe....I wonder if this is toe thing is going to back fire on him.......Coles could be burning bridges at both ends.....he could find himself stuck if he doesn't pass and physical, and now he hasn't exactly endeared himself to the front office, coaches, players or even us fans wouldn't be the best work environment if he has to stay...of course if the Redskins start winning, winning soothes the savage beasts.........It will be interesting to see how it all pans out............Never a dull Redskin offseason...
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #15
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

6 mil would be great to have under the cap. we still need to resign Smoot, and Pierce plus other players. Send him to the Ravens for their first. Get Williams (hopefully) with our pick, and a defensive end with the other pick, then try our best to sign plaxico.