Around the NFL - 2023 Offseason Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #121
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Re: Around the NFL - 2023 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Nothing we don’t know. Was a lot of chatter about it being a weak quarterback class and teams shied away from the position as a whole. Dude is mobile, smart, and has a cannon. An accurate cannon. I got big hopes.
Put me in the category that is all for Howell starting, but I don't think it's gonna happen. For those of you old enough to remember, when Joe Gibbs came back to coach again...everyone was so excited for Patrick Ramsey because Joe was gonna get the best out of him...and he never sniffed the field again here because Joe brought in Brunell...so don't get too upset when EB brings in Andy Dalton or another vet to be the starter here because in a one year prove it year, I just don't think they're gonna put all their chips on Howell working out.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2023, 10:15 AM   #122
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Around the NFL - 2023 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
One of the most tired arguments in sports is when it comes to contracts. Fans seem to think players should be paid based on how we perceive their ranking solely based on their play, it just doesn't work that way. Next man up gets paid.

Fans don’t write checks teams do and teams certainly take performance into account. Alot of people on here who seem to think that Jones getting paid was the right move are the same people who didn’t want to give Cousins a long term deal.
Always easy when it’s not your team breaking the bank on a guy who isn’t Mahommes but wants that money to say ya gotta do it.

Last edited by punch it in; 03-08-2023 at 10:59 AM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:20 AM   #123
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Put me in the category that is all for Howell starting, but I don't think it's gonna happen. For those of you old enough to remember, when Joe Gibbs came back to coach again...everyone was so excited for Patrick Ramsey because Joe was gonna get the best out of him...and he never sniffed the field again here because Joe brought in Brunell...so don't get too upset when EB brings in Andy Dalton or another vet to be the starter here because in a one year prove it year, I just don't think they're gonna put all their chips on Howell working out.

I think if a Dalton type comes here he will be a veteran backup and consultant, mentor for Howell. Not a starter. Not right away. Only if Howell shits the bed. If that happens we will have a high pick next year and we can draft someone early because a guy like Dalton or whoever comes in isn’t going to make a difference.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:32 AM   #124
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Fans don’t write checks teams do and teams certainly take performance into account. Alot of people on here who seem to think that Jones getting paid was the right move are the same people who didn’t want to give Cousins a long term deal.
Teams are always going to want to avoid giving any players big pay days. Also, Cousins didn't want to be here, so people really need to stop using a comparison.

However, using Cousins as an example, a lot of Vikings fans are upset that he gets paid these crazy fully guaranteed deals, yet his ceiling seems to be one and done in the playoffs. But he provides steady QB play, if they move on from him, what's their plan?

The same with the Giants, yes it is risky to sign Jones, but what do they do if they move on from him? They have a late round pick in the draft, they are not getting a QB in the draft.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #125
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Teams are always going to want to avoid giving any players big pay days. Also, Cousins didn't want to be here, so people really need to stop using a comparison.

However, using Cousins as an example, a lot of Vikings fans are upset that he gets paid these crazy fully guaranteed deals, yet his ceiling seems to be one and done in the playoffs. But he provides steady QB play, if they move on from him, what's their plan?

The same with the Giants, yes it is risky to sign Jones, but what do they do if they move on from him? They have a late round pick in the draft, they are not getting a QB in the draft.

Well we franchised Cousins twice instead of locking him up and I think he took that as they don’t want me. Quarterback purgatory happens when you lock a guy up for big money and he isn’t worth that money. Can happen if you don’t lock them up too. Like I said it is a tricky situation.
Alot of people are bringing up Dak in comparison to Jones, but Dak threw for 30 plus touchdowns twice before his deal. It was a no brainer that now seemingly isn’t panning out. I don’t blame Dallas though for locking him up when they did. Jones is just a completely different story. 15 td’s. Uggh.

Anyway we can all rejoice when Daniel Jones implodes due to the pressure on him now, Dak continues to turn the ball over at an alarming rate getting paid big money also, and Howell becomes the steal of the 2022 draft!
Old 03-08-2023, 11:41 AM   #126
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I think if a Dalton type comes here he will be a veteran backup and consultant, mentor for Howell. Not a starter. Not right away. Only if Howell shits the bed. If that happens we will have a high pick next year and we can draft someone early because a guy like Dalton or whoever comes in isn’t going to make a difference.
I hope you're right.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:49 AM   #127
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Andy Dalton lol
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:51 AM   #128
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree. I just want EB to make the choice of who the vet is…and I’d still consider QB in the draft if we like him.

Options open on QB…my only exception would be an expensive one which folks have already expressed why that ain’t happening

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #129
MTK
\m/

@AndrewBrandt
Daniel Jones contract.
Reported from sources (agents):
4 years, $160 million
Reality:
2 years, $82 million.
Still a very good deal. $12 million more than Derek Carr, who was a free agent.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:06 PM   #130
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I agree. I just want EB to make the choice of who the vet is…and I’d still consider QB in the draft if we like him.

Options open on QB…my only exception would be an expensive one which folks have already expressed why that ain’t happening

If Young, Stroud, Richardson, or Levis falls to 16 what are you doing?
Old 03-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #131
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
If any of the first 3 fall I’d take them. Levis, I’d pass.

Even later in the draft if we really like someone, take him.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #132
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
If any of the first 3 fall I’d take them. Levis, I’d pass.

Even later in the draft if we really like someone, take him.

Wonder what will happen with Heineke? I think we are going to wind up taking someone mid to late draft for sure if none of those guys fall.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:08 PM   #133
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
@AndrewBrandt
Daniel Jones contract.
Reported from sources (agents):
4 years, $160 million
Reality:
2 years, $82 million.
Still a very good deal. $12 million more than Derek Carr, who was a free agent.

Doug Rush
@TheDougRush
Daniel Jones’ contract breakdown in full:

2023: $9.5M base salary. $19M cap hit.
2024: $35.5M base salary. $45.5M cap hit.
2025: $30M base salary. $39.5M cap hit.

2026: $46M base salary, $56.5M cap hit.

If released before 2025: the Giants can save $21M with an $18.5M cap hit.

If released before 2026: the Giants can save $47.5M with a $9M cap hit.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:03 PM   #134
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Young and Stroud will be gone, especially if someone like Indy trade up with Chicago. In that case I doubt any of the 4 will be available. There are 5 or 6 teams above us likely to take a QB. Even so, do we want either of the other 2 if they're still on the board? Richardson is more likely to be another Haskins than a Mahomes at this stage, and Levis isn't ready either is he? We have one unproven rookie, do we start the season with 2? And assuming we pick up a vet (even if intended as a backup) what dynamic does that create in the QB room if Howell and Richardson both look raw? Unless Howell shits the bed, and gets cut, we could be forced into carrying 3 QBs with no clear cut starter, and each looking to pounce if the starter fails. If we draft a QB it I'd say it has to be a viable day 1 starter, and that guy won't be there at #16.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:05 PM   #135
MTK
\m/

Given the slim pickings at QB last year, I think teams will be extra aggressive going after them in this draft. The top 10 is going to be a QB feeding frenzy. Raw or not I like the upside with Richardson.