Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Pics For Sharing & Debating

Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Pics For Sharing & Debating

Okay folks. A simple suggestion, for those who wish to post pictures, memes, etc. that have, at their core, a religious, political or other "opinionated" position, how about we post them here and keep the "pics for sharing" thread along the lines of light humor and interesting pictures, the thing I for which I think it was originally intended.

You want to express an opinion through picture/meme/graph etc. fine. Do it here. Does this require discretion, reasonableness and some self-restraint? Yup. So this doesnt' get lost in the wash of this forum, perhaps it could be stickied.

Just a thought and attempt to let people voice their opinions and take argumentative positions w/out and have them discussed without imposing them on folks who really just aren't interested.

Advertisements
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Pics For Sharing & Debating

It clearly states 'Pic for Sharing' not 'Pics that are devoid of contention'.

The best way to crush an argument is to use indisputable evidence.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Okay folks. A simple suggestion, for those who wish to post pictures, memes, etc. that have, at their core, a religious, political or other "opinionated" position, how about we post them here and keep the "pics for sharing" thread along the lines of light humor and interesting pictures, the thing I for which I think it was originally intended.
Great idea...getting sick of the atheists PREACHING through pictures.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Great idea...getting sick of the atheists PREACHING through pictures.
Atheists don't preach, sweetie, we just correct childish misconceptions.

Thanks for playing though.....
Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
JoeRedskin

Yup. You have accurately stated the other thread's title. However, at the same time, there is an entire forum set aside for non-football related "contention" that is separate and hidden from the general forum so that those who do not wish to "crush" arguments, enter into arguments or even read about arguments can ignore them in their entirety. In that the "Pics for Sharing" thread is in the general "contention free zone" rather than the "contention zone", I would suggest that it is implied that the "Pics for Sharing" thread should be non-contentious.

You want to spout opinions through humorous one-liners fine. Just do it in the appropriate forum.

What are you afraid of? No one will stop you from spouting whatever kind of policitical or anti-religious hate/mockery/humor you want. It will just be in a place where it can be publicly debated w/out disrupting a thread never meant for debate/discussion.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Atheists don't preach, sweetie, we just correct childish misconceptions.

Thanks for playing though.....
Still waiting for the science on how you prove and fully explain the existence of beauty in any painting to a person lacking sight.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

This is a man who makes his views known through his pictures, enjoy he truly is great.

50 Amazing 3D Chalk Sidewalk Art Images from Julian Beever | MyInkBlog
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Still waiting for the science on how you prove and fully explain the existence of beauty in any painting to a person lacking sight.

Imagination.......
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Hit up Google, you'll find your answer.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
JoeRedskin

As some IT person implied in the other thread, I suck at google.

What am I searching for? I am asking you to articulate your position rather than have me guess at it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
What am I searching for? I am asking you to articulate your position rather than have me guess at it.
You posed the question to suggest some sort of supernatural explanation for beauty in the hopes of shoring up the erosion of theism in the face of scientific reasoning. Am I close?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
JoeRedskin

Not even close. First and foremost, I am attempting to prove nothing. I am simply posing a question and making a scientifically veriafiable answer a precondition for providing you with scientific, peer reviewed proof that an infinite being exists. The question posed is an expansion on or corolary of the ancient kuan "If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" and I pose the question simply b/c I believe the science to be similar to that for which you demand proof. I am hopeful that your answer would provide the blue-print for the science needed for finite beings to fully prove the existence of an infinite one.

To be clear, I have always contended and will always contend that humanity's understanding of God must conform to the scientific discoveries we make. In my opinion, however, the scientific method to understanding the universe is not the panacea you appear to proclaim it to be.

From what I gather, you assert that anything currently unverified through the scientific method does not exist until such verification occurs. If this is not your opinion, please correct me. Inherent in your statement is the assertion that all things in existence can be proven through the scientific method. As such, it is your belief that science can prove the existence of "life, the universe and everything" (to paraphrase Mr. Adams) because that which cannot be proved does not exist. Since there is no way to prove that science can do so, however, your belief in this assertion is, by definition, an article of faith.

I fully accept science and the scientific method as valid tools (and in most cases the best and only tool we have) of understanding the great "I AM" of the universe. At the same time, however, I suggest that the existence of a thing is not determined by the ability to perceive it through humanity's five senses (or any enhancement to the same). To me, the truth of this assertion is found by the fact that things which can only be perceived through one of our senses do not "cease to exist" if our ability to perceive through that sense did not exist. For example, the color orange would exist if the entire world was sightless and no one could see it (or any other color). To fully understand "orange" you must have the physical sense of sight. Sure, it can be explained as an expression of light waves, but, ultimately, it's tangible existence cannot be "proved" to a sightless person.

So, again I ask, please explain how to prove the existence beauty in a painting to a sightless person. I just want to see the math.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

11 posts and only one picture in a picture thread.
tsk tsk
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
11 posts and only one picture in a picture thread.
tsk tsk
I was thinking the same thing.
Closed Thread