do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #121
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
No it's not the same. On the highway I'll move over to allow them to pass in the appropriate passing lane. On a normal 2 lane road I don't have to concede. I may slow down but I'll still go a reasonable speed, I'm not slowing down to a ridiculous crawl.
It's passive aggressive either way you cut it, and designed to incite another driver to change their behavior.

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #122
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No it doesn't. It slows people down. And that's safer every day of the week.

The less the speed differential between cars on the road, the safer the road. Someone said it earlier, an elderly dude going 45 when everyone else is going 65 is just as dangerous as someone going 85 when everyone else is going 65.

The speed differential is what limits reaction times. Eliminate that differential and you have a safer road.

Come on, argue the logic. You're all tied up in the fact that I'm a combative jerk. Cool your heads and debate. Explain to me how I'm wrong? GMScud said this point could be argued the other way, well I still haven't heard anyone argue it.
That's interesting coming from you in this topic haha
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #123
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Had to dig this up. How is this better or different from what I do?
one lane each way so your speed differential judgment stuff no longer holds up with switching lanes and all, that was your fundamental argument right?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #124
MTK
\m/

Quote:
It's passive aggressive either way you cut it, and designed to incite another driver to change their behavior.
The intent isn't quite the same. I'm not trying to be a traffic enforcer.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #125
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Actually, the way I read it, you did:

"I would not be selfish enough to endanger others so that I could spend the last 9 minutes with my mom." (Not to be a jerk, but I fixed your typos/spelling )

That sounds to me like you said you wouldn't be selfish enough to act the way Moats did.

I appreciate your input, but I don't think I need much help with my reading comprehension.

Ok fair enough, I am self proclaimed horrible speller. Plus at work I don't take the time to proof read. Sorry I am tired and having a bad day.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #126
Monksdown
The Starter

I am a fast driver by my nature. 10-20 over on non residential roads. I drive the speed limit in residential areas. If i'm on a highway, and someone jumps in front of me while i'm passing in the left lane, i get a little upset. If i think it's intentional, i get aggressive.

So trying to enforce the law yourself, endangers yourself.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #127
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Ok fair enough, I am self proclaimed horrible speller. Plus at work I don't take the time to proof read. Sorry I am tired and having a bad day.
No worries. Hope your day gets better. I swear I have a food hangover today. I consumed mass quantities yesterday.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #128
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
No it doesn't. It slows people down. And that's safer every day of the week.

The less the speed differential between cars on the road, the safer the road. Someone said it earlier, an elderly dude going 45 when everyone else is going 65 is just as dangerous as someone going 85 when everyone else is going 65.

The speed differential is what limits reaction times. Eliminate that differential and you have a safer road.

Come on, argue the logic. You're all tied up in the fact that I'm a combative jerk. Cool your heads and debate. Explain to me how I'm wrong? GMScud said this point could be argued the other way, well I still haven't heard anyone argue it.
Ok. I'll take a stab at it.

First off, let me say that I don't really condone going 95mph. I'll go 85 in a 75 all day if conditions permit (very light traffic, no adverse weather, etc).

But if someone is in the fast lane going 95 in straight line, I think they are less of a danger to cause an accident than someone raging at 75mph.

A couple of things about that last sentence: 1) Someone going 95 is always going to be at risk of causing a wreck, I just contend it's LESS of a risk than a road rager going 20mph slower. 2) My definition of road rage involves things like aggressively weaving through slower traffic without signaling. Also tailgating, flashing your lights, and showing emotion at people who's driving you don't approve of (middle fingers, etc).

If someone is that overly aggressive, weaving through lanes, and so focused on other drivers rather than operating their own vehicle safely, I think they are WAY more likely to cause a wreck than someone focused on the road, going 20mph faster in a straight line. It seems like common sense to me really. You mention speed differential affecting reaction times. I don't disagree with that, but the I'd say the road rage behavior I discussed above would have a pretty adverse affect on reaction times as well.

Again, I don't approve of either behavior.

Last edited by GMScud; 04-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #129
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:

First off, let me say that I don't really condone going 95mph. I'll go 85 in a 75 all day if conditions permit (very light traffic, no adverse weather, etc).

But if someone is in the fast lane going 95 in straight line, I think they are less of a danger to cause an accident than someone raging at 75mph.

A couple of things about that last sentence: 1) Someone going 95 is always going to be at risk of causing a wreck, I just contend it's LESS of a risk than a road rager going 20mph slower. 2) My definition of road rage involves things like aggressively weaving through slower traffic without signaling. Also tailgating, flashing your lights, and showing emotion at people who's driving you don't approve of (middle fingers, etc).

If someone is that overly aggressive, weaving through lanes, and so focused on other drivers rather than operating their own vehicle safely, I think they are WAY more likely to cause a wreck than someone focused on the road, going 20mph faster in a straight line. It seems like common sense to me really. You mention speed differential affecting reaction times. I don't disagree with that, but the I'd say the road rage behavior I discussed above would have a pretty adverse affect on reaction times as well.

This pretty much sums up what pisses me off. Overly aggressive assholes. Now, maybe the reason I get pissed at the people going 95 is because typically THEY are the aggressive drivers. I've never had someone fly up on me going 90-100 and stay off my bumper. I would think that fast drivers are 99 out of 100 times are typically aggressive assholes too.

So rare to find a fast, yet courteous driver.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #130
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

OK, well if that's what you're thinking by road rage, then yeah I'm with you. That's way more dangerous than 95 at a straight line. But it's rare when I've seen someone go to such great lengths to get around a blockade, most people aren't that nuts.

In the rare instances when I've seen someone driving that crazy, I just get as far away as possible because it's flat out dangerous and stupid. I do call the cops on 'em when possible, but steering clear is the name of the game. Do you see guys do this much? That seems like a pretty fantasized example of road rage, and in my experience isn't prevalent.

And as TMC said, the choice isn't really 95 and a straight line vs 75 and road rage. Usually the offender is a tailgater to boot. I'd rather him tailgate me at 75 than weave through traffic somewhere ahead of me.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #131
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
This pretty much sums up what pisses me off. Overly aggressive assholes. Now, maybe the reason I get pissed at the people going 95 is because typically THEY are the aggressive drivers. I've never had someone fly up on me going 90-100 and stay off my bumper. I would think that fast drivers are 99 out of 100 times are typically aggressive assholes too.

So rare to find a fast, yet courteous driver.

What's up? I am a fast, yet curteous driver...nice to meet you...sort of.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #132
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
OK, well if that's what you're thinking by road rage, then yeah I'm with you. That's way more dangerous than 95 at a straight line. But it's rare when I've seen someone go to such great lengths to get around a blockade, most people aren't that nuts.

In the rare instances when I've seen someone driving that crazy, I just get as far away as possible because it's flat out dangerous and stupid. I do call the cops on 'em when possible, but steering clear is the name of the game. Do you see guys do this much? That seems like a pretty fantasized example of road rage, and in my experience isn't prevalent.

And as TMC said, the choice isn't really 95 and a straight line vs 75 and road rage. Usually the offender is a tailgater to boot. I'd rather him tailgate me at 75 than weave through traffic somewhere ahead of me.
Then I guess the gist of the whole debate is the definition of road rage. I've seen drivers act the way I've described plenty of times. In fact, it's rare that I've been on a long road trip and not seen an A-hole of this caliber at some point on the way.

If the debate is simply would you rather someone go 95 in a straight line or tailgate the guy going 75 in the left lane, then obviously the argument goes your way. IMO the act of tailgating is stupid, but in and of itself it doesn't necessarily amount to road rage. Combined with other stuff I'd say it's part of road rage, but not alone though.

Last edited by GMScud; 04-13-2009 at 11:40 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #133
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
What's up? I am a fast, yet curteous driver...nice to meet you...sort of.
Haha. Like I said... rare.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #134
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Then I guess the gist of the whole debate is the definition of road rage. I've seen drivers act the way I've described plenty of times. In fact, it's rare that I've been on a long road trip and not seen an A-hole of this caliber at some point on the way.

If the debate is simply would you rather someone go 95 in a straight line or tailgate the guy going 75 in the left lane, then obviously the argument goes your way. IMO the act of tailgating is stupid, but in and of itself it doesn't necessarily amount to road rage. Combined with other stuff I'd say it's part of road rage, but not alone though.
All I can say on the matter is that when I block someone from flying up the left lane at 90mph, their response is usually to tail me and flash their lights. Then they'll try to get around by passing on the right somehow, but it's rarely done in an out of control manner.

I think of road rage as simply being pissed off behind the wheel. It's something a passenger in the road-rager's car notices more than anything, the driver yelling, cursing, pounding the steering wheel, flashing the middle finger. I think this is very common for drivers when they get upset. What's not so common is taking it to the level where you're actually whipping between lanes and driving recklessly as a result of your anger.

In my experience, reckless drivers aren't doing it because someone set them off, they just whip in and out of lanes because they're assholes and that's how they drive.

I can't say I've seen a left-lane-block that's caused somebody to go from driving like Angry does (95 and "courteous") to driving like an insane maniac.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #135
dominionxp

of course, who doesnt speed?
dominionxp is offline   Reply With Quote