Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ok...Whats the Deal With Coles & Money

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
NFLNetwork
No new threads for you

Ok...Whats the Deal With Coles & Money

Has he agreed to pay back ALL of his signing bonus or some??? I know the cap hit stays the same no matter how much he pays back, but how much has he said he'd pay back???
NFLNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Ok...Whats the Deal With Coles & Money

From what I understand he is due a bonus of $5M on April 1. He has supposedly agreed to forfeit that bonus for his outright release.

There is also talk that he would agree to forfeit that $5M bonus if a deal could be struck with a trade partner and they would pay him the bonus instead.

Actually the cap hit won't be the same, if he forfeits bonus money that will reduce his cap hit by the amount he forfeits.

It seems like we're going to take a hit for him no matter what, only question is how much.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
skin4Life28
Special Teams

Now that they have backed out on there agreement, I seriously doubt he will payback the money. This one is really going to hurt for a long time to come. But this is exactly why you do not overpay for athletes and give them eccentric siging bounuses. Ol' Danny boy is finally going to learn a lesson on why you do not overpay for players like we do. It can only hurt you in the long run. These signing bonuses are down right redciulous that we hash out like we have a never ending supply.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

We Don't Have To Release Him, We Are Choosing To Do This And We Can Choose Not To.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Very true. We have to send a message, albeit a hard one, to prospective players that the Redskins as an organization won't tolerate this type of shit just because you don't like "the way things are going."
Old 02-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
e16bball
Special Teams

Thank you guys, I posted the same idea last night...WE HAVE NO OBLIGATION to release Coles. Sure, if it worked out for everyone, let's do it. If it helped us and him, and he wants to hit the road, let's accomodate him. However, if we do it, we are going to get SCREWED. Mark my words on that. We will end up seeing LC in a green and white uniform, catching balls from #5, playing the role of Jeremiah Trotter part II, screwing us twice or year, or something of that sort. And just like with Trotter, we will still be paying him. It's a tough break for him, but basically the same sort of thing happened with Ramsey last year, as diehard mentions. He "wasnt pleased with the direction of things" and I believe asked politely for a trade. It wasnt such a big deal because he isnt the big name like LC is, but I think he was nearly as serious. Now he is restructuring his contract to help us. I think you are going to see LC wearing a number 80 jersey in burgundy and gold next year, whether he likes it or not.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
GoSkins!
The Starter

Coles came to the Skins and was happy with the Spurrier "Fun and Gun" mentality. Unfortunatly, it didn't work, or at least Spurrier was to stubborn to hire guys around him that could help make it work. So here we are with a proven coaching style but not in the style Coles likes, or at least that's what Coles thinks. I think that if he gave it another year, he might like it just fine... Ramsey was very apprehensive but I think that he was starting to enjoy being in a standing position at the end of some plays.

I believe that Coles is just not making a good decision about this. If you look at the way last year went, you have to believe Coles should put up over 1000 yards next year. His foot is better than it was at he beginning of the year and Ramsey is back in. The timing is better and illegal motion penalties that hurt the early part in the year were gone by the end.

Also, Gibbs receivers were always productive. One year he even had three receivers over 1000 yards... and that was in a ball control, run first offense.

So, back to the money part. I don't think that the Skins should even consider trading or releasing Coles if there is a significant cap hit. I don't get to change departments if I don't like the group that I work for. It's really not that different. There are other options for Coles if he doesn't want to play out his contract. He could quit, or retire, or play out the contract and become a free agent. Right now he works for the NFL and gets paid a lot to do it. If he doesn't like it, the Arena leagues and Canada are out there.

Sorry, but this situation is really starting to piss me off...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
skin4Life28
Special Teams

Ok, if we don't release him we have someone who does not want to be here. He won't give 100 percent and he will be a cancer in the clubhouse. This is a disaster waiting to happen. All of you guys say someone who does not want to be here should not be here. Now when Lav. Coles says it you don't care. In my book he is good as gone.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

In my book, he should play for the goddamn money that he is paid whether he likes it or not. If the Redskins choose to not let him go, that's THEIR prerogative and when you go onto an NFL team, you KNOW that there's a possibility that not everything is going to go your way. If we just let Coles walk, it will not only hurt the Redskins, it will hurt the league as a whole.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
GoSkins!
The Starter

I agree that he could be a locker room problem. Don't get me wrong, I think that if he wants to go, he should go. I'm jelous. I just wish the rest of us could live under that type of scenario. I'd like to say, "boss, I don't like the way your running things around here so I'm going to demand that you transfer me somewhere else in the company. Wait, no, I think I'm going to demand you let we pick where I want to go in the company. I'll give you some of my hiring bonus back, but not everything. Also, I know that you don't have any suitable replacements lined up, but that's not my problem." I'm pretty sure that one of two things would happen.
1. Your fired.
2. No. Get back to work.

I know that it sounds increadable, but that's how it usually works in business. The NFL is a business, right?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
e16bball
Special Teams

Here's my point. This isnt new. He has apparently been displeased with the offense since the middle of last season. Did anyone notice LC dogging it during the season last year? No you did not. So why do you think he will dog it and be a cancer now? I agree with GoSkins, LC works for us, and if he is a standup guy, like EVERYONE in the league and media believes, he will work hard. And if he doesnt like it, well he can sign elsewhere in 3 years. Teams arent the only ones that get stuck with bad contracts for long periods. He signed a 7 year contract, and lets be honest, hes expected to fulfill it.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
In my book, he should play for the goddamn money that he is paid whether he likes it or not. If the Redskins choose to not let him go, that's THEIR prerogative and when you go onto an NFL team, you KNOW that there's a possibility that not everything is going to go your way. If we just let Coles walk, it will not only hurt the Redskins, it will hurt the league as a whole.
Agreed
Old 02-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

The Jets are interested, maybe a d lineman abraham? ?!?

I would be upset but i defense lacks one detail the pass rush, it should be better w/ arrington and bowen but with a defensive end that is that good we would be unstoppable. Do you think the jets would trade him? I think they have a tag on him but it would be helpful to both teams,

Will coles be wearing #87 again with the jets?
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Speaking of people signing large contracts that didn't work out... maybe a name Mark Brunell rings a bell? He isn't asking to be traded and his ass sits the bench.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #15
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Speaking of people signing large contracts that didn't work out... maybe a name Mark Brunell rings a bell? He isn't asking to be traded and his ass sits the bench.
A prayer for the skins..
Dear God,
please let this Coles situation be a misprint and the unhappy player willing to give up his signing bonus is Brunnel.
Amen.