Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Big Ten Expansion Dominoes

Other Sports

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
drew54
The Starter

Big Ten Expansion Dominoes

Report: Nebraska regents informally OK move to Big Ten - Sporting News staff reports - College Football - Sporting News

It appears official that Nebraska Board of Regents will vote to join the Big Ten on Friday. This puts the Big 10 at 12, as they have been at an odd number since adding Penn State in 1990. They do not plan to stop there though.

Here in Iowa rumors are that Maryland is next on the list of schools the Big Ten will try to add if Notre Dame continues to turn them down. Is there any discussion of this going on in DC or where ever everyone is located?

Being a Big Ten fan, a little part of me has to chuckle at the BigXII getting blown up, but fearful of a potential Pac 16.

It sounds like the SEC is ready to raid the ACC, and the ACC to raid the Big East as this whole thing implodes.

There are even wacko reports of when the dust settles there will be four super 16 conferences and they will leave the NCAA and do their own thing, creating a new "Division 1" and starting a playoff system.

The whole thing is fueled by greed, and going to shake the whole college world big time if half of the predictions come true.

Last edited by drew54; 06-09-2010 at 11:35 PM.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
jdlea
Playmaker

Re: Big Ten Expansion Dominoes

On Maryland: I, personally, would like them to stay in the ACC for no other reason than they've been playing in the ACC for as long as I can remember. And, as someone who spent a semester there, (before I found out they wouldn't take my transfer credits...thanks a-holes) I can say that there is a strong feeling of rivalry with other ACC teams, so if you take them out of a conference with Duke, UNC and FSU (football "rivalry"), the school will be losing something.

On Big Ten Expansion: If I'm the Big Ten and I'm still looking to expand, I'd probably look at Cinicinnati, West Virginia, Pitt, Mizzou, Rutgers, Kansas and K State

On ACC Expansion: I'd try like hell to hang on to UMD, and go after many of the same schools: WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, and throw in USF at least.

On Pac 10 Expansion: That just seems like it's going to be insane. I'm concerned that it could, potentially crush some of the schools out there who have moderate conference success and seem to be up and coming, though. I look at schools like Oregon and think that they're up and coming, who knows what happens when you add Texas and OU to that conference, though.

On SEC Expansion: I would 100% be raiding the ACC. Go out and get both of the Florida schools (Miami and FSU) and I'd consider USF (Big East), then I'd go for Georgia Tech, Clemson, and probably Louisville, Kansas, and Kansas State just to name a few.

Shameless plug: I'd love to see my boys from Tulane slide in under the radar during all of these big name school switches and end up in a power conference (that won't happen)

What's funny about all of this is that, supposedly, Notre Dame would only consider joining the Big Ten if they were the only team involved in the expansion. So, with Nebraska informally agreeing to jump, the Big Ten may effectively be guaranteeing that Notre Dame stays Independent (or joins another conference O_o) while killing the Big XII and leaving some prominent schools scrambling for conferences.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
drew54
The Starter

University of Colorado Joins Pac-10 - PAC-10 OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Pac10 draws first blood. Colorado Leaves BigXII!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54 View Post
Report: Nebraska regents informally OK move to Big Ten - Sporting News staff reports - College Football - Sporting News

It appears official that Nebraska Board of Regents will vote to join the Big Ten on Friday. This puts the Big 10 at 12, as they have been at an odd number since adding Penn State in 1990. They do not plan to stop there though.

Here in Iowa rumors are that Maryland is next on the list of schools the Big Ten will try to add if Notre Dame continues to turn them down. Is there any discussion of this going on in DC or where ever everyone is located?

Being a Big Ten fan, a little part of me has to chuckle at the BigXII getting blown up, but fearful of a potential Pac 16.

It sounds like the SEC is ready to raid the ACC, and the ACC to raid the Big East as this whole thing implodes.

There are even wacko reports of when the dust settles there will be four super 16 conferences and they will leave the NCAA and do their own thing, creating a new "Division 1" and starting a playoff system.

The whole thing is fueled by greed, and going to shake the whole college world big time if half of the predictions come true.

Maryland isn't on the radar for the Big Ten. Syracuse and Rutgers are going to be the other entrants according to what we are hearing up here in Michigan. Pitt was openly talked about for months, but it seems like they want to be the Big Dogs in the Big East as the NY area schools are said to be making the move along with Nebraska and Missouri. The Big Ten wants an opening in the potentially huge NY TV market. Personally I would have really gone for Pitt, as that would have given the Eastern Dvision another huge rivalry between Penn St and Pitt, but the money is the only factor in all of this.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
On Maryland: I, personally, would like them to stay in the ACC for no other reason than they've been playing in the ACC for as long as I can remember. And, as someone who spent a semester there, (before I found out they wouldn't take my transfer credits...thanks a-holes) I can say that there is a strong feeling of rivalry with other ACC teams, so if you take them out of a conference with Duke, UNC and FSU (football "rivalry"), the school will be losing something.

On Big Ten Expansion: If I'm the Big Ten and I'm still looking to expand, I'd probably look at Cinicinnati, West Virginia, Pitt, Mizzou, Rutgers, Kansas and K State

On ACC Expansion: I'd try like hell to hang on to UMD, and go after many of the same schools: WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, and throw in USF at least.

On Pac 10 Expansion: That just seems like it's going to be insane. I'm concerned that it could, potentially crush some of the schools out there who have moderate conference success and seem to be up and coming, though. I look at schools like Oregon and think that they're up and coming, who knows what happens when you add Texas and OU to that conference, though.

On SEC Expansion: I would 100% be raiding the ACC. Go out and get both of the Florida schools (Miami and FSU) and I'd consider USF (Big East), then I'd go for Georgia Tech, Clemson, and probably Louisville, Kansas, and Kansas State just to name a few.

Shameless plug: I'd love to see my boys from Tulane slide in under the radar during all of these big name school switches and end up in a power conference (that won't happen)

What's funny about all of this is that, supposedly, Notre Dame would only consider joining the Big Ten if they were the only team involved in the expansion. So, with Nebraska informally agreeing to jump, the Big Ten may effectively be guaranteeing that Notre Dame stays Independent (or joins another conference O_o) while killing the Big XII and leaving some prominent schools scrambling for conferences.

Maryland isn't going anywhere. Big Ten is after expanding TV markets(as is everyone). Teams other than Nebraska that are being considered to join the Big Ten are Missouri, Rutgers, and Syracuse. The Big Ten would get the entire Midwest and get into the huge NY TV market. Maryland doesn't give them squat. If you are a Terps fan, you should hope that they stay pat. If the were to get into the new expanded Big Ten they would be lucky to win 5 games a season. And you could forget about ever winning a conference title.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Not sure it will happen, but I've heard a lot of people in and out of the Big Ten talk about Maryland to the Big Ten

Kansas, K State, and Missouri apparently talking to the Big East

Sooners talking to the SEC

Hesssy still not talking to 12thMan
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I heard Kansas and possibly a few teams are talking to the Mountain West also.