Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Colleges

Parking Lot

Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Colleges

I plan on transferring out of Community College this coming semester (for anyone still in HS, avoid community college like the plague!) Anyhow, I'm looking at four year universities. I'm curious where you guys went or where you live. I'm looking for not only a good institution, but a nice campus, intermural sports, and a cool town and environment to hang out in.

Right now my #1 choice is University of Texas, but I very much doubt I will get accepted. My #2 riight now is Auburn because I've heard only good things about it. Looking at Wisconson, Rollins (kinda expensive), Rutgers, Florida, and maybe just follow my boy Spurrier to SC!

Anyhow, I'd like to know where you guys went, any tips also highly appreciated. One other question I have:

HOPEFULLY Ill be going in as at least a sophmore, hopefully more along the lines of Junior, but depends on how credits transfer. Do you suggest living in a dorm for a semester or two or would you suggest living on my own. I think I'd prefer to get an apartment, my biggest fear is going after a Computer Science degree is meeting people. I'd prefer to spend my evenings and spare time doing things besides helping poindexter build his love robot!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Big C
Mr. Brightside

booooooo auburn. they beat us. i go to tech and its pretty cool.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

stay out of the dorms if you can afford it.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

nothin wrong with dorms, its a good way to meet people and you are close to all the classes
Old 01-10-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

i'd have to disagree big c...it's a good way to get stuck with people you don't like too...
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
joecrisp
The Starter

I have a lot of family that went to Auburn, and yes, it is a very cool school.

My older brother and sister both went to Tech, also very cool, though a little too big for my taste.

I went to James Madison. Excellent school, beautiful campus, tons of hot chicks, lots of great parties, and abundant, reasonably-priced off-campus housing.

I lived in the dorms my first two years, and I did meet lots of great people that way, but living off-campus is definitely more fun. :headbange :FIREdevil

btw, JMU's College of Integrated Science and Technology is a great place for those interested in a Computer Science degree.

Last edited by joecrisp; 01-10-2005 at 06:30 AM.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, I have lots of friends at in-state schools. Mason, Madison, W&M, a couple at tech, couple at UVA. Looking more at out-of-state schools. Thanks for the help!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

If you want to come to upstate NY I can give you plenty of advice and tell you all about the SUNY system.

As for the living situation, at a new school I would definitely suggest living in the dorms initially if you want to meet a bunch of new people. As much as it can suck at times, overall it's worth it for the social part. I always had a blast in the dorms.

After a couple of semesters in the dorms then I would look to get an apartment, but at least then you already know a bunch of people. If you go skip the dorm and move in to an apartment right off the bat, it will be much harder to meet new people. You tend to get stuck in your own little world off campus.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

dasael, i went to Salisbury University...a University System of Maryland school on MD's Eastern Shore...and I had a blast!

I took a few CS classes, and had friends major in CS...the department is pretty decent. The school is smaller than what your choices are (enrollment is around 6000), but the college atmosphere there is great. Check it out (www.salisbury.edu)...

As far as dorm v. off campus...I lived on campus all 4 years, and it made my life a lot easier...most of my classes were on the main campus, and i could get up 10 minutes before class and be there on time. it was easier for me to meet people living on campus as well, but i not very out going when i first meet people...

i had friends that lived off campus and their biggest complaint was finding parking...if you live off campus not within walking or biking distance, be prepared to park and be on campus early and stay all day. however, it's usually cheaper to live off campus...my sister is a senior there now, and walks to campus from her house all the time...

Salisbury, MD is definitely a college town...plenty of bars to hang out at, most of the housing around campus is college students, and the beach is less than 30 minutes away. Single A affiliate of the Orioles plays 5 minutes from campus (once or twice during the spring semester, they have a college night, students get in for free)...and plenty of great places to play golf...

The intramurals are great, because they are played on lighted fields during the evenings, it's a great way to unwind after a long day of classes...the campus is fairly small, but currently expanding. the dining hall is incredible...i had so many friends come down and rave about the dining hall. and the females...you'll have to see for yourself...

PM me if you're interested in going down one weekend...i've got fraternity brothers that can put you up and show you around...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Great point about transportation, on campus you can walk everywhere no problem.

Off campus unless you have a car it can really suck. I hated having to depend on the bus to get around. It was never on time and most times it wasn't worth going home between classes so I was stuck on campus most of the day. Most of the time there was nothing to do but smoke butts :cool-smil What a hard life! LOL
Old 01-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
If you want to come to upstate NY I can give you plenty of advice and tell you all about the SUNY system.

As for the living situation, at a new school I would definitely suggest living in the dorms initially if you want to meet a bunch of new people. As much as it can suck at times, overall it's worth it for the social part. I always had a blast in the dorms.

After a couple of semesters in the dorms then I would look to get an apartment, but at least then you already know a bunch of people. If you go skip the dorm and move in to an apartment right off the bat, it will be much harder to meet new people. You tend to get stuck in your own little world off campus.

Hey Matty, Which SUNY School did you go too? I'm proboly going to SUNY Brockport next year.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

There is +'s and -'s about living on campus. I would recommend living on campus for at least a year. I believe you could ask for a roommate more your age also. The advantages that I rembember are easy walking distance to classes, dont have to worry about cooking-although most are not great, the food is not bad. It sounds like you will be going somewhere where you will not know anyone so you can meet people easier living on campus. I was lucky and got good roomates. The bad side to living on campus is a little lack of privacy, other roomates or people in the next room talking or playing music, while you are trying to sleep-but you can get them back in the early morning.
As far a picking a college what is more important partying or education? Do your research and make sure that the program you want is good on campus then check for the parties and other activities. As far as joining a fraturnity, I never did but if I had it to do all over again, I might of joined. I was a manager on the football team, which paid for my tuition. I dont know if the bigger schools would pay all the way or not. You would probably have to work for free for a while-a semester or two, but would be worth it in the long run. The travel was really fun too.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
joecrisp
The Starter

I definitely concur with the opinion that it's beneficial to live on-campus for at least a couple semesters. It's the best way to make a diverse group of friends as you adjust to college life, and it really can be a lot of fun.

I also agree that it makes life a lot less complicated, especially in terms of avoiding the whole commuting mess.

It's definitely best to live on-campus for at least a portion of your college career, but once you establish a solid group of friends, you'll definitely want to live off-campus and enjoy the freedom of having your own room to crash and hookup in, without having to worry about a roommate being there all the time.

Plus, living in an apartment prepares you somewhat for the responsibilities you'll have once you're out of school-- rent, utilities, bills, managing your finances.

But I would recommend starting out on-campus your first semester or two.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
aehs77
Special Teams

My first semester i was in a dorm and with in two weeks my roommate had been arrested for not only draining my bank account but also when they came to arrest him they found a pound of weed in the closet. so I was not allowed in my room for a week because it was a crime scene. After that it was pretty good, if you can get a private room.
aehs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Hey Matty, Which SUNY School did you go too? I'm proboly going to SUNY Brockport next year.
Cobleskill and Oneonta.

Brockport is a good school, what are you going for? I looked at their business program but there was no way they would let me in with the GPA I had at that time, LOL