Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 09-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #1381
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
MD just has too many damn breweries popping up.

true respite
cushwa
inverness farms
mobtown
elder pine
slate farm
black flag
astro lab
denizens
7 locks
crooked crab
oliver

.. and so many more that could be added here. Add in all the VA, PA and NY pop up breweries and its getting ridiculous. Im not dropping $12 for a sixer I know nothing about. When I do, its fucking meh below average quality.

They need to be sending reps to every craft beer store and give out free samples. And not just what the beer store has in their inventory (its usually dated and stuff that doesnt sell quickly). Covid has made free samples impossible right now but ... the market is just flooded with new beers from new breweries i never heard of.

If I like a beer you have, i will buy it in my regular rotation.

Im sticking with the originals like RAR, Union, Manor Hill, Monument etc.

-------------

if beer is this cheap to make and market that any dick and tom can open a brewery .. fuck off with charging us $12 a sixer for a simple pale ale or pils.

Why is every 6 pack $12 and up?

----

Burley Oak ... have that shut production down? I havent seen them in a long time. ill happily spend $ on any new offerings from them.

Overhead, production cost .....typical cost to run a business of that type . License's are not cheap.

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #1382
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If you had a long ass day and need a fast buzz: Elysian Space Dust IPA.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #1383
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sometimes a ice cold 25 oz bud heavy is perfect

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #1384
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
MD just has too many damn breweries popping up.

true respite
cushwa
inverness farms
mobtown
elder pine
slate farm
black flag
astro lab
denizens
7 locks
crooked crab
oliver

.. and so many more that could be added here. Add in all the VA, PA and NY pop up breweries and its getting ridiculous. Im not dropping $12 for a sixer I know nothing about. When I do, its fucking meh below average quality.

They need to be sending reps to every craft beer store and give out free samples. And not just what the beer store has in their inventory (its usually dated and stuff that doesnt sell quickly). Covid has made free samples impossible right now but ... the market is just flooded with new beers from new breweries i never heard of.

If I like a beer you have, i will buy it in my regular rotation.

Im sticking with the originals like RAR, Union, Manor Hill, Monument etc.

-------------

if beer is this cheap to make and market that any dick and tom can open a brewery .. fuck off with charging us $12 a sixer for a simple pale ale or pils.

Why is every 6 pack $12 and up?

----

Burley Oak ... have that shut production down? I havent seen them in a long time. ill happily spend $ on any new offerings from them.
Don't sleep on these. The newer breweries have been putting the originals to shame. Cushwa may be the best brewery in MD and Oliver has been around longer than all of them.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #1385
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Overhead, production cost .....typical cost to run a business of that type . License's are not cheap.
Burley has been having quality control issues. IPA's are oxidized and sours are exploding.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #1386
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Burley has been having quality control issues. IPA's are oxidized and sours are exploding.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #1387
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Don't sleep on these. The newer breweries have been putting the originals to shame. Cushwa may be the best brewery in MD and Oliver has been around longer than all of them.
Mike glad you chimed in, you and BD know the md beers real well.

Do you have any recommendations from cushwa and others (that I can find on the shelfs)? I knew Oliver has been around, weren’t they part of a bar just outside fells point that brewed their own beer?

Thanks for the info on burley.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #1388
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Mike glad you chimed in, you and BD know the md beers real well.

Do you have any recommendations from cushwa and others (that I can find on the shelfs)? I knew Oliver has been around, weren’t they part of a bar just outside fells point that brewed their own beer?

Thanks for the info on burley.
Just about anything from Cushwa is great. Black Flag does some awesome IPA's but only buy the 4 packs. Most in 6 packs are mediocre. You are right about Oliver, it was originally associated with the Wharf Rat but I think they changed ownership or brewmasters as its way better now.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #1389
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Due to the pandemic we are living in the golden age of craft beer. Due to tap rooms being limited or closed they have been forced to distribute. Beer that normally would only be available in the breweries are now readily available at many local stores.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #1390
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Just about anything from Cushwa is great. Black Flag does some awesome IPA's but only buy the 4 packs. Most in 6 packs are mediocre. You are right about Oliver, it was originally associated with the Wharf Rat but I think they changed ownership or brewmasters as its way better now.
The wharf rat! Yes that’s it. I used to live about 2 blocks away in my party years. I knew I had rats, I knew they had rats .... good times.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #1391
SunnySide
Playmaker

Bells 35th anniversary Expedition Stout.

Wow, its a must buy if seen. Im an expedition fan and usually this is the stout I buy and try to "cellar" in my basement for a year or two. But this special edition is on another level.

Im going to buy a bunch, try to hide it in my basement and try to forget I have it.

This is a must buy. No idea how much they distributed but I imagine this is a one off thing that wont be on shelves again.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #1392
SunnySide
Playmaker

Decided to try some of these breweries Ive been ignoring and did a mix 6 pack of IPAs (expensive came out to about $30 for a sixer of 16 oz cans)

Cushwa - tried the "Cush", "High Hopes" and "Price of Dreams". I think they were all DIPA if I remember right. They were good to very good. Cush I am definitely moving into my regular rotation.

evil twin (not MD, i try a lot of ET) - "Even Less balanced" ... 10% abv tipa with marshmallows .. sounds disgusting but came recommended and was interesting. I would buy this again, 1 can though not a 4 pack.

Aslin (VA) - Bring Sexy Back ... ipa. this was my favorite of the sixer.

black flag (md) - "partial distortion" or something like that. ipa .. it was good.
--------------------

I enjoyed the variety ... but a sixer of 51 rye or country ride at $11 cant be beat imo. I cant be dropping over $30 for sixers. Maybe Ill do it once a month.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #1393
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Man, the other day i was like let me get a fancy beer a six pack so i pick something out from Independent Brewery (literally in my home town); get to the register 18 dollars and change for a six pack!!!! I was like fawk; tasted like dish soap when i drank it.

I am sticking to my cheap standby's from now on.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #1394
MTK
\m/

$3 a beer isn't bad when you think about it, at a bar that same beer is probably $8 or $9
Old 10-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #1395
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote