Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

I Need Advice About Moving to Virginia

Parking Lot

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

I Need Advice About Moving to Virginia

I might be taking a job in McLean, Virginia, but I don't think I'll be able to live in McLean. So far, Loudon County has been suggested to me as a good place to check out. I can only afford to spend between $1000 to $1500 in rent. $1500 would really be pushing it though. So, I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions of good communities to look into? I'm looking for a place that's more family friendly and would like to avoid apartments. Thanks for your help.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Re: I Need Advice About Moving to Virginia

Check out Leesburg. I used to do quite a bit of work in that area and always thought it would be a decent place to live if I had to move up there.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Check out Leesburg. I used to do quite a bit of work in that area and always thought it would be a decent place to live if I had to move up there.
Thanks. I've heard good things about Leesburg too.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I would ask how much are you willing to spend on a commute. Because if you live out there your commute might be 1 hr+. What is the max you are willing to drive(hour wise) and then you can work from there.

I think you could still get some places in fairfax county for 1.5
Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

OK so anything from Manassass on in is going to be pricey. 1000 wont get you much in the fairfax or McLean area. Out towards Dulless would be better for sure. That is getting you toward Loudon. Big thing for you is going to be commute. Getting into McLean from just about anywhere will tale years off your life. I'd look in Herndon on out. But don't just ignore closer in. If you find a deal then take it ASAP. The rental market is through the roof right now so it will take some work to get the best deal possible.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

I can't help you with property in that area but if you need renters or car insurance I'll be glade to give you some rates. You can't blame a guy for trying.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

The job I'm taking is pretty understanding about traffic. They'll let you come in later than most jobs, so you can beat the traffic. I'm not sure if that's possible, but that's what they told me.

It'd be great to be closer to McLean, but it is pricier, huh? We decided to rent because it looked like buying a home was pretty high there as well. But I guess you all would know better if people are actually able to sell because in most places in the US, it's really difficult, and prices are dropping drastically.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I know the Dolly Madison Apartments in McLean for a 1 bedroom is like $1200 a month. My buddy lives there.
Dolley Madison Apartments: Home

If you can save yourself the commuting I would say live here. You are close to everything!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I may reccomend the warrenton area if you don't have to worry about rush-hour. its not too far out and you can get a nice home (not apt.) in your price range, and the area is beautiful and clean, and even though it is growing its alot less crowded. (doesn't take an hour to get accross town on a saturday like manassas)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience View Post
The job I'm taking is pretty understanding about traffic. They'll let you come in later than most jobs, so you can beat the traffic. I'm not sure if that's possible, but that's what they told me.

It'd be great to be closer to McLean, but it is pricier, huh? We decided to rent because it looked like buying a home was pretty high there as well. But I guess you all would know better if people are actually able to sell because in most places in the US, it's really difficult, and prices are dropping drastically.
Yeah prices are coming down. The $200,000 house in your area that used to sell for $900,000 in the McLean area now is selling for more like $750,000. That work for you?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience View Post

Are you really sure you want to deal with all the traffic BS, and the housing prices?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Yeah prices are coming down. The $200,000 house in your area that used to sell for $900,000 in the McLean area now is selling for more like $750,000. That work for you?
Yeah, that's not drastic enough.

I wish I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic problem, but that's just the way it goes in northern Virginia, right? Hopefully, we can find something in Fairfax County, but most likely, we're going to have to look into the Leesburg area.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Look around Fairfax County man. You will find something if you try hard. There are places.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
I may reccomend the warrenton area if you don't have to worry about rush-hour. its not too far out and you can get a nice home (not apt.) in your price range, and the area is beautiful and clean, and even though it is growing its alot less crowded. (doesn't take an hour to get accross town on a saturday like manassas)
You are right. I found some really, nice looking homes comparatively to what I've found in Fairfax and Loudon, considering the amount I'd like to pay. It's about an hour drive to McLean though, isn't it? Also, as bad as traffic can be, could I be closer to McLean and still wind up driving the same amount of time?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

its has alot to do with when you leave. I lived in warrenton and commuted to leesburg and it only took about 45 mins, but I didn't have to leave the house until 8am. if you leave earlier, it can get hectic, but they've done some things to make it more bearable in the gainesville area...

Personally the community trade-off is worth it, though...