Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

GMAN's Back and He's not very happy

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

GMAN's Back and He's not very happy

Whats up everyone? I've been gone for the week; vacationing in the Dominican Republic (beautiful place, but the resort we went to was a little suspect, but a good time nonetheless). After all the reports coming out of DC I was gonna buy some time to hop on the internet and talk to you guys, but they wanted $4 bucks for fifteen mintues, so ba-fan-gu, I'll hold off till now.

I was watching the draft in the lobby; and my thoughts are as follows. I like the Carols Rogers pick IF Mike Williams wasent avaliable. I really was psyched that Williams was still there when #9 rolled around, and I was seriously on could nine until they said Carols Rogers. Rogers is going to be a niice replacement for Smoot, and I like him a lot, but I think Mike Williams is going to be a very special player, and I'm disspaointed we passed him up. A scenerio that I dont know if anyone here is thinking about; or just a general thought for the league, is with three recivers like the Lions have now, does anyone else think they might deal one? Obviously it would be Charels Rogers if they dealt any, as he has had the injury problems and Roy Williams is too good, but I think that could be somthing to watch.

Now I'm sure you guys have beat this to death by now; but heres my thoughts on the Cambell/Ramsey/Trade ordeal. This right here, in my opinion, is the perfect example of why this team has gotten no better over the last 5 years. The trade itself to get the #25, was a joke. We traded a 3rd, a 4th and a 1st next year for the #25 pick. Now putting it together it dosent seem way out there; but when you think of how many picks we have/had overall, it really diminishes the amount of choices we have. In addition, I dont like the fact that we traded up so high for this guy. I dont think he is a bad addition to the team, but I think he would have fallen into the second round, when we would not have had to give up nearly as much if say we traded into the begining of the second.

Now here is the main reason I dont like this pick. Patrick Ramsey is my favorite player, so whatever, I understand he is a very average QB right now, and at this time next year, he could be looking at the bench or his last year starting for the Washington Redskins. By drafting Jason Cambell now, when we NEED other peices of the team is a freaking joke. We could have grabbed Mike Williams with #9, then gotten one of the other late 1st round CB's, to athear to what our needs are. If Ramsey is "our guy" for next year, why the hell do we draft a QB when we need these other peices?? In addition, if we want a guy for after Ramsey, WHY JASON CAMBELL??? Why dont we wait until next year, throw away some picks to trade up then and draft either Matt Leinhart, Chris Leak, or Vince Young?? All three of those guys are far and away better than Cambell, Cambell wasent even that great for Auburn. I dont mind that we are thinking about life after Ramsey, he needs to step it up, no doubt about it. However, why dont you give him the chance this season, when you could get some REAL differencemakers in the draft next year??? We should have gone for our needs; we could have gotten a good Corner and Wide Reciver; because that makes our team better NOW.

Well that is my speil; its off to bed for me as I have been up for 36 hrs.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
jrocx69
Special Teams

Re: GMAN's Back and He's not very happy

chill out, great pick
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Whats up everyone? I've been gone for the week; vacationing in the Dominican Republic (beautiful place, but the resort we went to was a little suspect, but a good time nonetheless). After all the reports coming out of DC I was gonna buy some time to hop on the internet and talk to you guys, but they wanted $4 bucks for fifteen mintues, so ba-fan-gu, I'll hold off till now.

I was watching the draft in the lobby; and my thoughts are as follows. I like the Carols Rogers pick IF Mike Williams wasent avaliable. I really was psyched that Williams was still there when #9 rolled around, and I was seriously on could nine until they said Carols Rogers. Rogers is going to be a niice replacement for Smoot, and I like him a lot, but I think Mike Williams is going to be a very special player, and I'm disspaointed we passed him up. A scenerio that I dont know if anyone here is thinking about; or just a general thought for the league, is with three recivers like the Lions have now, does anyone else think they might deal one? Obviously it would be Charels Rogers if they dealt any, as he has had the injury problems and Roy Williams is too good, but I think that could be somthing to watch.

Now I'm sure you guys have beat this to death by now; but heres my thoughts on the Cambell/Ramsey/Trade ordeal. This right here, in my opinion, is the perfect example of why this team has gotten no better over the last 5 years. The trade itself to get the #25, was a joke. We traded a 3rd, a 4th and a 1st next year for the #25 pick. Now putting it together it dosent seem way out there; but when you think of how many picks we have/had overall, it really diminishes the amount of choices we have. In addition, I dont like the fact that we traded up so high for this guy. I dont think he is a bad addition to the team, but I think he would have fallen into the second round, when we would not have had to give up nearly as much if say we traded into the begining of the second.

Now here is the main reason I dont like this pick. Patrick Ramsey is my favorite player, so whatever, I understand he is a very average QB right now, and at this time next year, he could be looking at the bench or his last year starting for the Washington Redskins. By drafting Jason Cambell now, when we NEED other peices of the team is a freaking joke. We could have grabbed Mike Williams with #9, then gotten one of the other late 1st round CB's, to athear to what our needs are. If Ramsey is "our guy" for next year, why the hell do we draft a QB when we need these other peices?? In addition, if we want a guy for after Ramsey, WHY JASON CAMBELL??? Why dont we wait until next year, throw away some picks to trade up then and draft either Matt Leinhart, Chris Leak, or Vince Young?? All three of those guys are far and away better than Cambell, Cambell wasent even that great for Auburn. I dont mind that we are thinking about life after Ramsey, he needs to step it up, no doubt about it. However, why dont you give him the chance this season, when you could get some REAL differencemakers in the draft next year??? We should have gone for our needs; we could have gotten a good Corner and Wide Reciver; because that makes our team better NOW.

Well that is my speil; its off to bed for me as I have been up for 36 hrs.

As far as Im concerned Gmac you are far to kind with your assesment, and dead on as well! Me? I just let it fly, this pick reek's of incompetence!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
kingerock
Special Teams

think about it though, we have the speed for a vertical game, and we have several options for a short passing game. I really believe, even with the bad press, that Moss is a team player and that Thrash will have a great season as a possesion WR. Don't forget Cooley at Hback and Betts and Rock that can catch out of the backfield.

As far as drafting a QB, like I said in another thread. What else could we possibly do? Give Brunell the job again if Ramesy gets hurt or can't perform. I'd take my chances on a rookie.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingerock
As far as drafting a QB, like I said in another thread. What else could we possibly do? Give Brunell the job again if Ramesy gets hurt or can't perform. I'd take my chances on a rookie.
But why trade so much away? Why didnt we just use the third rounder we had to get Frye from Arkon, or Kyle Orton from Purdue?? Somthing like that where we didnt waste so much. If we traded up into the second round and picked up Campbell there, and didn thave to waste that first rounder next year, I have no where near as big of a problem with this move.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
offiss

Quote:
But why trade so much away? Why didnt we just use the third rounder we had to get Frye from Arkon, or Kyle Orton from Purdue?? Somthing like that where we didnt waste so much. If we traded up into the second round and picked up Campbell there, and didn thave to waste that first rounder next year, I have no where near as big of a problem with this move.

Personally I think Campbell would have been available in the 3rd rd.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
I felt the same way Gmanc.......... :headbange:
Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Personally I think Campbell would have been available in the 3rd rd.
Maybe, but there was talk that the Packers may have taken him if Rogers wasn't there.

3rd round probably would have been a stretch. 2nd round more likely.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
ST21
Impact Rookie

Ha no Mike Williams
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Maybe, but there was talk that the Packers may have taken him if Rogers wasn't there.

3rd round probably would have been a stretch. 2nd round more likely.

If that was the case I have an even bigger problem with us moving up, because GB picked in front of us.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
wolfeskins
The Starter

gibbs wanted campbell because the offense that campbell ran was almost identicle to gibbs' offense and campbell ran it very well. gibbs took a shot to get him by getting the 25th pick and it worked.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
drew54
The Starter

I think he would have been an early 2nd pick to Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Arizona or Miami. Joe knew this and decided to jump up into the first and get him now so he has some experience under his belt incase something happens to Ramsey in the next year or two.

The more I think about it the more I am at peace with it.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
wolfeskins
The Starter

[QUOTE=offiss]If that was the case I have an even bigger problem with us moving up, because GB picked in front of us.

i don't think gb intended to use their #1 pick on a qb but when aaron rogers was still available they felt he was too good to pass up.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #14
wolfeskins
The Starter

[QUOTE=drew54]I think he would have been an early 2nd pick to Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Arizona or Miami. Joe knew this and decided to jump up into the first and get him now so he has some experience under his belt incase something happens to Ramsey in the next year or two.

i agree with you.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54
I think he would have been an early 2nd pick to Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Arizona or Miami. Joe knew this and decided to jump up into the first and get him now so he has some experience under his belt incase something happens to Ramsey in the next year or two.

The more I think about it the more I am at peace with it.
I agree with that; I dont think he would have fallen into the third round. However, if we came to Cleveland, asked for their second rounder; four ours next year, our 3rd this year, and a 3rd next year, they might have taken somthing like that... and we wouldnt have given up our first next year.