Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 01-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

my go to beer - "go to" meaning I get to drink a sixer in one night = a west coast ipa or juicy pale ale.

if I only get to drink 1 or 2 beers that night = BA stout

----------------

Tavour - i signed up for their mailing list a few years ago, lots of beers from other parts of the country that I never heard of and had to research. I get overwhelmed with all the different beers and breweries.

Monument City american nut brown ale - real nice, balanced malt sweetness to it and thicker than you would think in a good way, 6% abv .. i like getting a few sixers during the winter months .. the beer farts the next morning though ...

Burley lost ipa - good, would buy again

RAR stunts - sour/wild ale ... not to my liking. im trying to find an affordable always available sour as my go to but it seems with sours i only really like the individual bottles from wicked weed or someone more expensive
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

FYI

It’s Bells Hopslam season

Got my 6 pack today...get to hunting!

Those who know, know

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Love me some Hopslam.

Chico, if memory serves me correctly, you're near Richmond right? Ever make it over to The Veil? If you love Hopslam, The Veil (and their fanbois are nuts) makes some of the best IPAs in country. The Veil and Triple Crossing absolutely fucking kill it in RVA.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Love me some Hopslam.

Chico, if memory serves me correctly, you're near Richmond right? Ever make it over to The Veil? If you love Hopslam, The Veil (and their fanbois are nuts) makes some of the best IPAs in country. The Veil and Triple Crossing absolutely fucking kill it in RVA.
Yeah, I’ve been to both a handful of times...they get a Borat voice “very nice”

The hipster fanboys of veil are super annoying agree for sure but they do a good job. Final Gravity is probably my favorite destination these days...well when covid is over. The Stone brewery here is phenomenal as well.

Final Gravity
Stone Brewery
Hardywood (city location)
Ardent
Triple Cossing (East side location)
The Veil

These are my spots

He Gets Us
Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah, I’ve been to both a handful of times...they get a Borat voice “very nice”

The hipster fanboys of veil are super annoying agree for sure but they do a good job. Final Gravity is probably my favorite destination these days...well when covid is over. The Stone brewery here is phenomenal as well.

Final Gravity
Stone Brewery
Hardywood (city location)
Ardent
Triple Cossing (East side location)
The Veil

These are my spots
Ahhh, I always forget about Final Gravity. Most underrated brewery in Richmond IMO. Ever make it out to Richbrau? They're killing it right now.

My wife and I both love Stone and not sure why it gets the hate it does. The spot is bad ass and the beers are always killer. Fear. Movie. Lions is my go to DIPA.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Ahhh, I always forget about Final Gravity. Most underrated brewery in Richmond IMO. Ever make it out to Richbrau? They're killing it right now.

My wife and I both love Stone and not sure why it gets the hate it does. The spot is bad ass and the beers are always killer. Fear. Movie. Lions is my go to DIPA.
I think there is still some people complaining about the deal they got from the city with Stone. I dunno, but if you like ipa style beers then Stone has been a top 5 brewery in the country... being able to drink them fresh is something I don’t take for granted. I like the industrial design of the brewery too and outdoor spot.

Ohhhhhhh shit...you can tell covid has fucked up my brewery game, as I don’t really go a lot since the outbreak.

How could I fucking forget The Answer brewery and brewpub.. A top 3 go to...good food and great beer.

He Gets Us
Old 02-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think there is still some people complaining about the deal they got from the city with Stone. I dunno, but if you like ipa style beers then Stone has been a top 5 brewery in the country... being able to drink them fresh is something I don’t take for granted. I like the industrial design of the brewery too and outdoor spot.

Ohhhhhhh shit...you can tell covid has fucked up my brewery game, as I don’t really go a lot since the outbreak.

How could I fucking forget The Answer brewery and brewpub.. A top 3 go to...good food and great beer.
EXACTLY. It MIGHT be the best one in RVA, but for some reason we always forget it when we head over from Crozet. Their Joose days are just insane. It is beer you could truly feed to a child and they'd have no clue.

Stone is definitely one of our stops and right now the only breweries we're comfortable going to are 1) in HUGE warehouse styles or 2) heated and outside. Summer we were totally fine going to places because we knew we could sit outside. Winter making it a LOT harder now.

Strangeways is also our jam. They don't make the best beer in town, but there's something to be said for getting a flight of twelve.

They HAVE upped their game however. Murder Hornet is one of their best IPAs they've put out. Mostly my wife and I don't have a true "preference" on beer, but I tend to migrate to DIPAs/IPAs and she migrates to sours mostly. I am getting over the IPA craze a bit. These douches walk into a place and are like, "Bruuuuuh, what's your haziest IPA?" I'm like, do you just want your palette blown out by hops for hops sake?

The Veil has been notorious for that recently (at least for us). I bought their dry hopped pilsner because that's a style ranking higher and higher for me. Was almost undrinkable because of how bitter it was. Zero balance.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/388405/

Southern Tier

3XIPA Triple Unearthly

Not a bad banger...if you can hang

He Gets Us
Old 03-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
SunnySide
Playmaker

Local craft store had surprise 3 Floyds in stock, one time only. They ran out of zombiedust before I got there. dont think they put a limit so im guessing some asshole just bought out whatever they had

lazer snake ipa, barbarian haze pale, alpha king pale and dreadnaught dipa

next level beers and not overly expensive, like $12 to $16 for each.

singelcut, cushwa etc are starting to charge $18 plus for their 4 packs

Maryland has great beers but I do wish we got at least one of the big guys from RR, 3 floyds, toppling, lawsons, tree house, hill farmstead
Old 03-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Local craft store had surprise 3 Floyds in stock, one time only. They ran out of zombiedust before I got there. dont think they put a limit so im guessing some asshole just bought out whatever they had

lazer snake ipa, barbarian haze pale, alpha king pale and dreadnaught dipa

next level beers and not overly expensive, like $12 to $16 for each.

singelcut, cushwa etc are starting to charge $18 plus for their 4 packs

Maryland has great beers but I do wish we got at least one of the big guys from RR, 3 floyds, toppling, lawsons, tree house, hill farmstead
The 3 Floyds drop shouldn't be a one time thing. They are distributing to MD now so it should be around semi regularly. I hadn't had it in a few years but Zombie Dust was a let down this time around.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
The 3 Floyds drop shouldn't be a one time thing. They are distributing to MD now so it should be around semi regularly. I hadn't had it in a few years but Zombie Dust was a let down this time around.
ho le chit .. youre right. They distributed it everywhere even the local small liqour store types around Howard County.

https://www.3floyds.com/distribution/

2021>2020

edit - 3 floyds was smart, the beer i bought was like a week old. Surly dumped a ton of palletes on Perfect Pour about 6 months ago but the pale ale was like 9 months old at that time and its just sitting there for months later growing dust

Last edited by SunnySide; 03-11-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Got 2 sixers of zombie dust .. its a good beer. Mine is maybe 5-6 weeks old. I read that taste wise it starts to drop off a cliff after 2 weeks or so. But im not sure how its ranked 37 in BA.

The presence of malt was nice, good beer .. i dont know how to say this but Id take monument citys 51 rye over it in terms of everyday regular drinking beer.

Makes me appreciate Other Half, Singlecut and some other breweries that perhaps Im not missing out .. theres great beer evyerwhere
Old 03-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #13
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Coors Light. Every once in a while, you just need something nice and simple (more simple than nice).
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Coors Light. Every once in a while, you just need something nice and simple (more simple than nice).
No doubt. Sometimes that (or a PBR) nearly frozen is the SHIT.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet Double IPA

1st time having it as I type this. It's 8% and doesn't taste like it. These are dangerously good.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote