Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL NETWORK: Total Access

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
ChounsMan
Special Teams

NFL NETWORK: Total Access

Did anyone watch last nights recap of the draft...?

It airred from 10 - 11pm est.

I don't know the names of the achors or analysts, but I'm sure they are ex-players & people involved in football.

The most interesting things they noted about the Skins was of course the 25th pick overall & the fact that a QB is not drafted in the 1st rd these days if he's actually going to ride the bench for a few years, unless Brett Farve is the starter or Joe Montana. They expect Campbell to push Ramsey in camp & may the better QB win. They think that if Ramsey goes down with injury during the season which is likely Campbell will be thrusted in as the #1. Gibbs is going to have to be careful not to let Campbell take over to fast or Ramsey will have no trade value come '06.

This is totally a developing situation.

The NFL Network analysts said they thought that Campbell was the best QB in the draft. His only big knock on Campbell was his mobility, which the analysts pointed out was what Gibbs is looking for. A pure pocket passer

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
BossHog

Re: NFL NETWORK: Total Access

It will be re-aired at 3pm today on ESPN and ESPNHD.
[80's dance/aerobics style music playing]
I'm so excited.
And I just can't hide it.
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want you,
want you (Campbell)
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHog
It will be re-aired at 3pm today on ESPN and ESPNHD.
[80's dance/aerobics style music playing]
I'm so excited.
And I just can't hide it.
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want,
I want you,
want you (Campbell)
AAAAAAAHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

That is freaking hilarious!! :headbange
Old 04-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
56FAN
Special Teams

with all due respect to mr cambell and gibbs that pick was not what we needed, we needed either te miller that went to pittsburg or wr r white or vincent or brown from georgia. not a qb. i just don't get it. i am glad we got rogers instead of m williams.i do however think we got some ggod picks in the later rounds.
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56FAN
with all due respect to mr cambell and gibbs that pick was not what we needed, we needed either te miller that went to pittsburg or wr r white or vincent or brown from georgia. not a qb. i just don't get it. i am glad we got rogers instead of m williams.i do however think we got some ggod picks in the later rounds.

SOMEONE WHO GETS IT I'M NOT ALONE........
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
ArringtonRules
Special Teams

I totally agree with you. This was a very bad pick. Gibbs need to realise that this is 2005 and not 1989 when he did not have a salary cap and could put away players on the bench. we are already paying for one of his mistakes which kept us from signing Smoot and Pierce and now we have again paid a huge price for yet another QB choice of his. I sure do hope he knows what he is doing, 'cause it all seems very dysfunctional from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56FAN
ArringtonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArringtonRules
I totally agree with you. This was a very bad pick. Gibbs need to realise that this is 2005 and not 1989 when he did not have a salary cap and could put away players on the bench. we are already paying for one of his mistakes which kept us from signing Smoot and Pierce and now we have again paid a huge price for yet another QB choice of his. I sure do hope he knows what he is doing, 'cause it all seems very dysfunctional from here
I think what he's realizing is that in this day and age, players will jet on you in a heartbeat, loyalty isn't what it used to be like in his first run. We were lucky with Pierce and Smoot in a way, we have capable LBs to take over in the middle and we have Harris and now Rogers to take over at corner.

Ramsey is no guarantee to re-sign with the Skins when his deal is up, and I think Gibbs learned this hard lesson with Pierce and Smoot. I think the last thing Gibbs wants is to have to start completely over at QB in 2 years. Brunell isn't even going to be here then, and does anyone seriously want Hasselbeck as the #1?

Campbell has 2 years to develop as our insurance policy, and who knows, maybe he ends up beating out Ramsey at some point.

The Times has a great article that articulates this reasoning.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I think what he's realizing is that in this day and age, players will jet on you in a heartbeat, loyalty isn't what it used to be like in his first run. We were lucky with Pierce and Smoot in a way, we have capable LBs to take over in the middle and we have Harris and now Rogers to take over at corner.

Ramsey is no guarantee to re-sign with the Skins when his deal is up, and I think Gibbs learned this hard lesson with Pierce and Smoot. I think the last thing Gibbs wants is to have to start completely over at QB in 2 years. Brunell isn't even going to be here then, and does anyone seriously want Hasselbeck as the #1?

Campbell has 2 years to develop as our insurance policy, and who knows, maybe he ends up beating out Ramsey at some point.

The Times has a great article that articulates this reasoning.

http://washtimes.com/sports/20050426-121046-3165r.htm
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Maybe Gibbs was nervous that Ramsey might walk after 2006, but walk where? Why can't we sign Ramsey to a long term deal now while his price is low? But with all the other glaring needs offensively, a third string qb who none of us really wants to see play in the next two years is not the answer.

As for drafting Rogers, I'm really torn. Obviously we needed a young corner with Smoot leaving the year after Champ, but the one thing that Gregg Williams's defense showed me was that he could get unheralded players to produce. I don't doubt that Rogers will be a good fit for our defense, he already reminds me a lot of Springs, but our defense obviously was not the problem last year.

I'm disappointed we didn't draft Mike Williams, or any receiver for that matter. But I do like Gibbs getting the big back for short yardage situations, and maybe we need more size at fullback in order to get our running game going. I do know that we didn't need a young qb, especially with Hasselbeck ALREADY ON THE TEAM!! I wasn't upset last year when we passed over Winslow for Taylor because safety has been a need area since Alvin Walton left, but to give up next year's #1 plus two more picks for a kid that we hope won't have to play for two years is not something that 6-10 teams normally do.

I think the Campbell pick was ok, but he will have to be better than Ramsey in order for it to make sense.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
That Guy
Living Legend

hasslebeck isn't as good a campbell, though he is better than brunell. We probably spent next years pick this year because:
A) this is the QB of the future that Gibbs REALLY wants or
B) our cap situation will be so horrible next year that this is the one of the best ways to work around that...

I don't really like our first day, though i think both players we got are good... i think our 2nd day went much better.. 2 FBs and 2 ILBs all of which look like they could actually make the roster. Hopefully we'll find a couple good DEs and an OG in the undrafted pile...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
Maybe Gibbs was nervous that Ramsey might walk after 2006, but walk where? Why can't we sign Ramsey to a long term deal now while his price is low? But with all the other glaring needs offensively, a third string qb who none of us really wants to see play in the next two years is not the answer.

As for drafting Rogers, I'm really torn. Obviously we needed a young corner with Smoot leaving the year after Champ, but the one thing that Gregg Williams's defense showed me was that he could get unheralded players to produce. I don't doubt that Rogers will be a good fit for our defense, he already reminds me a lot of Springs, but our defense obviously was not the problem last year.

I'm disappointed we didn't draft Mike Williams, or any receiver for that matter. But I do like Gibbs getting the big back for short yardage situations, and maybe we need more size at fullback in order to get our running game going. I do know that we didn't need a young qb, especially with Hasselbeck ALREADY ON THE TEAM!! I wasn't upset last year when we passed over Winslow for Taylor because safety has been a need area since Alvin Walton left, but to give up next year's #1 plus two more picks for a kid that we hope won't have to play for two years is not something that 6-10 teams normally do.

I think the Campbell pick was ok, but he will have to be better than Ramsey in order for it to make sense.

If you think Campbell is not going to start in '06 you maybe surprised then when he wins the job in training camp.

Scenerio:
What if Campbell shines in camp this season & noticeably performs above Ramsey, are you going to support the decision to start Campbell..?

Lets not forget offensive players are leaving not because Gibbs calls are to conservative, but the talent at the signal caller position is in question. If you can remember Gibbs in his hayday he threw the deep ball with explosive execution. Ramsey has not shown me he can place a deep ball where he wants, nevermind a perfect fade route pass as well.

Campbell will most likely be the starter in '06.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

With the crazy things that have been happening, I can definitely see that as a possibility.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

BTW, if anyone has the NFL Network and "On Demand" cable (sort of like cable's version of TiVo), you can see Robert McCune. Go to On Demand, then to Sports, then to NFL Network, then to NFL Draft, and then click on Robert McCune. You'll see why I love the guy.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Because he lifts rocks as weights? LOL
Old 04-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #15
offiss

I saw the interview on the NFL network as well, and what they were saying is you don't draft a QB in the first round to have him sit, they believe at some point Campbell will be starting this season, which I agree you don't draft a QB #1 unless you plan to play him, I don't agree he will be on the field this year, every perdiction on this kid is he's 3 years away, we could have drafted a QB next year who was a year away, do the math. This pick was plain and simpley stupid.

Gibbs has said this kid has great mobility which he uses to make play's, but all I have heard is he can't throw on the run and his mobility is not that great?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote