Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL?

There can never be too many RGIII threads, agree? (the Mods just rolled their eyes) I think this could be/should be an ongoing discussion.

It's funny how it took real NFL talent like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III to shift the conversation away from the leagues's fascination with Tim Tebow. I don't want to turn this into a bash Tebow thread. Please. But the media's constant and, at times, mind-numbing adulation of Tim Tebow really underscored, more than anything else, the NFL's need for it's very own Lebron James, Bryce Harper, or Sydney Crosby. When I think about who's the current face of the NFL, two names immediately come to mind: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Both players have secured their respective places in history as two of the best to ever play quarterback and are guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famers. That's not up for discussion. But are they truly transgenerational? That once in a generation athlete that rises above his particular sport and has cross-over appeal, such as Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. As we speak, can we say definitively that Manning or Brady (or Adrian Peterson, for that matter) is the face of the NFL?

I was watching the Wizards-Heat game a couple of weeks ago and was awestruck how Lebron James and other NBA players stopped by RGIII's courtside seat to give him props and congratulate him on beating the N.Y. Giants the night before. That just doesn't happen everyday folks. The likes of Kevin Durant, Marco Rubio, Big Boi, John Thompson and dozens more from all walks of life have publicly expressed how tremendous and phenomenal this kid has been.

My sense is Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin will duke it out over the years for various statistical honors and perhaps a Super Bowl trophy someday, but right now Robert is clearly commanding the attention of the entire sports landscape that transcends statistics and is on the verge of becoming a cultural icon, in my opinion. But what does this mean for the Washington Redskins and Redskins Nation? In years past players wanted to land in the Nation's Capital because you were pretty much guaranteed a big payday and a chance to pad your career statistics before exiting the game. Rarely was it about winning or improving the Redskins standing. Dan Snyder has earned the unfortunate reputation around the league for overpaying washed up players, controversial players, or guys that were flat out busts who just didn't give a damn. The conversation will now be about playing with a once in a lifetime player; An opportunity to rebuild the Redskins brand and possibly a chance at winning a Super Bowl. That's a pretty big deal if you're a Redskins fan.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Is RGIII The New Face of The NFL?

First off:

But you're so right. He's a superstar because he's a REALLY good guy beyond his athletic gifts. It's rare when someone has the whole package.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Holy rg3 threads. It's like espn in here
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Answer: Yes.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Hail to the SteelSkins
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Holy rg3 threads. It's like espn in here
All the hype worries me some. I'm glad he's got good enough character to not let it get to his head.
Hail to the SteelSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the SteelSkins View Post
All the hype worries me some. I'm glad he's got good enough character to not let it get to his head.
Good post. Im sure another RGIII thread will be up by 330. But its a nice problem to have.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

It's just nice to force Cowboys fans into this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by americasteam31-cowboyszone.com
Listen, no one is trying to say that his numbers aren't "historic". All we are saying is pump your brakes... You know we all love nothing more than watching as skins fans get their hopes up for the next big thing year after year only to have them destroyed. We get it. There's finally a glimmer of hope after years of bottom feeding. But we are Dallas fans here. We don't like the Redskins, nor do we want to see them succeed if we can help it. So why would we want to sit here and listen to someone try to tell us how great he is when he's not even done with his rookie season? What credit has Romo been given for anything he's accomplished? "He can't win the big game" "He's a choke artist" "Turnover Tony" blah blah blah.... And he's been pretty damn good for years, but we're all supposed to bow down to RG after 13 games? Why? Because the media has crowned him?
I love it!!!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Very good thread.

This is better than a "2015 Draft Prospect" thread or some of the wonderful threads that tend to appear during the offseason.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

I'd say RGIII is becoming the face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom are having a low profile great year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The media loves the guy and he's great with them so I would say yes. He's such a polished kid for 22. Luck is kind of boring.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'd say RGIII is becoming the face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom are having a low profile great year.
Thats the thing though, Tom and Peyton are having low profile great years only because of RG3. If RG3 wasn't doing what hes doing they would be the talk of the NFL, especially what Peyton is doing.. The fact that RG3 is over shadowing the special season Peyton Manning is having after 3 neck surgeries and being on a new team is pretty spectacular and proves he is the new face of the NFL or at least well on his way to that pedestal.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The media loves the guy and he's great with them so I would say yes. He's such a polished kid for 22. Luck is kind of boring.
And Luck is very annoying to listen to talk. His voice drives me nuts!
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo View Post
And Luck is very annoying to listen to talk. His voice drives me nuts!
yes, andre the giant-like. very scary

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo View Post
Thats the thing though, Tom and Peyton are having low profile great years only because of RG3. If RG3 wasn't doing what hes doing they would be the talk of the NFL, especially what Peyton is doing.. The fact that RG3 is over shadowing the special season Peyton Manning is having after 3 neck surgeries and being on a new team is pretty spectacular and proves he is the new face of the NFL or at least well on his way to that pedestal.
Very good point.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

RG3 is definitely one of the most popular players in the league and he's just getting started.