Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #1411
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Media Bias

I commend your intrinsic desire to believe people are good SD! I just don't think you become the richest person in the world by being altruistic. Once again I don't have an issue with it or him.

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #1412
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
This Twitter thing is hilarious. Somehow Musk is now some white supremacist conservative. Good stuff.

The truth is liberal politicians and media members absolutely fear not having a monopoly of control over all social media.

We love Tesla and the "green" movement, but Musk is for free speech even for conservatives. OMG, OMG...

How is the reaction to EM any different then chico's reaction the Bezo buying the Washington Post?
Old 04-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #1413
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I don't watch TV news the only thing I have heard about it is on NPR and they were just the facts. No out rage or support although the programs seemed to be generally viewing as a positive fix.

I don't get the outrage but I also don't get the Republican view that this is a first amendment thing at all. Musk doesn't give a shit about who has a voice. Twitter is his preferred platform he will adjust the algorithm to give himself a greater voice and if you benefit from it so be it, but that twist in algorithm is going to suppress some one else's voice. I do think Musk will some how try to make Twitter more relevant to the younger generation. Being in a high school I can tell you Twitter is about as relevant to teenagers as a CD player is. It less than an after thought it isn't even a thought.
So the biggest issue outside of ridiculous banning of certain things which examples are many…is making the open-source the Twitter algorithm

This is the threat to most libs because it reveals the mechanics of throttling of content. It brings transparency.

So you are close, but he’s doing the opposite of what you mention above…unless you believe like me and many others, that Twitter is suppressing opinions….Which Twitter has denied

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #1414
MTK
\m/

Musk is now king turd of shit mountain
Old 04-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #1415
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So the biggest issue outside of ridiculous banning of certain things which examples are many…is making the open-source the Twitter algorithm

This is the threat to most libs because it reveals the mechanics of throttling of content. It brings transparency.

So you are close, but he’s doing the opposite of what you mention above…unless you believe like me and many others, that Twitter is suppressing opinions….Which Twitter has denied
Suppressing facts or stopping made up rumors and untruths?
Old 04-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #1416
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Not just suppressing factual stories but also pushing false narratives or stories that align with woke agenda or identity politics

See the recent Border Crossing agents who were falsely accused of whipping Haitian illegals crossing the border. That story was amplified with Twitter and it was a totally lie.

I just hope Twitter employees aren’t burning documents…the public should be allowed to see how it was being run. Total shitshow. Elon will get it done.

He Gets Us
Old 04-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #1417
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
They did both.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #1418
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Not just suppressing factual stories but also pushing false narratives or stories that align with woke agenda or identity politics

See the recent Border Crossing agents who were falsely accused of whipping Haitian illegals crossing the border. That story was amplified with Twitter and it was a totally lie.

I just hope Twitter employees aren’t burning documents…the public should be allowed to see how it was being run. Total shitshow. Elon will get it done.
Do you get your news from social media?

For God's sake I hope not. Everybody in the world should know better. Any idiot can put something on the internet. It's even worse if you take the share feed from another idiot and lend credence to it.

Stay off social media for news and current events. Unless you like being wrong all the time.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #1419
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

For God's sake I hope not. Everybody in the world should know better. Any idiot can put something on the internet. It's even worse if you take the share feed from another idiot and lend credence to it.

Stay off social media for news and current events. Unless you like being wrong all the time.
.......................it fits him to a T.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #1420
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

Well my referenced story of border agents on resulted in the White House taking action against them within 48 hours

So it seems the current administration is getting their news from the trending pages

But everyone should be skeptical what they read from any social media platform. Major news corporations are fighting space and journalist have boosted their own brand from it. For better or worst it’s been the direction we are headed.

He Gets Us
Old 06-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #1421
nonniey
The Starter

The media bubble is real: Study shows massive disconnect between journalists, public

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...alists-public/
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:09 AM   #1422
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
The media bubble is real: Study shows massive disconnect between journalists, public

Not the media , it's the stupidity of the public they serve. Most supply facts it's what the reader/viewer does with that info that is the problem. Not to say there are not crappy journalist(Tucker, Hannity) out there same as with any profession. The ignorance /laziness of the consumer to think on their own is the problem.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:53 AM   #1423
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post

I heard an interview about a month ago which raised a root cause which hadn’t crossed my mind and the author hits on it here:

Longtime newsman Bob Schieffer dove into this subject a few years back, explaining just how insulated journalists have become.

“In 2004, one reporter in eight lived in New York, Washington, or Los Angeles,” Schieffer notes in his must-read book “Overload: Finding the Truth in Today’s Deluge of News.” “That number is now down to one-in-five who live in those three places.”

Schieffer saw another problem: The massive decrease of local reporters due to shrinking budgets.

He writes, “While no solutions seem obvious, there is general agreement throughout the industry that if local newspapers go away and some entity does not rise to do what we have come to expect of them—that is, keep an eye on local government—we will experience corruption at levels we have never seen.”
Since 2004, approximately 1,800 newspapers have shut down because of the collapse of print advertising and readers turning to more convenient online consumption. Fewer reporters and editors has resulted in less trust as news gathering becomes more and more confined to two or three cities.

He Gets Us
Old 06-23-2022, 08:56 AM   #1424
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

“The New York Times, which hasn’t endorsed a Republican presidential candidate in 66 years, or at The Washington Post, which has never endorsed a Republican presidential candidate”

Clearly these are extremely biased news sources…

He Gets Us
Old 06-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #1425
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I heard an interview about a month ago which raised a root cause which hadn’t crossed my mind and the author hits on it here:

Longtime newsman Bob Schieffer dove into this subject a few years back, explaining just how insulated journalists have become.

“In 2004, one reporter in eight lived in New York, Washington, or Los Angeles,” Schieffer notes in his must-read book “Overload: Finding the Truth in Today’s Deluge of News.” “That number is now down to one-in-five who live in those three places.”

Schieffer saw another problem: The massive decrease of local reporters due to shrinking budgets.

He writes, “While no solutions seem obvious, there is general agreement throughout the industry that if local newspapers go away and some entity does not rise to do what we have come to expect of them—that is, keep an eye on local government—we will experience corruption at levels we have never seen.”
Since 2004, approximately 1,800 newspapers have shut down because of the collapse of print advertising and readers turning to more convenient online consumption. Fewer reporters and editors has resulted in less trust as news gathering becomes more and more confined to two or three cities.

Sorry but IMO , no. With the internet and social media there are more "reporters" / blogger's" then ever, more outlets to get news and it's easier. Again as I stated before the consumer needs to educate themselves. I will add that I do my part , I buy three to four newspapers a week.