Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

DC Sports Bog: The Antwaan Randle El Mystery

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
redsk1
The Starter

DC Sports Bog: The Antwaan Randle El Mystery

D.C. Sports Bog - The Antwaan Randle El mystery

Our punt return play has been especially horrible over the last couple years. I'm ready for a full time change from ARE. Someone, anyone. It's really bad and we're paying him alot of money.

I suggested prior to the season that Moss be more involved and it seems he is, a little bit. I'd like to see Moss get even more involved. I know alot of you don't agree, but hey, we're a limited offense and we need points whereever we can get em. What are we "saving" him for?

There's been talk of D. Hall getting more reps and maybe DT too. Let's move on from ARE.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
freddyg12
Playmaker

re: DC Sports Bog: The Antwaan Randle El Mystery

I know seeing ARE back there is frustrating, but it's really a symptom of a larger problem; they haven't drafted or developed somebody for the role. ARE's best return days are well behind him obviously.

The guy that I thought might eventually be used is Tryon, yet I don't recall ever hearing of him getting any looks in preseason or practice. He returned kickoffs in college, not sure about punts.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I know seeing ARE back there is frustrating, but it's really a symptom of a larger problem; they haven't drafted or developed somebody for the role. ARE's best return days are well behind him obviously.

The guy that I thought might eventually be used is Tryon, yet I don't recall ever hearing of him getting any looks in preseason or practice. He returned kickoffs in college, not sure about punts.
Also, not that I believe ARE is doing anything that resembles a good, but our punt coverage has been very piss poor. Even when Moss is back there, he has no chance of getting making a play. I think they need to address both the returner and the coverage.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Pocket$ $traight

This is one of those cases where the team should issue a statement.

I want to know who is responsible for continuing to put Randle Fail out there. If it is Zorn, that standing on its own is reason enough to fire him. As upset as we can get about offseason moves and letting this and that person go, this is my single biggest frustration with the team.

Keeping Randle Fail is a perfect example of the organizational arrogance that has destroyed this franchise. Someone thinks that they know more than everyone else and that Randle Fail is the best option for the job. Well that someone is a G-- Damn idiot.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

I had said in an earlier thread basically the same thing Zorn said in fashioning a reason why RE is still fielding punts. He felt RE could be relied on to at least catch the ball, but lately he has proven unable to even do that. His return average is dismal to say the least, and that position definately needs to be addressed.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post

You don't draft a punt returner. I would bet every cent that I have ever made that Devin Thomas, Cartwright, and Tryon would do a better job than Randle Fail.

It was bad enough when he was fair catching everything. Now he lets it roll or fumbles it. Continuing to put him out there is proving the insanity of one of the decision makers in the organization.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
The stats

Randle El's 3.9 yards-per-return average is 62nd in NFL.

And sure, there are people in front of him whose averages are inflated by having just one or two returns, so let's install a five-return minimum.

Now Randle El ranks 49th in the league.

Also, his three fumbles on punt returns are tied for second in the NFL, though most of the people he's tied with have significantly more returns.

Also, his 18 fair catches are second in the NFL. The one guy with more, Indianapolis's T.J. Rushing, has 19 fair catches, but is averaging 6.2 yards per return and hasn't yet fumbled.
for once I will say: 'nuff said.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Also, not that I believe ARE is doing anything that resembles a good, but our punt coverage has been very piss poor. Even when Moss is back there, he has no chance of getting making a play. I think they need to address both the returner and the coverage.
The punt coverage is not as much a problem as is the punt return teams. For a long time now, whoever has been in the position of PR has had little room to operate after catching the ball.

Even when "prime time" was here, that was one of his complaints, there was never much room to set-up his blockers. So I agree, that is an area of concern and something we can get better at with better/different players on PR teams.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

damn theisman came down on him hard,but deservedly so,on ARE and zorn
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

Get him off returns already. I find it hard to believe there's not someone else on the roster capable of doing this job. Sounds like Devin Thomas might get a shot.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
You don't draft a punt returner. I would bet every cent that I have ever made that Devin Thomas, Cartwright, and Tryon would do a better job than Randle Fail.

It was bad enough when he was fair catching everything. Now he lets it roll or fumbles it. Continuing to put him out there is proving the insanity of one of the decision makers in the organization.
Not saying they should've drafted a 'punt returner.' What I meant was that the lack of depth and/or development of a young player to take over the role has caught up w/them.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
This is one of those cases where the team should issue a statement.

I want to know who is responsible for continuing to put Randle Fail out there. If it is Zorn, that standing on its own is reason enough to fire him. As upset as we can get about offseason moves and letting this and that person go, this is my single biggest frustration with the team.

Keeping Randle Fail is a perfect example of the organizational arrogance that has destroyed this franchise. Someone thinks that they know more than everyone else and that Randle Fail is the best option for the job. Well that someone is a G-- Damn idiot.
I think the bigger question should be who is teaching the other 10 players how to block. Even when Moss has been back there he has had little to know success with a net yard of 4.7. I have been saying that the blocking on returns is very poor for some time but everyone always wants to blame El which I'm sure he is part of the problem.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
TIFOSOdeiREDSKINS
Special Teams

Re: DC Sports Bog: The Antwaan Randle El Mystery

when it comes to returns ARE is pure, unadulterated ass.

interesting point on the punt return team. somehow i never considered that. if this is the problem...which part of me doesn't doubt, when was the last time we had a threat return man, brian mitchell?...is it due to an inherent personnel problem (lack of talent, size, competence, etc.) or just the way the coverage is set up or executed?

then again, give ARE perfect coverage...shit, give him an empty field and stadium...he's still NOT CATCHING THE FUCKING BALL lol.
TIFOSOdeiREDSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
damn theisman came down on him hard,but deservedly so,on ARE and zorn
im ready to try him back there- again
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

They should replace ARE with Santana Moss.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote