Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F... School Work

Parking Lot

Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Ruhskins
Living Legend

F... School Work

Just wondering if anyone out there is dealing with end of the semester school work. I have three papers due in the next week and a half. And to top that off, I had a job interview today (good stuff, but it meant more work since I had to do some research and prepare a presentation).

Well good luck to everyone and feel free to vent your school work frustrations here :cool-smil
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: F... School Work

I have 1 take home exam and... That's it. lol

Well tomorrow I have a group project where we're recording our group doing a 1-1 counseling session. But other than that and the take home exam, I'm done for the summer!

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Tomorrow I wrap up my last presentation. Team projects + everyone having a full time job = tough. Once I finish that presentation one more take-home lab project which is probably only 5-10 hours of work.

The farther I get in my masters program, the more I want to quit. Two classes left!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I would give up my right arm to be back in college complaining about end of the year school work!!!!!

STAY IN SCHOOL! STAY AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Tomorrow I wrap up my last presentation. Team projects + everyone having a full time job = tough. Once I finish that presentation one more take-home lab project which is probably only 5-10 hours of work.

The farther I get in my masters program, the more I want to quit. Two classes left!
Two classes, come on man, you're very close. I have 8 classes left in my PhD program and I am hoping to finish that up in a year and a half (I'm doing the program part time).
R.I.P. #21
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

AMD -- have you ever worked, then gone back to school? It's awful. You have the 40+ crowd that asks terrible questions or prefaces each statement with "As a mother", when everyone is working syncing schedules is damn near impossible, you have little/no time to really hang out with friends. I just hope it opens some doors for me in the future. My faculty is really top notch (learning about managing a government program from a 2 star general who ran some high profile projects is damn interesting.)

As much as I complain -- I may end up forking more money over for a PHD eventually.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
AMD -- have you ever worked, then gone back to school? It's awful. You have the 40+ crowd that asks terrible questions or prefaces each statement with "As a mother", when everyone is working syncing schedules is damn near impossible, you have little/no time to really hang out with friends. I just hope it opens some doors for me in the future. My faculty is really top notch (learning about managing a government program from a 2 star general who ran some high profile projects is damn interesting.)

As much as I complain -- I may end up forking more money over for a PHD eventually.
Nope, I've been considering going back for a masters for some time now, but I can never make up my mind as to what I would want to study (same reason I didn't go right away after I graduated). I can imagine that some of your classmates can be a real pain in the ass.

My other post was mainly about the fact that I would love to go back and be an undergrad. I can honestly say I was better at being a college student than I've been at just about anything else I've ever tried.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

I don't regret going back for my masters, but I don't miss it either!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't regret going back for my masters, but I don't miss it either!
I regret taking a year off between my master's and PhD. Although the year off was nice.
R.I.P. #21
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:

Say what? Dr. Daseal; who'd have guessed that one?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I know three people with Master's none of their careers flew off the charts after or since they got theirs. My wife included.

I always say experience trumps education.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I know three people with Master's none of their careers flew off the charts after or since they got theirs. My wife included.

Gotta think long run.

Experience is definitely really important, but education can open some doors. And if you can bring experience and education to the table, bonus.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Gotta think long run.

Experience is definitely really important, but education can open some doors. And if you can bring experience and education to the table, bonus.
Hmmm maybe, but I have seen networking carry folks pretty damn far as well.

I think the black and white answer is education and hard work get you to the top but in reality that is far from the truth; so many other poltics involved.

I have a buddy in Marriott that is very far up same age as me. We started at the same time or close to it. Dude failed out of UMD has no degree but just straight busted his a$$ and if I guessed he is well over six figures.

My uncle was a VP with Gucci just had a HS degree. My cousin (his son) got kicked out of Penn State for selling drugs; he is now a big time player at Couch with their POS machines; making in the $200k range.

IF you got something like actually useable knowledge that you can apply to the real world form a Master's versus just another piece paper with your name then it is of value.

Just my 2 cents. If my wife's degree was not paid for by her company she too would agree it was a waste but she enjoyed the process of getting it.

Last edited by mredskins; 05-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

I think it depends on the situation. A colleague of mine, who has similar experience as I do, just got a position that I wasnt qualified for because it required a PhD. And lets just say she got a huge raise when she got that position.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Taptalk 2
R.I.P. #21
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think it depends on the situation. A colleague of mine, who has similar experience as I do, just got a position that I wasnt qualified for because it required a PhD. And lets just say she got a huge raise when she got that position.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Taptalk 2
Well that is a PhD a bit more rare then a Masters now a days. Shoot a BS is almost a High School diploma by today's standards.

I think everyone has diffrent life experiences that either persuade them to belive gradute studies is the correct track to take or not.