Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Snyder looking to buy another "football" team

Other Sports

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Snyder looking to buy another "football" team

I know this story is relatively old, given that it surfaced in October 2007, but since Soccer is as popular in this country as the Eskimo ear pull, well lets say that it's no surprise that the story was overlooked.

Now if some of you remember a few years ago the Glazers bought Manchester United, and ironically the fans hate him for it. Robert Kraft apparently was looking to buy another prominent English soccer team in Liverpool but they found another buyer. Now Snyder is going after an English team of his own in the Tottenham Hotspur's.

The team reminds me a bit of the modern day Redskins in that they have a very loyal fan base, but from what I can gather they don't exactly have 3 Championship titles, which in Europe equates to winning the Champions League (which IMO is best descibed as a combination of March Madness and the NFL playoffs).

Anyway enough talk, heres the article, feel free to discuss you're feelings
Note: I don't know if this belongs in the locker room instead of the "Other Sports" section but I doubt this will generate that much discussion to begin with as a lot of people don't follow futbol.

Charles Sale
Is Redskins chief on trail of Spurs?

09:53am 27th October 2007 Comments

Daniel Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins — the second most valuable NFL brand after the Dallas Cowboys — is showing the most enthusiasm in the race to become the next American collector of a Premier League club.

Billionaire businessman Snyder, rich even by the remarkable standards of his fellow gridiron franchise owners, did not hide his interest when he attended the NFL-Economist sports business conference, Sport 2020, in London this week.

Snyder said: "We're actively looking for the right opportunity in the Premier League and are examining various opportunities. It's a very exciting market."

Tottenham, whose £450million asking price is around the same numbers Snyder paid for the Washington Redskins in 1999 — at that time the biggest transaction in sporting history — is Snyder's most likely target, with Spurs owner Daniel Levy prepared to sell at the right figure.
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who revealed how close he was to buying Liverpool before Tom Hicks and George Gillett, still wants to buy into the Premier League but he said his search was "on the back burner".

Premier wish: Daniel Snyder can't buy success with the Redskins, but could he do it for Spurs?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Snyder looking to buy another "football" team

Crazy. We had a soccer meeting at work today and we were talking about this very subject.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

But according to Green Street Hooligans Tottenham has "shit football and a shit firm." We don't want to be associated with that!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

NOOO this will tear me apart. I am a passionate Arsenal fan, and "cultured" Warpathers will know that Tottenham are our rivals, much like us Skins fans hate Dallas. This is bad news bears for me and I hope Danny doesn't this team.

I am first and foremost a diehard Redskins fan, but then the Wiz, Cavs and Arsenal come in a tie for 2nd.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Hijinx
The Starter

Doesn't one of the major leagues have a rule about owning a stake in another sport team? Is it the MLB?

I personally love English football. It is fun to watch most of the time and I love the fact that the losers of the league can get pushed down and a lower league winner gets to move up. I would like to see MLB try that. However this can make English football a slightly more risky proposition from an investment stand point.
Hijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
Doesn't one of the major leagues have a rule about owning a stake in another sport team? Is it the MLB?

I personally love English football. It is fun to watch most of the time and I love the fact that the losers of the league can get pushed down and a lower league winner gets to move up. I would like to see MLB try that. However this can make English football a slightly more risky proposition from an investment stand point.
That is true, but usually teams like the hotspurs do not fall out of the Premier League because they have a higher payroll and much better players than teams like Derby County.

Teams that will usually never drop out of the league: Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa, West ham, etc.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
"No person who owns a majority interest in, or has direct or indirect operating control of an NFL member club, may own or acquire any interest in a club in another major team sport (baseball, basketball, hockey), except for a club located in: a.) his/her NFL club's home city, or b.) a non-NFL city that is not a potential NFL city."

But if the Glazers can own Man U, then this isn't an issue
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
hooskins

But as I was just thinking, for the MLB to make the bottom few teams drop out and pick up minors would be cool because it prevents teams from tanking for picks. The problem with that is that minor league teams are owned by major league teams.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
"No person who owns a majority interest in, or has direct or indirect operating control of an NFL member club, may own or acquire any interest in a club in another major team sport (baseball, basketball, hockey), except for a club located in: a.) his/her NFL club's home city, or b.) a non-NFL city that is not a potential NFL city."

But if the Glazers can own Man U, then this isn't an issue
By major sport it means the major US sports right? Is that why English soccer is fairgame?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
By major sport it means the major US sports right? Is that why English soccer is fairgame?
I think it's part B that really applies
Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
That Guy
Living Legend

wouldn't really affect me any either way.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I know this story is relatively old, given that it surfaced in October 2007, but since Soccer is as popular in this country as the Eskimo ear pull, well lets say that it's no surprise that the story was overlooked.
As an eskimo and a soccer fan I am deeply offended on multiple levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Crazy. We had a soccer meeting at work today and we were talking about this very subject.
SmootSmack, was Ives there? Tell him his blog has gotten much better, but still can't hold a candle to Goff's. Then again, I'm a DC United fan, so I crave local content.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Cooley, they weren't there
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

English football is unbelievable this year. Of the 8 teams left in the Champions League, 4 teams are from the Premier League. So I guess that buying an English team is a pretty good investment. And I was wrong about the Hotspurs, they have won 1 European Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
As an eskimo and a soccer fan I am deeply offended on multiple levels.
Lol, I will only appologize for the Eskimo comtent, as I was just stating fact as it related to the popularity of futbol here in the states

Personally I think its actually kind of pathetic that ABC and ESPN constantly show Golf, Bowling, and Poker but when it comes to the worlds game we get next to nothing.

Thank God for Fox Sports Soccer and GolTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
But according to Green Street Hooligans Tottenham has "shit football and a shit firm." We don't want to be associated with that!
SAYS WHO? FROTO? Look, you know why Green Street fights so much? Because they root for WEST HAM! If I rooted for a team that lost as much as them I'd be looking for a fight or two myself.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote