Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Full Blown Mutiny

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
illdefined
Playmaker

Full Blown Mutiny

is this what all this represents? all these 'core Redskins' have changed their minds. In Gibbs They Doubt.

Pierce and Smoot holding out just to see whats out there is understandable but still a slap to that Hall of Fame face. but Coles? this is unprecented here. no one doubts Williams of course, everyone loves him, but no one wants to wait for Gibbs to adjust and start putting up some points in the modern era. thats why the defensive players want to leave.

as us fans know, these close games are soul killers, the redskins have a cursed cloud over them. after all these guys say they want out, and with Coles being so spectacularly indignant, my question is: will Gibbs be the next one disgruntled?

the morale of this team will be rock bottom next year. then again, who knows. maybe less than zero offseason expectations is what this teams needs to click. or something.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Other than Coles it's all about the $$ with most of today's players, and a Gibbs coached team is no expection.

Winning does work wonders though as we've seen with the Patriots, but we're a long way from being confused with the best team of this decade.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
BossHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Other than Coles it's all about the $$ with most of today's players...
So what is it all about? I hope that Coles doesn't think he will somehow get on track to become an HOF WR. Maybe he thinks being traded after winning a SB will satisfy his career. This guy was a developing headcase after taking the fall for Peter Warwick at FSU. Coles you won't be missed.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
d151b
Special Teams

isay screw pierce. he has one good year, ONE. and now he thinks he's LT?! get lost man, we only want the peeps that want to be here!!!!!!
d151b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
illdefined
Playmaker

well so far that's only like Jansen and Ramsey. and Ramsey almost wanted to leave last year...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Wow! I can't believe how quickly people have turned against Smoot, Pierce, Samuels, and Coles. All those guys were praised and loved by so many 'Skins fans.

Can anyone honestly blame Coles for feeling frustrated? He's played his ass off for a team that has won 11 of 32 games since he's been here, he was totally misused last season as a possession reciever, and the wide receiving corps was a patsy for our troubles in 2004. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

As for Pierce and Smoot, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't try to get the most money they could. If you had the opportunity to earn several million dollars more by playing for another team, wouldn't you try to hit free agency? Neither of these guys are from D.C., they don't have any previous connection to the team, and they know they're about to hit the lottery. I can't say that we should be pissed at them for wanting to get the most money they can. Any player (or person) who says he doesn't care about money is crazy or a liar.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
d151b
Special Teams

like i said, we only want the people who want to be here. and lc...... well he signed a contract which he must honor in my opinion. it's the right thing to do. but now he wants to be a little cry baby b/c he's not happy...... cry me a river.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
illdefined
Playmaker

who's turning on who? being frustrated is one thing, turning your back to a team thats treated you well and poured attention to you is another. especially after all the things these guys have said during the season.

Coles is being particularly ruthless, because he wants the Redskins to PAY him AND let him go. he doesn't care about his contract, or the salary cap hell (and the massive PR and team headache) he's putting them through. much less the fans.

if Gibbs didn't feel out of place already, i'm certain he does now.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
dirtbag2112
Special Teams

I can understand LC's frustration. I was livid playing Philly the 2nd time around and we could only throw the ball laterally as opposed to vertically. However, I have complete trust in Gibbs. His success in the NFL was partially to due his adjustments and trying new things. Under Don Coryell in San Diego, Gibbs adapted to throwing the ball and attacking deep. After his first year as head coach in Washington, he realized that didnt work. So he completely revamped his offense into the smashmouth, clock controlling juggernaut that it was...and as we all know, had great success. Apparently Coles doesnt have the time to wait, or doesnt even think Gibbs can change. I hope he is one of the few if not the only one on the team to think that way.
dirtbag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Last year, Antonio Pierce gave the Redskins a "hometown discount". He had an offer from another team (Chiefs I think?) but was convinced to come back here on a one-year deal at less money. That's right, he played last year for less money than he could have gotten elsewhere. Then he had a break-out season.

So, when the Redskins did not bowl him over with a contract offer, he decided not to give them another "hometown discount" and decided to see what he's worth on the open market. The Redskins FO had exclusive bargaining rights with him for the last three weeks or so and didn't get it done. Maybe they thought they'd gat another discount?

Mark this down. When the Skins identify the free agent they really want so they can hold their annual early-March-news-conference-extravaganza, it won't take them long to arrive at a contract offer that the guy can't refuse and won't "shop around the league." Here's the pattern: Skins pay big money for anyone except the guys already on the roster. If you're on the Skins' roster, all you get is "market value or maybe a little below market value" unless your name is Lavar; if you are on somebody else's roster, then you can get a drop-dead blockbuster offer.

Coles' situation is different. Forget the motivations here; he wants to leave and it certainly seems as if the Redskins' organization is not going to fall all over itself to prevent that from happening. Whatever. But ask yourself this:

How did all of this leak out? Because by leaking out, it solidified the positions of the antagonists. Now if Coles pays back some money to get traded, it looks as if he caved to "the man". If the Skins now don't trash him and make him look like a greedy oaf, they come off looking like a second-rate organization. All this because some discussions between Gibbs and Coles somehow got to the ears of the Skins' beat reporters at the Post and the Times.

Find the guy who leaked the info and you have someone to blame for this mess.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
d151b
Special Teams

it's funny how easy it is to take the "hometown discount" when you haven't done anything to get otherwise.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Can anyone honestly blame Coles for feeling frustrated? He's played his ass off for a team that has won 11 of 32 games since he's been here, he was totally misused last season as a possession reciever, and the wide receiving corps was a patsy for our troubles in 2004. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.
I don't blame Coles for being frustrated, but wanting to jet after two seasons with the team he signed a long-term deal with? That's what I have a problem with.

What happens when he ends up with his next team and he becomes dissatisfied again, will he pull this crap again and leave his new team in a scramble to unload him?

I most certainly am disappointed and frustrated by his decision. Why should I support his decision? Explain that.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Pierce gave us a hometown discount?

If he had a better offer elsewhere (it was the Vikings that reportedly were interested) he would have taken it in a second.

Obviously the offer wasn't any better than what the Redskins were offering otherwise he would be wearing purple right now.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I thought Pierce was a RESTRCITED free agent last year. So we had some leverage. But whatever. Look, these guys want to get paid, Snyder is famous for the big payout, so why not try the market? Either you get a better offer elsewhere, or you force Danny-boy to open the check book, which he's done in the past. Gibbs wants to "change the culture" so the skins are holding back (sounds like a reasonable move to me). Everyone plays the media to there advantage, and round and round it goes.

As for Coles and the leaked story, I'm not sure who benefits from the crime. Coles looks LESS likely to be traded now, and has publicly claimed he won't do a giveback. His stock on the open market is low as it is with the toe. He was not helped by the story. The skins can't trade the guy to get any value, and can't cut him. They're likely stuck with a pissed off player, and they look bad in public. Maybe someone at redskin park was a little pissed by something Danny-boy said or did? Hmmmm....
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Monksdown
The Starter

Angry Re: Full Blown Mutiny

So we knew that Coles was a hard worker, we knew he was talented, and now we can add "quitter" to the list as well. What an asshole! And not only is he quitting, but he's trying to hold us over the "coals" for it. Screw you Lav.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote