Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Parking Lot

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

I'm sure everyone's heard by now. I think this is pretty impressive. My question is, if he did decide to run do you think that he would be able to win over enough republicans to win an election? I am a registered republican (put down the eggs, dmek) but I think I would have to seriously consider voting for him pending some research.

*let's keep this civil. no need for namecalling or hyperbole. There's plenty of that on TV.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

It has no real meaning since "Master Terrorist" Yasser Arafat recieved the award.

At a ceremony in Oslo, Norway on December 10, 1994 Yasser Arafat, master terrorist, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The prize was awarded jointly to Arafat, Israel's Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Foreign Minister Shimon Peres "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East." The three were granted the prestigious prize, prematurely as it turned out, for their roles in the historic Oslo Accords signed the previous year and their committment to the Peace Process envisioned by the Accords. After generations of warfare and terrorism, it seemed peace was at hand.

There has been much negative press suggesting Gore's lifestyle does not support his.......Green acclaims. Gigantic inefficient house's, private jets, HUGE carbon footprints trampling all he claims to be protecting, etc.

BTW, if you are considering Gore as your guy, the National Repulican commitee has asked me to notify you, that your Republican license to practice in this hemishere has been revoked.....forever.
Congrats, you are now a Dem
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: Nobel Prize is meaningless. I disagree. This is one of the most prestigous awards in the entire world. To simply disregard it because someone disagreeable once won is a little bit of an overreaction, imho.

Re: Gore's green lifestyle. Not the first time I heard this arguement. I can't say what the guy does or does not do in his private life. I have heard him say that he is in the process of getting his properties equipped with the "greenest" gear possible but that it takes time. Truly, I don't care if he doesn't live the ideal environmentalist lifestyle, as long as he has continues to bring attention to important issues and focus on fixing said issues.

Re: Considering Gore making me a democrat. I am registered as a Republican because I share some very important ideals with the party. I am for less government as opposed to more. I have some personal conservative values. But I am tired of divisive government. I want a candidate that everyone can at least follow if not completely believe in. I am not saying Gore is that person, I'm saying it's blatantly irresponsible to refuse to consider someone based on their affiliation. Simply registering as a republican does not require me to "put the blinders on" and vote the party way all of the time. Doing just that on both sides is what has screwed this country up as bad as it is right now.

I am so tired of extremism. You can't just be a moderate, open minded person. If you're a republican, you've got to be ultra-conservative right wing. If you're democrat, you have to ultra-liberal left wing. It seems like this country is being ruled by the margins and the vast majority of us in the middle are left out of the loop. It's a shitty situation we find ourselves in and without ranting too much more, I guess the point of this thread is this: Do you think that Al Gore is someone that a majority of Americans can get behind and if not, who do you think is?

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Hog1

Didn't mean to get you jacked up, Bleed, but the Nobel process was so severe in 94' (if memory serves), that some of the voting committee resigned, refusing to be part of the prositution of the most prestgious "peace" prize on earth awarded to a "Master Terrorist".
Lead by example. Gore has not done that. His new found .....greeness is in response to the negative press he has recieved regarding his personal lifestyle.

However, I agree with you on a couple of points. I also am sick and tired of this govt. Niether Dem or Rep has made a signifigant positive contribution to this country, when MUCH is needed. I have in the past, and would again vote across party lines for a candidate that would REALLY try to fix the USA.
I do not see that person, or it cannot be done in it's current form. On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.
Revolution???
Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I'm right with you... lol

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

[QUOTE=Hog1;362855] On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.[QUOTE]

That question is what scares the hell out of me.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Hog1

[quote=BleedBurgundy;362860][quote=Hog1;362855] On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.
Quote:

That question is what scares the hell out of me.
HTTR BB!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
It has no real meaning since "Master Terrorist" Yasser Arafat recieved the award.
Because Arafat won it it's worthless? What about the worthy people who have won it? You're completely dissing their accomplishments as worthy of a worthless prize.

As for Arafat may I remind you he won the prize WITH Yitzhak Rabin FOR trying to bring an end the middle east conflict. A desired and admirable goal.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I'm sure everyone's heard by now. I think this is pretty impressive. My question is, if he did decide to run do you think that he would be able to win over enough republicans to win an election? I am a registered republican (put down the eggs, dmek) but I think I would have to seriously consider voting for him pending some research.

*let's keep this civil. no need for namecalling or hyperbole. There's plenty of that on TV.
I think he would be hard pressed to win over anybody. I don't like responding to threads regarding politics or religion, but I couldn't help myself on this one. At least I can be thankful that I was able to respond to this via the "Internet" thanks to Al Gore.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post

At a ceremony in Oslo, Norway on December 10, 1994 Yasser Arafat, master terrorist, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The prize was awarded jointly to Arafat, Israel's Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Foreign Minister Shimon Peres "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East." The three were granted the prestigious prize, prematurely as it turned out, for their roles in the historic Oslo Accords signed the previous year and their committment to the Peace Process envisioned by the Accords. After generations of warfare and terrorism, it seemed peace was at hand.

There has been much negative press suggesting Gore's lifestyle does not support his.......Green acclaims. Gigantic inefficient house's, private jets, HUGE carbon footprints trampling all he claims to be protecting, etc.

BTW, if you are considering Gore as your guy, the National Repulican commitee has asked me to notify you, that your Republican license to practice in this hemishere has been revoked.....forever.
Congrats, you are now a Dem
Beat me to it. Gore joins the ranks of terrorists like Arafat, screwups like Jimmy Carter and nobodies who have won this award. Congrats, Mr. Gore. This "award" is meaningless...such noble men as Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini have had nominations approved by the committee and could've won. This, much like the U.N. is a group of elitists with a political agenda, they're not interested in peace or even making a positive contribution to the world.

Hilarious, Gore wins this prize the week after England courts mandated that any school showing his film (the reason the Nobellies are kissing him) must inform the students of 11 major lies in the movie before letting them view it.

Inaccuracies in Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth - The New Party Articles
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Re: Nobel Prize is meaningless. I disagree. This is one of the most prestigous awards in the entire world. To simply disregard it because someone disagreeable once won is a little bit of an overreaction, imho.
Once? Ha...

This is another award like am Oscar or a good review from the New York Times. Often, the majority of people disagree with the group's decision. When people giving the award have an agenda, they ignore things like for example, actual movie revenues, book sales and in the case of the Nobel, facts.

Gore doesn't do his own research, which is obvious when he's in a debate on the subject against REAL scientists. He is simply traveling around and reading a bunch of lines handed to him so he can make a ton of cash in speaking fees. If he was really concerned about the Earth, he'd practice what he preaches. He burns more energy in his private jets and huge homes that he never visits in one week than all of us combined do in a year, let WE are supposed to give up our cars and buy $10 lightbulbs that will poison the Earth when we have to throw them out (high mercury content).
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Once? Ha...

This is another award like am Oscar or a good review from the New York Times. Often, the majority of people disagree with the group's decision. When people giving the award have an agenda, they ignore things like for example, actual movie revenues, book sales and in the case of the Nobel, facts.

Gore doesn't do his own research, which is obvious when he's in a debate on the subject against REAL scientists. He is simply traveling around and reading a bunch of lines handed to him so he can make a ton of cash in speaking fees. If he was really concerned about the Earth, he'd practice what he preaches. He burns more energy in his private jets and huge homes that he never visits in one week than all of us combined do in a year, let WE are supposed to give up our cars and buy $10 lightbulbs that will poison the Earth when we have to throw them out (high mercury content).
I still think a worldwide recognition of those making positive contributions in keys areas is worthy of respect. The fact that there have been less than admirable selections at times is inconsequential. The fact that there have been despicable nominees in not surprising as anyone can be nominated provided they have the right backing. That speaks to nothing regarding the quality of the award.

Regarding Gore doing scientific research... that's not his job nor is it a reasonable expectation of him or any other politician. His role is to bring attention, key discussion and make associated policy. I don't care if he can't brake down the molecular construction of ozone, as long as he can implement effective policy that limits the destruction of said layer.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

So if I'm reading you right, you're assuming that he's a lock to win the Democratic nomination should he run. And what you're asking is can he convince enough Republicans to switch over and vote Democrat.

It had been rumored a few months back that he was going to enter the fray in September, win the Democratic nomination, and name Barack as his VP candidate. I think, however, that a.) he's a little late to the party and can't assume that he'll get even the Dem nomination, and b.) he can probably offer more to his causes by continuing to work in the private sector.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #14
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Woah, SS, I am making no such assumptions. I do not know if he would win the Democratic nomination. I'm asking whether or not he could engender enough trust within both parties to make him the most attractive democratic option. If that is the case than he would subsequently be the best choice to represent the democrats in the upcoming election.

I don't think he's too late. I think the last few elections we've seen this trend of starting the whole process earlier and earlier. What happens sometimes is that the over-saturation of the public with all of this exposure can have a negative effect on a candidates campaign. Coming in a little late can help negate that effect.

Your point about have more benefit in the private sector is a good one.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

Re: Gore's green lifestyle. Not the first time I heard this arguement. I can't say what the guy does or does not do in his private life. I have heard him say that he is in the process of getting his properties equipped with the "greenest" gear possible but that it takes time. Truly, I don't care if he doesn't live the ideal environmentalist lifestyle, as long as he has continues to bring attention to important issues and focus on fixing said issues.

Re: Considering Gore making me a democrat. I am registered as a Republican because I share some very important ideals with the party. I am for less government as opposed to more. I have some personal conservative values. But I am tired of divisive government. I want a candidate that everyone can at least follow if not completely believe in. I am not saying Gore is that person, I'm saying it's blatantly irresponsible to refuse to consider someone based on their affiliation. Simply registering as a republican does not require me to "put the blinders on" and vote the party way all of the time. Doing just that on both sides is what has screwed this country up as bad as it is right now.

I am so tired of extremism. You can't just be a moderate, open minded person. If you're a republican, you've got to be ultra-conservative right wing. If you're democrat, you have to ultra-liberal left wing. It seems like this country is being ruled by the margins and the vast majority of us in the middle are left out of the loop. It's a shitty situation we find ourselves in and without ranting too much more, I guess the point of this thread is this: Do you think that Al Gore is someone that a majority of Americans can get behind and if not, who do you think is?
So what your saying that Gore can preach to the world about this issue but its OK if he does not follow his own advise? So then why should I listen to what he has to say if he does not follow his own advise?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote