ESPN: Sean Taylor One Year Later

Top story on ESPN.com

Living Scared - ESPN The Magazine

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
dmek25
MVP

Re: ESPN: Sean Taylor One Year Later

just watched O.T.L with Bob Ley . good story about athletes living scared. talked to Taylor's dad.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Grrrr. I hate that my work blocks ESPN.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
cpayne5
Playmaker

Every so often I read something about ST's death and it kind of catches me off guard. This did, and it still hits like a ton of bricks.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

RIP #21 - We still miss you, You will never be forgotten...
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
bigmarley4
Special Teams

Great story. I liked the different takes they had from the players, security personnel, etc.
bigmarley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Every so often I read something about ST's death and it kind of catches me off guard. This did, and it still hits like a ton of bricks.
Seriously...I can't wait for 11/30 when we get to put him into the ring of honor.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

yeah it will be a good day our boys will definitly be playing with a little more emotion than usual
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Monkeydad
Living Legend

NFL Security: Clinton Portis, Redskins RB - ESPN The Magazine

Related story about Portis (linked from first article).

It's sad what the players must go through emotionally now. They work hard and achieve their dreams, only to have to live in fear for the rest of their lives because of their success.

Sure some of the players put themselves in situations with consequences...Darrent Williams at a nightclub, Pacman Jones constantly, Javon Walker in Vegas...those are known places of crime and the homes to many degenerate lowlives of society.

But some, like Sean Taylor, lived in seclusion. He was shy and kept to himself. He was a good neighbor according to those who lived around him and did nothing to unnecessarily put himself or his family at risk. He had really become an outstanding citizen...and it still happened to him. Portis is more outgoing and we know he loves big birthday parties (with Gilbert Arenas), but he still doesn't stand out as a target except for his salary and household name. He's stayed clean, out of trouble...but still must fear for his life. I'm sure because of his closeness to Sean, it hits him harder than most players and is a feeling that will never leave him to be at peace, but it is the reality of urban areas and society today. Very sad.

Miami is his home. He has family and friends there, but after his retirement, Portis and many other players would probably be best served to move to seclusion in places like Montana or the Dakotas. They're just targets in and around major cities, by no fault of their own.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
NFL Security: Clinton Portis, Redskins RB - ESPN The Magazine

Related story about Portis (linked from first article).

It's sad what the players must go through emotionally now. They work hard and achieve their dreams, only to have to live in fear for the rest of their lives because of their success.

Sure some of the players put themselves in situations with consequences...Darrent Williams at a nightclub, Pacman Jones constantly, Javon Walker in Vegas...those are known places of crime and the homes to many degenerate lowlives of society.

But some, like Sean Taylor, lived in seclusion. He was shy and kept to himself. He was a good neighbor according to those who lived around him and did nothing to unnecessarily put himself or his family at risk. He had really become an outstanding citizen...and it still happened to him. Portis is more outgoing and we know he loves big birthday parties (with Gilbert Arenas), but he still doesn't stand out as a target except for his salary and household name. He's stayed clean, out of trouble...but still must fear for his life. I'm sure because of his closeness to Sean, it hits him harder than most players and is a feeling that will never leave him to be at peace, but it is the reality of urban areas and society today. Very sad.

Miami is his home. He has family and friends there, but after his retirement, Portis and many other players would probably be best served to move to seclusion in places like Montana or the Dakotas. They're just targets in and around major cities, by no fault of their own.
Well said.

Last edited by SkinDogg; 11-20-2008 at 02:15 PM.
SkinDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Seriously...I can't wait for 11/30 when we get to put him into the ring of honor.
No doubt. That is going to be SO awesome. There won't be a dry eye in the place. Even though it's been almost a year since we lost him, this will be a nice measure of closure. Yes his locker is still in place, but as a member of the Redskins Ring of Honor, he will be a permanent and legendary figure in team history, with his name forever next to our franchise's greatest. I'm getting a little choked up at my desk right now just thinking about it. Miss you #21.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

11/30 will be something special. I really feel they should also retire 21 becuase nobody will every fly around in that thing like he did. He showed everyone, redskins fan or not how the safety position should be played, football in gerneral. Balls to the wall holding nothing back, he was the definition of a football player with his intensity that he brought to the game. The best thing i loved about him was his swagger, nobody has it. The swagger/mentality that nobody can mess with him and he wouldnt back down from anyone. He is easily my favorite player of all time and I expected nothing less then him being entered into the ring of fame and even the hall of fame. Ill see you one day sean
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
prImEtImE21
Camp Scrub

yea i loved taylor one of my favortie DB's in the league it sucks what happened...but these other players need to realize what the fuck they are doing off the field they should of woken up wen taylor,darrant williams and so on and i dunt understand wat pacmans deal is i never seen i more selfish,disrespectful,careless,player i ever seen in the NFL....wen he was on the titans i liked him i thought he was a good D back and then wen he came to dallas i gave him a shot and so did Mr.Jerry Jones and again he fucks up...NFL players need to realize that they are lucky with playing a sport and making millions of dollars doing it and say fuck the ''street life'' and play fucking football...
prImEtImE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prImEtImE21 View Post
yea i loved taylor one of my favortie DB's in the league it sucks what happened...but these other players need to realize what the fuck they are doing off the field they should of woken up wen taylor,darrant williams and so on and i dunt understand wat pacmans deal is i never seen i more selfish,disrespectful,careless,player i ever seen in the NFL....wen he was on the titans i liked him i thought he was a good D back and then wen he came to dallas i gave him a shot and so did Mr.Jerry Jones and again he fucks up...NFL players need to realize that they are lucky with playing a sport and making millions of dollars doing it and say fuck the ''street life'' and play fucking football...
although i respect this post in every aspect...i wouldnt say Sean Taylor was Gangbanging..sure he was Street..but when a few lil punks run up in your house as he laid in bed injured with his wife and baby....thats not his fault. Otherwise i 100% agree.
Skins4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prImEtImE21 View Post
You obviously did not follow Sean's career and who he became as a person. To put him in the same sentence with Williams and Pacman Jones is proof you did know anything about him other than what the media told you. They didn't follow him either, painting him as a thug when it couldn't be further from the truth. He had a run-in with trouble just out of college, but he actually woke up and learned a lesson. He grew up a LOT in his short stay with the Skins and with Joe Gibbs.