Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Wiz and Skins: A Tale of Two Teams

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Wiz and Skins: A Tale of Two Teams

I don't know how many Wizards fans there are in this forum (or how many Wizards fans there are period), but I am always #1 a Redskins fan; and #2 a Wizards fan.

I never thought I would actually say this, but reading about and watching the Wizards is giving me more pleasure than reading about and watching the Redskins.

One of the main reasons for this is that the Wizards are a well managed team. They brought in an established general manager two years ago, and he promptly made a key FA acquisition and a great trade that have turned the Wizards into a contender in the east. Furthermore, the Wizards have been working hard to resign their own young free agents and develop a sense of continuity amongst the players.

I think the Redskins (and Dan Snyder in particular) should take a long hard look at the Wizards, and realize two things:

1. A good general manager can go a long way.
2. Owners should own; general managers should manage the team; coaches should coach; and players should play.

Its not rocket science, but it is amazing how often ego gets involved and has negative side-effects on sports franchises.

What do you guys think?
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Wiz and Skins: A Tale of Two Teams

That's a pretty true statement. It seems like the deepest correlation to any type of problem with the Redskins organization lies within the ego department. We have Smoot not wanting to take a few million less than he wants. We have Coles asking to be released because he wasn't happy with the way things were headed. We have people like Brunell who are now sitting the bench and should have earlier possibly due to Job Gibbs' ego.

It is a true statement indeed and I believe is seen all across the sporting world.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I mean when I really think about it, if I were to have the skills and talents to be a professional athlete, all I would really want is to have enough money to have a truly comfortable life for me and my family. If that would be a 10 mil signing bonus, so be it. But after that, it would truly be for the love of the game.

It's hard to say that even 1% of players in the NFL take the game first and the payday second. If people played in the NFL truly for the love of the game, they would forgo the fleet of Escalades, the 12 mansions and all of the other ludacrous things that rich people blow their money on and use what money they are paid to get by.

I mean it must truly take some nerve to get paid 4-10 million dollars a year and then ask for more. I mean think about that, I bet the combined income of pretty much all of the regulars on this board in their ENTIRE lifetimes will never equal even one year of salary for a pro-athlete.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
maxknee
Camp Scrub

the thing is, pro-sports have only been in recent years starting to get paid really high amounts. it doesnt help the fact with the yankees having probably close to a billion dollar pay-roll. but then again they do fairly well every year. if i played sports the league minimun would be great for me what is it, 300,000-500,000? thats really nice. you can still own a fleet of cars with that. you can still own more than 2 houses with that. whatever.

good analysis of the wizards analysis. most basketball teams are well managed i would have to say. its a shame that people dont follow basketball as much as football or baseball. i am going the wizards vs rockets game on march second thank god for college night.
maxknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Maybe it's me but Abe Pullin (sp?) is a real cock and makes Daniel Snyder look like an angel when it comes to owners.

I'm suprised the Wizards haven't choked yet. They've looked great before, and lost it at the last minute every time. I'd still like to see Arenas moved to SG and Larry at PG. Oh well!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Big C
Mr. Brightside

yeah ive been a wizards fan my whole life
Old 02-22-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Am I the only one that hates the new name/jerseys? I liked the Bullets!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Riggo44
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Am I the only one that hates the new name/jerseys? I liked the Bullets!
I'm a big Lakers fan. But it still bugged me when the "Bullets" threw out there history by changing there name & jerseys. :vomit-smi Why? Becuse it might offend somone? The "Bullets" were cool.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
maxknee
Camp Scrub

go 76ers. ai deserves more than what he's got on his team. but i dont think he'll ever want to leave philly
maxknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
skin4Life28
Special Teams

ABE POLON SUX!!!! So does Danny boy!!! Go Wizards good to be able to enjoy a basketball game from time to time now.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
ST21
Impact Rookie

Hey sorry guys, I'm only down with you guys, because we love the Redskins, but I reside in San Antonio, Texas, and the Spurs are the Shit....so I don't like the wizards, capitols...nothing like that....lets agree that the Redskins are love of our lifes...and not bring BBall in this......
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Good post Drift:

I agree that the Wiz are coming out of a very dark period due to good managing and a calm coach. But don't give up on the Skins yet.

Remember that last year the Wizards had Coach Jordan and Ernie Grunfeld and they were horrible, in large part due to injuries and a bad quarterback, uh, I mean Jerry Stackhouse. Continuity has been one of the reasons for the Wizards' success, even if it means resigning role players like Etan Thomas when the price may have seemed a bit steep. That is why team guys like Smoot are so important to resign, even if the price seems high.

I believe that the Redskins are progressing and will make similar strides to the Wizards next season under Coach Gibbs. This past season, however, the Skins looked a lot more like the Knicks than the Wiz. (Spend a ton, high expectations, no playoffs).

Arenas for three.....DAGGER!!!
CooleyAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

P.S. Wewhite, Manu Ginobili is awesome. Easily one of the most exciting guys to watch in the NBA (makes up for Duncan being so boring to watch).
CooleyAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah they get rid of the Bullets because it might offend somebody? I hate to be the bearer of bad news to Washington sports fans but our own beloved team also seems to offend other "certain" people and you don't see the SKINS changing their names. It's just about tradition. Too much PCness these days.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #15
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Not to mention - at least Bullets was descriptive of DC! If they were going to change it they should have been called the Traffic Jams.