Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Parking Lot

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Listening to an early morning talk show this morning, the topic being the Federal debate regarding putting some........tax's on foods (both at the grocery and fast food, etc) that contribute to weight management issues in this country. Argument being the alleged burden that these practices put on the Fed in the form of increased healthcare costs.
I'm like, what ELSE is the F.....n Fed going to decide for me?
I support smokers rights (or at least some of them) even though I do not smoke. I view their plight as another American freedom going away. I am greatly concerned that the Fed is going to completely control all of what used to be freedoms in this country.
Whats next to be regulated and taxed out of existence?
Motorcycles? to dangerous and to much health care involved.
etc?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Listening to an early morning talk show this morning, the topic being the Federal debate regarding putting some........tax's on foods (both at the grocery and fast food, etc) that contribute to weight management issues in this country. Argument being the alleged burden that these practices put on the Fed in the form of increased healthcare costs.
I support smokers rights (or at least some of them) even though I do not smoke. I view their plight as another American freedom going away. I am greatly concerned that the Fed is going to completely control all of what used to be freedoms in this country.
etc?
I'm in complete disagreement with you.

When you're fat, you're more likely to go to the hospital for heart attacks and stuff like that. Now, insurers have to foot the bill for anyone under 65. But the majority of health problems hit after you're 65, which is covered by Medicare, which is funded by our tax dollars. So if you're fat, you're going to hit the hospital a lot more often after the age of 65, and you're going to drain Medicare's pocketbook a lot faster than a skinny 65-year-old would.

Since a fat guy pays the same Medicare tax rate as a skinny guy, how is it fair for the skinny guy? He's paying the same amount into Medicare, but after he's 65, he's not getting nearly as much out of it.

Not that he wants to get more out of it. He wants to stay healthy. Instead, the fat guy should be footing more of the bill. Taxing fatty foods is the easiest way.

Some people would say well I manage my weight, but I still want to eat at McDonald's once in a while. Why should I be taxed? The answer is you won't pay much tax if you're only eating there once in a while.

It's the fairest way to do it. The same thing should be done for smokers and drinkers.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

PS Just because something is taxed doesn't mean you are losing any freedoms. You're still free to smoke, eat fatty foods, and whatever. You're just asked to pay an increased share of medical expenses (which are not being paid now) in exchange for your freedoms.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

There's also a debate going on about an internet tax.

If your for any kind of tax, which I assume your for taxing somethings, I don't see why internet or fat foods would be a huge issue. It's all part of generating revenue for a government. Unless it really takes a huge chunk out of the spending pocket of the consumer (I'm no econ major, so please correct me if I'm wrong) then it shouldn't be a huge deal.

How are fat foods any different than cigarette's, alcohol, or anything else bad for your health that's taxed?

I really don't have a strong feeling either way for this... but I'm interested to here what Schneed and the likes have to say about it.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Shit, I guess you beat me to it Schneed.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
There's also a debate going on about an internet tax.

If your for any kind of tax, which I assume your for taxing somethings, I don't see why internet or fat foods would be a huge issue. It's all part of generating revenue for a government. Unless it really takes a huge chunk out of the spending pocket of the consumer (I'm no econ major, so please correct me if I'm wrong) then it shouldn't be a huge deal.

How are fat foods any different than cigarette's, alcohol, or anything else bad for your health that's taxed?

I really don't have a strong feeling either way for this... but I'm interested to here what Schneed and the likes have to say about it.
In terms of economics, an increase in taxes always takes money out of the hands of the consumers. People are always going to buy food, but they'll have less money for other things, luxury items like IPods and TVs and designer jeans and home improvements. So less money in the hands of the consumer means less business for Best Buy, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. So the downside is you may see those companies cut jobs to save costs.

So increasing taxes generally goes hand in hand with unemployment. But if you're not piling on a big tax hike, and it only amounts to like 5 cents for a Big Mac, then the effect is minimal.

Besides, in this case, the government would be talking about shifting funds to help fund the healthcare system. Economically speaking, you have to weigh whether it's worth seeing a minor uptick in unemployment in exchange for better funding for the healthcare system. I think that tradeoff would be well worth it considering the state of our healthcare system.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
PS Just because something is taxed doesn't mean you are losing any freedoms. You're still free to smoke, eat fatty foods, and whatever. You're just asked to pay an increased share of medical expenses (which are not being paid now) in exchange for your freedoms.
That's way to much Kool aid consumption for me Schneed.
The larger issue is, do you want the Federal Government controlling more and more of your life?
Do you want the Federal Government to determine for YOU, what you should and should not do?
Do you accept politicians legislating your freedoms away?
What if it seriously begins to impair things you like? Your ok with that?
As I don't smoke, fast foods don't mean much to me either, BUT, the same as smokers rights. It's another American going away (ior at least impaired).
IMO, our govt is WAY to fat and full of do nothing bloodsuckers as it is. I do not wish to further feed that problem. I would prefer to find ways to pay for new or enhanced programs, and needs through reductions of same.
Less is better
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

I have no problem with it. I say tax the shit outta smokers, drinkers, and fat asses. Their weaknesses put a strain on the economy. So if you want to kill yourself fine, but you should pay a premium for it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
etc?
Well, we already have helmet laws, and motorcycle insurance is quite limited in it's coverage when compared to car insurance.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
The larger issue is, do you want the Federal Government controlling more and more of your life?
Do you want the Federal Government to determine for YOU, what you should and should not do?
As I don't smoke, fast foods don't mean much to me either, BUT, the same as smokers rights. It's another American going away (ior at least impaired).
IMO, our govt is WAY to fat and full of do nothing bloodsuckers as it is. I do not wish to further feed that problem. I would prefer to find ways to pay for new or enhanced programs, and needs through reductions of same.
Less is better
?

Taxing fast food doesn't let the Fed. Gov. determine you. It determines whether or not you want to pay 1.05$ for a dbl cheeseburger instead of 1.00$.

If you take away the bad, ie taxes, then you also take away the good. Things like maintaining infrastructure, disaster relief, social programs, law enforcement, and big business restrictions (environmental things, etc.).

If you don't want politicians to vote your freedom away, than don't re-elect them. That's the beauty of democracy. The problem is most people don't care enough to vote.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I have no problem with it. I say tax the shit outta smokers, drinkers, and fat asses. Their weaknesses put a strain on the economy. So if you want to kill yourself fine, but you should pay a premium for it.

Hard to disagree with that.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Less is better
Kool Aid consumption? Huh???

It comes down to this: does a cigarrette tax prevent you from being able to choose whether or not to smoke? Last I checked, a pack of smokes isn't priced at a level that prohibits it from being possible. Therefore, the freedom to smoke is still in place.

It's not a matter of slant, or "drinking the kool aid." It's cut and dry. Do you have the choice or not? Yes? OK then, you have the freedom. Pretty simple.

Just because they put a tax in place doesn't mean you can't still exercise your rights. If you can explain that one to me, I'm all ears.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

you know, the taxing only bothers me because of what its being used to pay for. we have a strong history of irresponsible spending. I know people that sell things to the federal govt. and they often try to spend the most they can on products (as much as they feel they can justify) so that they dont get budget cuts.

I also know of several programs with multi-agency participation and billion dollar budgets that get scrapped in early stages after breakdowns between govt agencies... no results but millions lost in spending.

Not to mention the pointless war that I have several family members fighting in...

I pay out about 20% of my income to taxes, then pay taxes on all the goods i buy, and even have to pay the feds taxes on the money i overpay to state taxes (WTF??) Not to mention Capital Gains, which investors just side step with Like Kind Trading, again only screwing the small time investors, who lack the resources to properly execute the trades...

I actually don't mind certain luxury taxes, and think its probably a good idea to tax fast food, I just wish they'd use the money theyre already taking for something worthwhile, instead of blowing it and thinking of ways to take more.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

People are always so quick to pull the "The gov't is taking away our freedoms" card.

As Schneed says you can still smoke, drink and eat til your heart's content. Nobody is saying you can't, but you just may have to pay a little more for these vices.

And frankly what's wrong with recouping some of the financial burden these smokers, drunks, and fat asses put on the rest of us who lead relatively healthy lifestyles?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
msm1971
Camp Scrub

Did I just hear that Big Macs are gonna be 5 cents! Woo Hoo. Sorry for the sarcasm, but
IMHO adding a 5 cent tax on a big mac won't mean a hill of beans to those that consume them, I bet 90% of obese americans won't even notice or question the increase, 2 big macs costs me 10 cents more? No problem. I do think that obesity is going to cost this country huge if health care doesn't get fixed. I think they should have to pay more for health care, stick it to them where it counts. I don't want to have to pay for thier health care.

What upsets me more than anything is we have 3 kids and we shop at Walmart sometimes but its hard work to shop healthy in a store like that as compared to trader joe's, and then to see the fattie paying with the EBT card I think to myself WOW I just paid for all that crap anyway. Try and compare healthy shopping with all the crap you can get cheap, it sucks. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. But I have a freind who owns a gym and we talk about this all the time.
msm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote