Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 06-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #1336
MTK
\m/

Re: Let's talk good beer

I’ve got some Jai Alai in the fridge right now. I remember back when it was only available in Florida so anytime I was down there on vacation that’s all I’d drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #1337
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Good question, I’d probably go with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It’s one of those OG craft beers. A lot of times shopping for beer can feel overwhelming with all the choices and SN is often my go to. It’s basic enough that most people who claim to not like craft beer still like it and most beer snobs will admit it’s super solid. And I like the alcohol is only 5% so it’s very crushable.
Yes. Folks who drank good beer long enough remember when Sierra Nevada Sam Adams, Pete’s wicked, dominion ale...and maybe a Tuppers Hop Pocket Or Foggy bottom in the mid Atlantic region were your only choices. Sierra Nevada still stands tall today, I grab a 12 packet or 2 a year just to support them.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #1338
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I’ve got some Jai Alai in the fridge right now. I remember back when it was only available in Florida so anytime I was down there on vacation that’s all I’d drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The longer they’ve been around here the more I go back. It’s distinctive versus a lot of west coast style ipa on the market which are good, but their taste will run together imo.

He Gets Us
Old 06-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #1339
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Good question, I’d probably go with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It’s one of those OG craft beers. A lot of times shopping for beer can feel overwhelming with all the choices and SN is often my go to. It’s basic enough that most people who claim to not like craft beer still like it and most beer snobs will admit it’s super solid. And I like the alcohol is only 5% so it’s very crushable.
Sierra Nevada is definitely an OG and good stuff. It's towards the top of the craft beers all times greats list.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #1340
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I like hearing about beers from other states. Everyone should be required to answer sd’s question here, I think you asked the best question that has ever been asked on The Warpath except for maybe Question 3 or favorite pie.
It's crazy how booming the craft beer market is. San Diego alone has over 150 breweries. There are a lot of good ones here. Green Flash West Coast IPA is another favorite. Those pack a wallop though. Not your every day beer or watch with sports all day beer.

Drakes in San Leandro California (bay area) makes a great pale ale (1500) and IPA (Best Coast IPA).

I typically roam in the pale ale/IPA world. If I want to go something light and refreshing I like the Kona Big Wave Golden Ale.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #1341
SunnySide
Playmaker

Foggy bottom -wholly crap I haven’t heard that name in many many years. It was them, Pete’s, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, honey brown, bass and a local beer wild goose(?)

Beer for the rest of my life?

Pliny the elder ... still the best drinker beer. Sip of sunshine as well.

But I think I’d go stout. Barrel aged first meal by RAR. Only had it twice but it left an impression
Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #1342
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If I ever had the time or the money I'd love to spend a football season doing a football game in every SEC town with a stop at FSU.

Or just start in Florida and drive up the east coast trying different beers in every state. So many options and each area of the country (sometimes even different parts of 1 state) typically has their own unique takes on how to brew beers and the flavor profiles they have.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #1343
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Foggy bottom -wholly crap I haven’t heard that name in many many years. It was them, Pete’s, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, honey brown, bass and a local beer wild goose(?)

But I think I’d go stout. Barrel aged first meal by RAR. Only had it twice but it left an impression
If you recognize these beers, than you know ima hog in this game.

Wild goose...yup, good one from back in the day

Ugh honey brown was so effin disgusting. I think I puked from that one time back in the day

He Gets Us
Old 06-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #1344
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Great question SD!
Schneed a pils is an excellent choice. They are tasty and very hard to brew. If you found a good one stick with it.

For me I have a few additional criteria that I would add packaging should be available in both bottles and cans. I do some activities like rock climbing and mountain biking. Throwing bottles into a pack is a pain. It also has to ubiquitous enough that I can find it throughout the US when travelling. For me that has to be Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #1345
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Foggy Bottom was one of the First Beer that I ever had when I turned 21!

Foggy Bottom was actually one of my favorite beers when I was younger. It's too bad that it isn't around anymore.

BTW...to answer the original question...If I could only be allowed to drink one beer or other alcoholic drink for the reminder of my life...I'd have to choose Twisted Iced Tea. The reason is that I like the flavor and it goes well just about any food.
If I had to choose a beer only, that was the only alcoholic beverage I would be able to drink for the remainder of my life, I think that I'd have to choose Yuengling beer . The reason for my choice of Yuengling is that while it is a nationally available beer , it has the taste of a micro brew beer and it goes well with a variety of foods.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #1346
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Ugh honey brown was so effin disgusting. I think I puked from that one time back in the day
LOL

That actually happened to me!

When I was a new drinker as a young man, I once drank a whole 6 Pack of JW Dundee's Honey Brown. Of course I got drunk and then I got sick I will never forget the gross after taste in my mouth each time I got sick
Now even the smell of a beer with honey in it will make me feel sick

Old 06-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #1347
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct1975 View Post
LOL

That actually happened to me!

When I was a new drinker as a young man, I once drank a whole 6 Pack of JW Dundee's Honey Brown. Of course I got drunk and then I got sick I will never forget the gross after taste in my mouth each time I got sick
Now even the smell of a beer with honey in it will make me feel sick

Ditto...dude, I can smell it now and the same and want to throw up. Flavored beer was a way to lure cross over beer drinkers...I remember Oregon Beer company made a raspberry or blackberry ale...also Sam Adams made a like cherry wheat was crazy tasting.

He Gets Us
Old 06-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #1348
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Ditto...dude, I can smell it now and the same and want to throw up. Flavored beer was a way to lure cross over beer drinkers...I remember Oregon Beer company made a raspberry or blackberry ale...also Sam Adams made a like cherry wheat was crazy tasting.
Yet every fall people here are talking about the Dark heavy beers / ales or the Pumpkin ones.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #1349
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Doubt it's available on the east coast because it's a San Diego company but Pizza Port (their pizza is legit too), has a real good session IPA, Ponto S.I.P.A. if you're looking for a beer with some good flavor, but not trying to get shitfaced. Only 4.5%. Think Coors Light is 4 2%.

Session beers are a relatively new thing out here. Imagine it's probably the same every where in America.

Any recommendations on east coast beers?

They also have a fantastic full IPA, Wipeout.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 08-08-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #1350
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm bored out of my mind right now. Not ready for sleep.

If you could only have 1 beer (doesn't even have to be beer) for the rest of your life, what would it be? Doesn't even have to be in business anymore. The only qualifications are: it has alcohol and you've had at least 1 of them.

Mine is the Alesmith .394 (the Tony Gwynn beer) pale ale. If Jager bombs were sustainable, that would be up there too.
I've never been more than a social drinker but I'd go with Optimal Wit by Port City, that's pretty popular for a DMV beer. Everytime I go out my friends are always trying out new craft beers but I always go back to the familiar pale ale's lol.