Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Sorry for the delay here, I was running some errands and dealing with some work emergencies.

With the latter in mind, I first want to say RIP Dan Wheldon. Great driver, better person. Redskins lost a game in the field of competition, he unfortunately lost his life Dan Wheldon dies following IndyCar crash at Vegas - ESPN

On to the smack:

The 1st Half Defense: Couldn't believe it when Landry said after the game that they basically came out in the first half without any sense of purpose. Couldn't believe it because it showed. I know, I know Rex's interceptions tired them out early. That's total bull. The defense played sloppy the first half, missing tackles, completely whiffing when trying to jam a receiver (c'mon Barnes!), not diving after tipped balls. Seemed like Rocky was just standing there on the Celek tipped catch. And a makeshift OL for the Eagles, and we got almost zero pressure. I'll give them a stud for turning things around, but early on they looked ugly

Fred Davis Yeah I know I'm calling giving the smack down to another of today's Studs. We are very fortunate to have FD in our lineup and he has made some great plays all season long. But there were multiple times, not the least of which was the first Rex interception where he made little to no attempt on the ball. He wasn't the only receiver to do so, though. Still, he's got to be more aggressive sometimes.

Whoever Decides To Keep Sitting Terrence Austin Let the man play!

Rex Grossman I know this is the one you're all waiting for. I still maintain that the first interception was not a bad decision. Three things I thought were likely to happen 1.) FD catches it at the 2 (possibly goes in for a TD) and the crowd goes wild and early on we've got the momentum 2) It falls incomplete and we punt or 3) Ball is intercepted but we pin them deep in their own territory. I didn't expect FD to not make a play and TW to get a penalty. After that, it was pretty much all downhill for Rex. I said at the time, and I'll say again, that throw to Cooley (which at the time I didn't know was about to knock him out for the next month or so) was terrible. He hung his receiver out to dry on a critical 3rd down. He did the same later, I believe with Helu. I like Rex, from a "dealing with the media" perspective, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accommodating guy, but Redskins fans aren't looking for that. The other three interceptions, I'd have to go back and watch them again, but from what I saw it was all on Rex. All on him trying to make a play. And why was he trying to make a play? Because of....

Kyle Shanahan I knew he wasn't going to run just because it was the Eagles, because KS doesn't prepare his game plan based on the opponent's known weaknesses. Never has, never will. And I don't really have a problem with that. I do have a problem with not taking advantage of two solid backs in Torain and Helu. I do have a problem with ignoring one of football's basic tenents "When you're trying to get your new offensive line to gel, run the ball and let them get into their groove" I commend Locklear, Cook, and the rest of that makeshift line for the work they did today. Kyle didn't put them in a good spot. And I do have a problem with him trying to make Rex more than he is. If we were even tied at the half, I'm fully confident we win. But we put on Rex's shoulders, at home where you had to know he was going to get booed mercilessly, and that just isn't the right game plan. Sidenote: You just know that if Rex had that fumble Beck had, it would have gone back for 6. By the way, I thought Beck was fine but I still think he sells the play action horribly

Well, I'm sure there's plenty more. But as I said earlier this week, my concern is not losing this game so much as it's hoping this doesn't turn things in a negative direction for us. It's one game. Let's see what these guys are made of. Yes it was a big game, but 3-2 is better than 2-4. I'll have to see to it though that we don't schedule Philly after a bye anymore.

Advertisements
Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down

The biggest issue here is that the Redskins really shouldn't have been gearing up to compete in the NFC East and trying to convince people that they could do so with John Beck and Rex Grossman. 3-2 puts this team ahead of schedule, all things considered. And if the Redskins themselves hadn't allowed expectations to get unreasonable, we'd be talking about this team the same way as the Cincinnati Bengals, as an overachiever.

But while 3-2 is a decent start, it's not a good enough start to overcome the total lack of an offense. The Shanahan's should come out and explicitly say that they are building an offense that they can count on for next year. Play Austin. Play Hankerson. Play Davis. We're wasting time with veterans who are hurting us in the short term and have no long term value. And I just don't understand it.

Half of the wins by the Eagles and Cowboys have come against the Redskins. The Cardinals and Rams have combined for one win. The Giants win is still the clear outlier, but this team isn't good. It's a product of it's schedule.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

RUN D was a joke today

Rex Grossman literally killed us today

KS- Dude WTF?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
GMScud
Swearinger

My smack down is to Rex and Kyle primarily, but to the team in general for letting the Eagles' season off the hook. At 1-5, they're done. Now they're 2-4, they just got a division win heading into a bye, and coming off the bye they play 3 straight at home. Not only did we blow a massive opportunity to improve our season, we breathed life right back into one of our major rivals. Failure.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Kyle Shanahan.......I knew he wasn't going to run just because it was the Eagles, because KS doesn't prepare his game plan based on the opponent's known weaknesses. Never has, never will. And I don't really have a problem with that.
This is no surprise anymore.....and I've got a HUGE problem with that. I don't know what the hell he's getting paid, but it's too much. If you aren't evaluating the opponent's weaknesses and preparing your gameplan to exploit those weaknesses you should be fired immediately.

This piss-poor playcalling/gameplanning is becoming a trend. If it doesn't improve before mid-season, MS needs to either take the OC reigns and minimize KS's role or get rid of him. This is not difficult to fix, I could fix it tomorrow.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Not only did we blow a massive opportunity to improve our season, we breathed life right back into one of our major rivals. Failure.
For the second time this year.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
This is no surprise anymore.....and I've got a HUGE problem with that. I don't know what the hell he's getting paid, but it's too much. If you aren't evaluating the opponent's weaknesses and preparing your gameplan to exploit those weaknesses you should be fired immediately.

This piss-poor playcalling/gameplanning is becoming a trend. If it doesn't improve before mid-season, MS needs to either take the OC reigns and minimize KS's role or get rid of him. This is not difficult to fix, I could fix it tomorrow.
Perhaps Joe Gibbs influenced me too much when I was young and impressionable but I'm with Sammy. You find an opponent's weakness and you attack it mercilessly until they stop you or you go home with a W.

Kyle drove me mad today.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post

Ive said it many times before and been mostly shot down{because kyle was so great in houston,blah blah blah}
I hated this hire from the get go because as long as mikes here sos his son.If kyle wasnt his son I wouldnt have had a problem with the hire,but theres a HUGE conflict of interest
Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Redskins proved today that they are not ready yet again
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
diehard
The Starter

Banks (without good reason) is keeping Austin off the field. Grossman and Beck have limited deep ball accuracy. Torain couldn't catch a cold. The players' effort make a coordinator look good or bad.

Last edited by diehard; 10-16-2011 at 09:58 PM.
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah Kyle is a pass first coach and we aren't set up for that
Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Ive said it many times before and been mostly shot down{because kyle was so great in houston,blah blah blah}
I hated this hire from the get go because as long as mikes here sos his son.If kyle wasnt his son I wouldnt have had a problem with the hire,but theres a HUGE conflict of interest
Optimistically, I hoped that an MS/KS combo would bring out the best of both. MS's run/PA game combined with the solid passing game KS displayed while OC in Houston would put is in a great place on O. Playing a team with good pass D, focus on run/PA. Solid run team, go to the passing game. Unfortunately what we're seeing is just plays being called, I'm not seeing much of a gameplan. And the situational calls have been awful. KS doesn't seem to understand Schaub and A. Johnson aren't here.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Here's my little Smackdown. Grossman. It's one thing if you throw 2 picks, its another if you throw 4 with 3 going to the same guy. I said after the second one to put in Beck. If we had done that we could have definitely of made it a closer game.

The coaches. All week all I heard from websites, tv shows, people on this board was run run run. We passed passed passed. Sure our run game was being stopped. Sure we lost our best guard. Sure we lost our best tackle. But you have to be creative. Try different runs, end arounds, power O, Iso, counters, etc. Not outside zone or inside zone. Also you all (the coaches) should pull your arrogant heads out of your asses and pull grossman when its clearly not his day. He should have been out by the 3rd pick. Not his 3rd pick to the same guy!

Also I got a major problem with Lichtensteigers injury. I watched the replay which it happend, and saw Kory L walking just fine standing up when the pass was thrown downfield. Then it got intercepted and the camera cut to a different shot. Trent Started fighting. My theory is that someone cheap shoted Kory L in the legs when he wasn't looking. If Grossman had thrown an incompletion or non int, maybe we still have Kory L IMO.

Last edited by CultBrennan59; 10-16-2011 at 10:10 PM.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bold are the issues. Literally

You can spin it anyway you want to, Rex is horrible. 9 interceptions in 5 games? thats pitiful. Absolutely no excuse, he should be benched immediately and Beck needs to play. I can stand to watch it anymore. You dont need tape, check the f*cking stats from his first what, 8 years now? get over it, he's worthless. Put Beck and let him see if it can breath life into the offense.

The offense is horrible. Our strength is running the ball, we dont do it. Ever since the Giants win, Rex hasnt done sh*t. Offense has no life with Rex on the field and Kyle not running the ball.

Kyle Shanny, go check my posts from last year. I said he was horrible then, but gave him the benifit because the talent was brutally bad. Nothing has changed. He sux.

Im with Tripp on the receiver play...cut Stallworth and demote Gaffney. Bring up the young guys to play. Austin and Hankerson should be playing. Our receiver play is bad. Armstrong been injuried, but he was dropping the ball when he was on the field anyways.

Defense first half, not spectacular...but whatever. Let me post this again, you hold the Eagles to 20 efffing points, you should win at home. PERIOD. Eagles are a solid offense team, easily top 10 in the league. So holding them to 20, we should take that all day. The damn offense gave them 10 of the 20.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Here's my little Smackdown. Grossman. It's one thing if you throw 2 picks, its another if you throw 4 with 3 going to the same guy. I said after the second one to put in Beck. If we had done that we could have definitely of made it a closer game.

The coaches. All week all I heard from websites, tv shows, people on this board was run run run. We passed passed passed. Sure our run game was being stopped. Sure we lost our best guard. Sure we lost our best tackle. But you have to be creative. Try different runs, end arounds, power O, Iso, counters, etc. Not outside zone or inside zone. Also you all (the coaches) should pull your arrogant heads out of your asses and pull grossman when its clearly not his day. He should have been out by the 3rd pick. Not his 3rd pick to the same guy!

Also I got a major problem with Lichtensteigers injury. I watched the replay which it happend, and saw Kory L walking just fine standing up when the pass was thrown downfield. Then it got intercepted and the camera cut to a different shot. Trent Started fighting. My theory is that someone cheap shoted Kory L in the legs when he wasn't looking. If Grossman had thrown an incompletion or non int, maybe we still have Kory L IMO.
T-Williams said that Kory L got cheap shoted (is that a word?)
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote