Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Biggest surprise cut?
Mason 53 43.44%
Frost 4 3.28%
McMullen 54 44.26%
Mix 4 3.28%
Richardson 2 1.64%
other 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #121
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Comment on the alleged draft failure regarding Thomas and Kelly.

One, they've both been injured. Hard to learn and progress in the pro-game (especially in one with the WCO) if you can't take reps.

Two, given the last point, why are y'all (and of course, not all y'all), why are you ready to call them failures? My guess: You are (perhaps rightly!) suspicious of Vinny. Fine. But this year they went draft heavy as opposed to FA heavy. This is one of the down sides of going with the draft. A little patience please!

Three, Do you really want them to bring in a has-been vet cast off who might help us in the beginning of this year, but adds NOTHING to the future of this team? Now, Thomas and Kelly might be busts, but there is clearly POTENTIAL there. No potential in a vet beyond a few games this year. Is that good FO policy?

Four, I'm sorry folks, but Billy McMullin is not that good. He's not bad either, and he played well in preseason. But is there really a great upside with him? Maybe, but it's a long shot. We didn't keep him, in any event, because we had worries elsewhere. It's not McMullin vs. Thomas/Kelly. It's McMullin vs. the needs at Dline, DB, Oline, etc. Now, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another WR on the team or even Billy McM during the year as play and health dictate. But right now, we've got other issues.

Advertisements
Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #122
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but a nice rebuttal of Wise's BS (IMO) column this morning in the Post. From Rich Tandler's skins blog:

Rich Tandler's Real Redskins: Stirring a Frosty pot
Old 08-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #123
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

There is a saying in basketball that a player is "All-airport". It means that he is very tall and looks very athletic so when he comes into town through the airport people stare at him and think he's a great basketball player - - but he really can't play...

Billy McMullen is the football version of "All-airport"...

Any NFL team that counts on him to be a difference maker is a team going nowhere.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #124
EXoffender
The Starter

I'm surprised Justin Hamilton made the cut and we're keeping 5 safeties. It could be a little insurance since Landry is still ailing. He could be the next "Redskins Yo-Yo".
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #125
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXoffender View Post
I'm surprised Justin Hamilton made the cut and we're keeping 5 safeties. It could be a little insurance since Landry is still ailing. He could be the next "Redskins Yo-Yo".
He had a great game against Jacksonville, this guy is big and can hit, same goes for Horton and Moore. I like what I see in all 3 of them, NFC East will have to respect our safeties, even if they can't cover as well yet, they can put a hurt on you.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #126
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post

One, they've both been injured. Hard to learn and progress in the pro-game (especially in one with the WCO) if you can't take reps.

Two, given the last point, why are y'all (and of course, not all y'all), why are you ready to call them failures? My guess: You are (perhaps rightly!) suspicious of Vinny. Fine. But this year they went draft heavy as opposed to FA heavy. This is one of the down sides of going with the draft. A little patience please!

Three, Do you really want them to bring in a has-been vet cast off who might help us in the beginning of this year, but adds NOTHING to the future of this team? Now, Thomas and Kelly might be busts, but there is clearly POTENTIAL there. No potential in a vet beyond a few games this year. Is that good FO policy?

Four, I'm sorry folks, but Billy McMullin is not that good. He's not bad either, and he played well in preseason. But is there really a great upside with him? Maybe, but it's a long shot. We didn't keep him, in any event, because we had worries elsewhere. It's not McMullin vs. Thomas/Kelly. It's McMullin vs. the needs at Dline, DB, Oline, etc. Now, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another WR on the team or even Billy McM during the year as play and health dictate. But right now, we've got other issues.
I thnk there's a difference between developing players for the future and bring in players to help right away so the team an go back to the playoffs. Thomas and Kelly are great pick ups for the future and hopefully they will develop into a good wideout group our team can depend on. So for the goal of getting young receivers that can help the future of the team, this was a successful draft. To be honest, no one should have expected for Thomas and Kelly to come in and help our team deficiencies in offense and help them get back to the playoffs.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #127
DIRTEE
Special Teams

They are both upgrades over Brandon Lloyd.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #128
mitch e
Camp Scrub

Talking Re: Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

I am 63 and I am an upgrade over BL!! And will work for alot less money.
mitch e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #129
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Speaking of the devil, I just saw that the Dolphins picked BL from waivers. Interesting.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #130
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Speaking of the devil, I just saw that the Dolphins picked BL from waivers. Interesting.
Huh....? I believe the unpopular Ex-Skin BL is starting with the bears.....

You must be speaking of Brandon London waived by the giants.

DOLPHINS CLAIM ALLEMAN, GARNER, LONDON

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2008, 6:05 p.m.
The Miami Dolphins have had an active day on the waiver wire, claiming three players who were waived yesterday.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that Miami picked up center Andy Alleman, a 2007 third-round draft pick who was waived by the Saints yesterday. Alleman is a talented player, and Schefter reports that nearly a quarter of the league wanted him: In addition to Miami, he was claimed by Arizona, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, New England and the New York Jets.
The Dolphins also claimed offensive tackle Nate Garner, waived by the Jets, and wide receiver Brandon London, waived by the Giants.
Other waiver claims made today include Indianapolis grabbing linebacker Buster Davis from the Lions. Davis was a third-round pick of the Cardinals last year.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #131
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Huh....? I believe the unpopular Ex-Skin BL is starting with the bears.....

You must be speaking of Brandon London waived by the giants.

DOLPHINS CLAIM ALLEMAN, GARNER, LONDON

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2008, 6:05 p.m.
The Miami Dolphins have had an active day on the waiver wire, claiming three players who were waived yesterday.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that Miami picked up center Andy Alleman, a 2007 third-round draft pick who was waived by the Saints yesterday. Alleman is a talented player, and Schefter reports that nearly a quarter of the league wanted him: In addition to Miami, he was claimed by Arizona, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, New England and the New York Jets.
The Dolphins also claimed offensive tackle Nate Garner, waived by the Jets, and wide receiver Brandon London, waived by the Giants.
Other waiver claims made today include Indianapolis grabbing linebacker Buster Davis from the Lions. Davis was a third-round pick of the Cardinals last year.
Hey I said BL. LOL.

My bad, I screwed up.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #132
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Hey I said BL. LOL.

My bad, I screwed up.
Yea, I know....lol
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #133
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

More JLC:

The fact that all 10 draft picks made the roster, even with many of them not exactly shining in the preseason, was not lost on the veterans. The fact that 20 percent of the roster is occupied by these players, again, something that was talked about a bit in the lockeroom.

'It's a dirty business,' one veteran said of the fact all 10 draft picks made it. 'It's not always about football around here.'"
Redskins Insider

So - how does this mesh with other reports that this team was having great chemistry with the vets helping young guys (looked for link, I think it was a Mosely story (ESPN)). Sounds to me like its just more of JLC's sour grapes over having new guys make the team and his old stand-bys getting the ax.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 08-31-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Include link
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #134
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
More JLC:

The fact that all 10 draft picks made the roster, even with many of them not exactly shining in the preseason, was not lost on the veterans. The fact that 20 percent of the roster is occupied by these players, again, something that was talked about a bit in the lockeroom.

'It's a dirty business,' one veteran said of the fact all 10 draft picks made it. 'It's not always about football around here.'"
Redskins Insider

So - how does this mesh with other reports that this team was having great chemistry with the vets helping young guys (looked for link, I think it was a Mosely story (ESPN)). Sounds to me like its just more of JLC's sour grapes over having new guys make the team and his old stand-bys getting the ax.
JLC is working way to hard for it!
Perhaps he is the evil "love child" of Sally Jenkins?....and?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #135
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post

I don't think anyone is calling Kelly or Thomas busts. Impossible to do so after such a short time. But given's their injuries and what little we've seen from Thomas when healthy, McMullen gives us a stop-gap player with experience in the WCO who is the big we guy we haven't had, and still don't have with Thomas struggling and Kelly unable to play. That's why I suggested PUP-ing Kelly, and keeping McMullen for a while Kelly gets healthy and Thomas gets more comfortable. McMullen is no star, but he played very well all preseason and clearly understands the offense.