The Strasburg Watch: Day 12 - DC Pro Sports Report

Our daily countdown is well underway.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
FRPLG
MVP

Re: The Strasburg Watch: Day 12

I agree...they knew it was going to take eye popping numbers to get him so they need to pony up. They look cheap AND stupid if they don't. If they didn't want to pay up then they should have drafted someone else. Then they'd only look cheap. Although the numbers Boars is looking is ridiculous beyond belief.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
dmek25
MVP

they knew all of this when they drafted him. just sign him, and start him tomorrow
Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Monkeydad
Living Legend

He'd be the best Nats closer if they brought him up today.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
He'd be the best Nats closer if they brought him up today.
He's probably the #2 if they bring him up today.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Nats won again. How much would it blow if they fail to sign Strasburg and they win just enough games to finish with the 2nd worst record behind KC and lose out on Bryce Harper.
But then again, there'd be a chance that KC would take Strasburg 1st overall next season and the Nats would be free to take Harper 2nd, and then they could start this whole "will they be able to sign him?" thing for a 3rd year in a row.

My head just exploded.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree...they knew it was going to take eye popping numbers to get him so they need to pony up. They look cheap AND stupid if they don't. If they didn't want to pay up then they should have drafted someone else. Then they'd only look cheap. Although the numbers Boars is looking is ridiculous beyond belief.
In 2007, the Pirates passed on Boras client Matt Wieters in order to avoid paying up, and ended up with Danny Moskos, a pick that was universally panned (Moskos is playing marginally well in Double AA while Wieters has already made it to the bigs). In order to avoid making the same mistake, the Bucs picked Boras client Pedro Alvarez in 2008, who waited, and waited, just as Strasburg is, and finally signed at midnight of the signing deadline. But even after he signed, Boras tried to claim that the sighing occurred after midnight and was therefore void (although it was ultimately resolved).

Meaning, when you're dealing with Boras, at least in terms of MLB prospects, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
In 2007, the Pirates passed on Boras client Matt Wieters in order to avoid paying up, and ended up with Danny Moskos, a pick that was universally panned (Moskos is playing marginally well in Double AA while Wieters has already made it to the bigs). In order to avoid making the same mistake, the Bucs picked Boras client Pedro Alvarez in 2008, who waited, and waited, just as Strasburg is, and finally signed at midnight of the signing deadline. But even after he signed, Boras tried to claim that the sighing occurred after midnight and was therefore void (although it was ultimately resolved).

Meaning, when you're dealing with Boras, at least in terms of MLB prospects, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Didn't Wieters also end up signing at the last minute with the O's?

And also, I think it they offer him something crazy, like say a $20 million signing bonus, which is nearly double the record, and he still doesn't sign the Nats don't end up looking cheap. Boras and SS will look greedy and foolish.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
He's probably the #2 if they bring him up today.
i would think he would be their best pitcher right now. who would you think is better?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i would think he would be their best pitcher right now. who would you think is better?
Lannan is their #1. Strasburg obviously is more talented but they're not gonna bring him in and make him the ace straight away. Nor should they. In fact it sounded like when they drafted him they weren't convinced he was Majors ready. Not that much of their staff is anyways.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Lannan is their #1. Strasburg obviously is more talented but they're not gonna bring him in and make him the ace straight away. Nor should they. In fact it sounded like when they drafted him they weren't convinced he was Majors ready. Not that much of their staff is anyways.
Tony Gwynn didn't really think to think so either, but he could've been trying to protect him in a way.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
redsk1
The Starter

Tick tick tick....my guess is they get it done. The Nats need to get it done but i'd respect them if they made a good offer to SS even if he turned it down.

The Nats don't need to give this guy 50 million. Make him the highest paid draft pick and if he doesn't bite let him play in the independant league for a year or over in Japan. If he doesn't bite he's an idiot.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I feel like I'm waiting on the results of a paternity test.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

For some reason, I don't see this happening...which is dumb on the Nats part, as they should have taken someone else if they weren't willing to give this guy the Moon...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
For some reason, I don't see this happening...which is dumb on the Nats part, as they should have taken someone else if they weren't willing to give this guy the Moon...
If they offered him, say, $21 million, which is double the previous record deal, and he passed saying that he wanted double that amount I can't blame the Nats. Yes, they knew it would probably take a record deal to land him, and it appears that they're willing to give him one but at a point it just becomes greed on the part of Strasburg and Boras.

Likewise, if Boras is really trying to use this situation to blow up the whole slotting process they Nats would be utterly screwing themselves in the long run for so many reasons. As of now they still have the worst record and a shot at getting the top pick next year (although they've been playing great ball so that could change) and Boras could again try to set a record for a position/power player like Bryce Harper. That would make two years in a row (3 in a row really) where the Nats would have to decide if taking the best player available is worth the risk of not signing him. Either way that's the case, but if they give into Boras's demands that's just another chip that he'll have in next year's negotiations.