Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Joe2 Legacy2 will be?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Joe2 Legacy2 will be?

One of failure in which his lack of a Superbowl will dominate any achievement?
Moderately successful, characterized by two playoff seasons, in spite of some............substancial situations encountered along the way (ex ST's early departure form earth, etc)?
One that is still playing out as this is still basically his team, and may be molded in his image for some time to come as he tutored The Dan, and Vinny in the ways of The Force (which we are realizing today)?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
jdlea
Playmaker

Re: Joe2 Legacy2 will be?

I think it's somewhere in between the second and third one you have listed. Joe Gibbs restored stability to this franchise. I was a pretty big critic of Gibbs during his tenure, I always respected his first stint, but to me, he was a new coach when he came back. Joe may not have delivered a Super Bowl, but he did deliver a team who is poised, with a little more guidance to become a pretty good one for a long time.

I don't know whether Snyder matured as an owner because of Gibbs or not, but the approach taken this offseason was refreshing and I was glad to see it. If we credit Gibbs with that, then his second tenure was an overwhelming success. He single handedly changed the culture of the Washington Redskins.

Regardless of his W-L record, he restored order to a franchise that was becoming an embarassment.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
steveo395
The Starter

If Jason Campbell turns out to be our franchise quarterback, then he pretty much saved the franchise

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
If Jason Campbell turns out to be our franchise quarterback, then he pretty much saved the franchise
Too bad Gibbs never gave any of the newbie QBs (Ramsey and Campbell) any chance to start. Granted, Ramsey is probably a dud, but Gibbs should have never put his faith on #8. He should've put JC in as soon as #8 screwed up, and help him develop.

Honestly, to me Joe 2 would be "should've, could've, would've".
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
wilsowilso

Quote:
What he said. Other than that we drafted very well and had way way way too conservative of an offense.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Even without Campbell's success, he already saved the franchise.

The years without him were PAINFUL and a little embarrassing.

Have you noticed how much smarter Snyder and his staff have become at assessing players and football decisions in general since Gibbs came back?

Snyder went from being a good businessman and horrible football owner to being one of the better all-around owners in the league.

Gibbs returned our pride in our team and brought us back to the relevancy in the NFL we've always known but temporarily lost.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I think it's somewhere in between the second and third one you have listed. Joe Gibbs restored stability to this franchise. I was a pretty big critic of Gibbs during his tenure, I always respected his first stint, but to me, he was a new coach when he came back. Joe may not have delivered a Super Bowl, but he did deliver a team who is poised, with a little more guidance to become a pretty good one for a long time.

I don't know whether Snyder matured as an owner because of Gibbs or not, but the approach taken this offseason was refreshing and I was glad to see it. If we credit Gibbs with that, then his second tenure was an overwhelming success. He single handedly changed the culture of the Washington Redskins.

Regardless of his W-L record, he restored order to a franchise that was becoming an embarassment.
What he said (except I wasn't a big critic)
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'd say he did moderately successful as head coach during his second tenure, but his real impact came by reshaping the roster into something formidable by getting rid of mostly everyone that Spurrier brought in. He brought us back to respectability in the NFL, and he set up Jim Zorn for future success with the roster. No we're not one of the elite teams in the league but he set us up so that in the future we can be.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I think people may not realize just what Gibbs did for this franchise in this second tenure. I realize a lot of it didn't necessarily convert to a lot of wins on the field, but he certainly put Jim Zorn in a great position to have the best opportunity to succeed.

If anything, I think Gibbs being here in his second tenure gave Redskins fans a reason to think more optimistically about the team.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
XXVI
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Too bad Gibbs never gave any of the newbie QBs (Ramsey and Campbell) any chance to start. Granted, Ramsey is probably a dud, but Gibbs should have never put his faith on #8. He should've put JC in as soon as #8 screwed up, and help him develop.

Honestly, to me Joe 2 would be "should've, could've, would've".

He did give Ramsey a chance. He stunk it up. Remember that 80 yard TD pass to Moss during year one? After that, Ramsey fell apart.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
jgalecpa
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Even without Campbell's success, he already saved the franchise.

The years without him were PAINFUL and a little embarrassing.

Have you noticed how much smarter Snyder and his staff have become at assessing players and football decisions in general since Gibbs came back?

Snyder went from being a good businessman and horrible football owner to being one of the better all-around owners in the league.

Gibbs returned our pride in our team and brought us back to the relevancy in the NFL we've always known but temporarily lost.
For me, the most noticeable achievement is the before and after JGII:

Before he came we had been in the playoffs ONCE in about 12 years, a rate of 8.125%

After he comes we are in them 2 of four years- 50%.

I agree that the biggest long term influence is on the transformation of Snyder and Cerrato into competent professionals in their NFL roles.

Snyder is a different owner than he was five years ago. For the beter.

J-Dawg
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Im a Gibbs fan, but his record speaks for itself.
1. He won less than 50% of his games in 4 years.
2. Won 1 of 3 playoff games, and you can chalk most of that up to the D.
3. He (the skins) spent a ton of money on players and coaches.
4. He couldnt drop Brunell, when he was hurting the team.
5. Couldnt put together a team that didnt have a bunch of motion penalties, false starts, and delay of games.

If this were any other coach, everyone would say that he was garbage. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and he didnt do much the second time around. But heck, he had a team that fought thier guts out.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXVI View Post
He did give Ramsey a chance. He stunk it up. Remember that 80 yard TD pass to Moss during year one? After that, Ramsey fell apart.
I'm no Ramsey apologist, but i think Ramsey was replaced at the start of the 2nd half of the 1st game of JGll.

I think it would have been the right decision if the guy who replaced him wasn't named Mark Brunell. Neither could play so i guess it doesn't matter.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

JLC pretty much sums up my feelings. Am I really that bitter?
Framing the Past to Evaluate the Future - Redskins Insider
Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Im a Gibbs fan, but his record speaks for itself.
1. He won less than 50% of his games in 4 years.
2. Won 1 of 3 playoff games, and you can chalk most of that up to the D.
3. He (the skins) spent a ton of money on players and coaches.
4. He couldnt drop Brunell, when he was hurting the team.
5. Couldnt put together a team that didnt have a bunch of motion penalties, false starts, and delay of games.

If this were any other coach, everyone would say that he was garbage. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and he didnt do much the second time around. But heck, he had a team that fought thier guts out.
While i agree w/ alot of what you said, IF we have a nucleus that sticks around a couple of years and is successful I think JG's term here will be viewed more positively.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote