Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #121
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
players like Cooley can be found in the draft in the mid rounds. i really don't see anyone making a trade for him and his salary. he's a good player but he's not a great player.
And Tom Bradys and Marques Coltons can be found in the 6th and 7th rounds, so why even bother drafting QBs and WRs before then? We found Chris Horton in the 7th - why would anyone give up more than that for Troy Polamalu? Atleast one TE is drafted in the first round almost every year. Just because you can find a pro-bowl player in the later rounds, doesn't mean its easy or that its even likely to happen. If a team is in dire need of ANY starting position on offense or defense, and there's a young pro-bowler available, most teams would consider giving up a 1st rounder as opposed to gambling on a draft pick.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #122
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I would trade Landry before I trade Cooley. There's no need to trade Cooley, I would cut ARE and possibly trade Santana Moss at the WR positions and have Thomas, Kelly and Mitchell be the starters while we find another young guy which we might already have on the roster or PS.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #123
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
And Tom Bradys and Marques Coltons can be found in the 6th and 7th rounds, so why even bother drafting QBs and WRs before then? We found Chris Horton in the 7th - why would anyone give up more than that for Troy Polamalu? Atleast one TE is drafted in the first round almost every year. Just because you can find a pro-bowl player in the later rounds, doesn't mean its easy or that its even likely to happen. If a team is in dire need of ANY starting position on offense or defense, and there's a young pro-bowler available, most teams would consider giving up a 1st rounder as opposed to gambling on a draft pick.
Well first of all Horton isn't a proven player. Before he got hurt he got benched for poor play. So let's not put him in the same category of success as Brady and Colston. I understand your point but my point was finding a pass catching TE isn't a difficult position to find in the draft. Would you agree with that?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #124
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Yes, we should do it, that's an awesome deal. I'd miss him, but we gotta get this team straight.
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #125
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would trade Landry before I trade Cooley. There's no need to trade Cooley, I would cut ARE and possibly trade Santana Moss at the WR positions and have Thomas, Kelly and Mitchell be the starters while we find another young guy which we might already have on the roster or PS.
I'd say the stock on Landry has taken quite a tumble. The whole league now knows he's susceptible to the double move. I hate to say it but he's looking awfully familiar to Roy Williams.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #126
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
What are you going to get back in a trade for Moss? Nothing. I'd still keep him around cause he's still the best wr on the team. Landry just needs to be coached up. Although he's a punk and can't cover my mother, he still has value. He's probably the best athlete on the team. He has the ability to be a top player, he just needs to learn how to be a pro. He made some real nice plays yesterday but that gets over shadowed cause Oakland exploited him in coverage. Landry's problems can be corrected.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #127
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
What are you going to get back in a trade for Moss? Nothing.
3rd or 4th rounder, there are teams out there that need a WR, Baltimore comes to mind.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #128
SBXVII
Franchise Player

.....NO. Were just going to trade away one of our best players, simply trade away our Pro Bowler? I got a better idea. The stock for Davis is going up, since he's not a Pro Bowler how about we trade him?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #129
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Well first of all Horton isn't a proven player. Before he got hurt he got benched for poor play. So let's not put him in the same category of success as Brady and Colston. I understand your point but my point was finding a pass catching TE isn't a difficult position to find in the draft. Would you agree with that?
we're not talking about just a "pass-catching TE." We're talking about a pro-bowl level pass-catching stud of a TE. And not to side-track from the thread too much, Brady is more a product of a system than anything and and Cooley is a MUCH better TE than Colston is a WR. You do not find TE's like Cooley in every draft, and they rarely make it to the 3rd round or later. We really lucked out with Cooley.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #130
celts32
Playmaker

I would trade cooley for a #1 in a second and I would consider trading him for a #2. 1st & 3rd is a pipedream.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #131
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Cooley is one of my favorite Redskins, but I would trade him for a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick without any hesitation for a few reasons.

First, there are very few, if any, tight ends in the league who are worth a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick. Tony Gonzalez, perhaps the best tight end in the history of the game, was traded for a 2nd round pick. Granted, Gonzalez is much older than Cooley, but he's also a much better player. Jeremy Shockey, who is younger but not as good as Gonzalez, was traded for a 2nd round pick as well. I just don't think that a guy with so-so blocking skills and who puts up 800 yards per season is worth a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick.

Second, Fred Davis is developing into a very nice player. I don't think he's as good as Cooley right now, but he's got more athleticism and upside. If Cooley returns to full-time duty next season, I can't see Davis reeling in more than 25 passes for 250 yards. That's a pretty insignificant return on Davis' talent. I think Davis could step into Cooley's shoes and match his production.

Third, Chris Cooley will be 28 next season. Odds are that he will be at the apex of his career. In other words, if Cooley were a stock, he'd be set to reach his "high" next season. What's that old saying about when to buy and sell stocks?

Fourth, we have so many needs at other positions right now. We need extra picks to acquire an offensive tackle, an offensive guard, a center, a quarterbacks, a running back, etc.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #132
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
.....NO. Were just going to trade away one of our best players, simply trade away our Pro Bowler? I got a better idea. The stock for Davis is going up, since he's not a Pro Bowler how about we trade him?
that would be stupid, why don't we trade all of our young players that are making an impact and keep all the older players, don't get me wrong I like Cooley, but at this point we really look better with the team we are fielding right now, they all seem to be on the same page. Why fuck with that because there are a bunch of man crushes on Cooley? Give me Davis all day he's a huge specimen that's only going to get better, we've seen what Chris can do and he's good at it but Davis is still learning and he's our best goal line threat..IMO
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #133
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I am reminded of a statement Shawn Springs made last year during his "exit" interview on ESPN980. I'm paraphasing but he said something very close to this:

Quote:
No disrespect to Chris (Cooley), but mark my words - Fred Davis is going to be the best tight end in the league.
Kevin and whoever else was interviewing him were laughing and were like, "you've got to be kidding me." But Springs was adamant that he was dead serious. Given equal compensation (and in an uncapped year of course), i'd trade Cooley over Davis and not think twice about it. Now, if there is a cap next year, we simply can't trade Cooley. In that scenario, Davis becomes more trade-able, but if the compensation were only a 2nd rounder, i'd keep them both and find a way to give both of them on the field in the teams "base" offense.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #134
Eknox
Impact Rookie

I'd trade Cooley for a 2nd rounder in a heartbeat, that would be a valuable pick to use on a O lineman. Why would we keep two TE with so many needs cause we can't get a #1 for him, cap or not you keep your best scoring threat Davis, and ship Cooley's ass on the 1st thing smoking.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #135
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Keep both Cooley and Davis to have the best 2 tightend set in football. I just hope after this season when cooley is healthy they don't, "betts" Fred and put him back on the shelf that would be dumb.