Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

4th Driver for JGR Maybe?

Other Sports

Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

4th Driver for JGR Maybe?

I read talk of JC Pennys wanting to be a sponsor in NASCAR and Joe Gibbs Racing seems to be a possible Team.

JGR Cup has 3 drivers and 3 good sponsors.
Home Depot, Fed/Ex and MnMs
Would they add a 4th Cup Team and Driver?
Which Driver?

JGR Busch has a couple teams and Denny Hamlin's #20 sponsor Rockwell Automation is getting out of NASCAR. Will JC Penny's sponsor the #20 car?

I got my info from jayski.com

peace
mike

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Re: 4th Driver for JGR Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Baugh Fan View Post
I read talk of JC Pennys wanting to be a sponsor in NASCAR and Joe Gibbs Racing seems to be a possible Team.

JGR Cup has 3 drivers and 3 good sponsors.
Home Depot, Fed/Ex and MnMs
Would they add a 4th Cup Team and Driver?
Which Driver?

JGR Busch has a couple teams and Denny Hamlin's #20 sponsor Rockwell Automation is getting out of NASCAR. Will JC Penny's sponsor the #20 car?

I got my info from jayski.com

peace
mike
Yep, I visit that site often and read the same thing. However, you have to be careful not to believe everything he writes (similar to ProFootballTalk). I also read where Nationwide Insurance may take over sponsorship of the series currently known as the "Busch Series." Lets see, how does this sound?: "And Ron Hornaday wins the NATIONWIDE series!" Um, I don't like the sound of that.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

JC Penney as a sponsor for the #20 car on the Busch side is a possibility (although JCP probably wants Cup exposure). But also keep in mind that JGR has two young, very talented drivers making their Busch series debuts in the next year, Joey Logano and Marc Davis, looking for sponsors.

On a slightly related note, how about that JGR Flag Football team!! 7 game winning streak dating back to last season

Totally Racin' Flag Football League Information courtesy of Race City Resumes & Marketing
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
JC Penney as a sponsor for the #20 car on the Busch side is a possibility (although JCP probably wants Cup exposure). But also keep in mind that JGR has two young, very talented drivers making their Busch series debuts in the next year, Joey Logano and Marc Davis, looking for sponsors.

On a slightly related note, how about that JGR Flag Football team!! 7 game winning streak dating back to last season

Totally Racin' Flag Football League Information courtesy of Race City Resumes & Marketing
SS, that just sucks. JG can compose a championship NASCAR empire and assemble a winning Flag Football team, but can't seem to pull the trigger yet for the Redskins! Let's start a new thread in the locker room and see how many peeps start whining about that analogy!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
drew54
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
Yep, I visit that site often and read the same thing. However, you have to be careful not to believe everything he writes (similar to ProFootballTalk). I also read where Nationwide Insurance may take over sponsorship of the series currently known as the "Busch Series." Lets see, how does this sound?: "And Ron Hornaday wins the NATIONWIDE series!" Um, I don't like the sound of that.
Nationwide. I work for them. How about they just divide up that money and give it to the employees.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
jsarno
Franchise Player

It won't matter...JGR will take a nice fall next year due to their choice of switching from power house chevy and going to worst car in Toyota.
I think a lot of JGR fans are dismissing this fact, and it WILL be an issue next year.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
That sounds horrible. Most corporately-sponsored ballparks and events sound dumb.

Besides, Allstate is better.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
It won't matter...JGR will take a nice fall next year due to their choice of switching from power house chevy and going to worst car in Toyota.
I think a lot of JGR fans are dismissing this fact, and it WILL be an issue next year.
I tend to agree. I cannot believe he made that switch given his success with Chevy. That really bummed me to learn of this a couple of weeks ago. You'd think that after witnessing the horrid performance of the Michael Waltrip camp, JG would have had serious reservations. But, like any other sport (NFL included), money talks and I'm sure Toyota threw a truck load at Gibbs. Another thought however: JG switched from Pontiac to Chevy years ago and that was successful. Yet, Chevy was a proven mfr. vs. Toyota being a rookie in Cup racing. It'll be interesting to see if he can make this work (sounds like his return to the Redskins sort of).
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It can work. Toyota has had fairly good success in the truck series, and has been strong lately in the Busch series. Plus JGR has some very strong resources that they can now maximize. Also, a big issue with Toyota was just getting guys like Michael Waltrip to qualify, not easy with 35 of the 43 basically set each week. The JGR drivers are locks to qualify each week, that alone will be an advantage. Plus JGR has better drivers. And all teams going full-time to the COT in 2008 should help as well.

It'll be an adjustment of course, but it's not disastrous

In other news, Dario Franchitti joins NASCAR today and M&Ms becomes official sponsor of Kyle Busch car.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
M&Ms becomes official sponsor of Kyle Busch car.
Because of MnM's coming to JGR I made myself an MnM for the day.
Eat Me.
lol

JGR will be fine in 2008 with them Toyotas
peace
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

JCPenney?

J a n c e e D u n n: J.C. Penney's 1975 catalog: Not Suitable For Young Children
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
I tend to agree. I cannot believe he made that switch given his success with Chevy. That really bummed me to learn of this a couple of weeks ago. You'd think that after witnessing the horrid performance of the Michael Waltrip camp, JG would have had serious reservations. But, like any other sport (NFL included), money talks and I'm sure Toyota threw a truck load at Gibbs. Another thought however: JG switched from Pontiac to Chevy years ago and that was successful. Yet, Chevy was a proven mfr. vs. Toyota being a rookie in Cup racing. It'll be interesting to see if he can make this work (sounds like his return to the Redskins sort of).
Yeah, when JGR switched, Chevy was #1, he made an upgrade there...this time he took the worst down grade he could have made. He could have chose Ford, or Dodge, but took the worst car in NASCAR. I'm sure Toyota will be good eventually, but to expect a miracle next year or any time soon is not realistic.
Viva Hendrick motorsports!