Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins rookie signing thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #121
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

You don't give up what our FO gave up for Griffin then haggle over language.
I'm putting this on FO to get this deal done.

Advertisements
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #122
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
You don't give up what our FO gave up for Griffin then haggle over language.
I'm putting this on FO to get this deal done.
I'll bet that Griff's agent is making exactly the same argument.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #123
HailGreen28
Playmaker

If teams are waiting around for each other to hold fast or bend, on letting players make more money on their own in endorsements and such, is it wrong to think: "Danny can afford it. Let's give the other team owners the middle finger for Capgate."

Supposedly the reason most owners were mad at Snyder and Jerrah Jones, is not just that the Skins and Cows were using the uncapped year to dump salary. It was because 1.) The Skins and Cows were in essence paying their players more than most teams were willing to or could, by opening their checkbooks the uncapped year and still spending as much as they could in cap years. And 2.) The big money that Wash and Dallass were paying out, made contract negotiations between other teams and their players at that time harder to reach. In effect, the Skins and Cows were shaking their wealth at other teams' faces.

Well, since the league gave us the middle finger with the cap penalty, with an overwhelming majority of owners voting to screw us, I'd like to see the Skins sign Griffin to a deal where not only do they not restrict Griffin making extra money, they help all our players to get more appearances and more advertising deals to help themselves and sometimes the Skins outside of NFL business.

Jerrah Jones did this to some extent with his Pepsi deal back in the mid '90s. Let's do it with outside-the-nfl endorsements to give our players more money, make our team more attractive to free agents, and shoot back a middle finger at the owners that screwed us.

Yes it's another reason for other owners to hate us, and some owners may really be going through tough times. But after Capgate, I'd say those owners have some apologizing to do to Snyder and Jones, for breaking their own rules over Mara's screwjob. And if push comes to shove, the league would be just as good with say 28 teams rather than 32 teams if some of those teams go under.

Does this make sense? Is it petty? Would it backfire?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #124
InsaneBoost
The Starter

It'll be done by tomorrow no worries. Hell, I wouldn't even throw out by the end of tonight to be honest.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #125
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
It'll be done by tomorrow no worries. Hell, I wouldn't even throw out by the end of tonight to be honest.
That would be cool.
Although its only rookie camp (no pads, no contact) if Griffin shows up you gotta expect the entire focus will be getting him up to or ahead of the guys showing up on the July,25.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #126
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Eh, may not happen as I thought. Still should be sometime soon, but maybe a couple days. Still would say this week for sure. Originally heard Monday though (as he's confirmed).

Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #127
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

The Redskins didn't draft Griffin III and give up so much for him if they didn't intend to make him a franchise quarterback and give him pay equivalent to that role. He'll be in camp on time.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 07-16-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #128
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

if it is the offset that is stopping these top draft picks from signing, that sure seems like a bizarre spot to pick a fight. I didn't really think it would drag into one day of RGIII, Luck, or any of the others missing a day, rookie report or otherwise.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #129
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
if it is the offset that is stopping these top draft picks from signing, that sure seems like a bizarre spot to pick a fight. I didn't really think it would drag into one day of RGIII, Luck, or any of the others missing a day, rookie report or otherwise.
I agree. I wonder if the drama isn't agent-driven. If there is nothing to fight about, there's no real reason to have an agent...so perhaps agents will pick any battle that they can find, no matter how small.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #130
lockeroomman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'll bet that Griff's agent is making exactly the same argument.
Yah +1
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #131
30gut
Playmaker

My 2 cents...

(1) The Colts realize that the language of their contract with Luck will set the precedent for the language in the other top contracts.
The Colts don't open camp until July 28.
They gain nothing by signing Luck before the 28th and also get to put the teams waiting on them at a competitive disadvantage.

(2) The specualtion is the contract hinges on offset language within the contract.
Especially in our case it makes no sense to haggle over such contract language.
We gave up alot to get Griffin everyone knows he's our guy.
If we end up cutting Griffin a few million is the least of our problems.
And the Panthers (who also have an early camp) already signed their 9th pick without the offset language.

(3) We cannot/must not wait on Luck.
Its up to the FO to get this deal done, asap.
They need to think for themselves and set their own precedent.
If they wait on Luck, Griff might not be at camp til the 28/29.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #132
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
If teams are waiting around for each other to hold fast or bend, on letting players make more money on their own in endorsements and such, is it wrong to think: "Danny can afford it. Let's give the other team owners the middle finger for Capgate."

Supposedly the reason most owners were mad at Snyder and Jerrah Jones, is not just that the Skins and Cows were using the uncapped year to dump salary. It was because 1.) The Skins and Cows were in essence paying their players more than most teams were willing to or could, by opening their checkbooks the uncapped year and still spending as much as they could in cap years. And 2.) The big money that Wash and Dallass were paying out, made contract negotiations between other teams and their players at that time harder to reach. In effect, the Skins and Cows were shaking their wealth at other teams' faces.

Well, since the league gave us the middle finger with the cap penalty, with an overwhelming majority of owners voting to screw us, I'd like to see the Skins sign Griffin to a deal where not only do they not restrict Griffin making extra money, they help all our players to get more appearances and more advertising deals to help themselves and sometimes the Skins outside of NFL business.

Jerrah Jones did this to some extent with his Pepsi deal back in the mid '90s. Let's do it with outside-the-nfl endorsements to give our players more money, make our team more attractive to free agents, and shoot back a middle finger at the owners that screwed us.

Yes it's another reason for other owners to hate us, and some owners may really be going through tough times. But after Capgate, I'd say those owners have some apologizing to do to Snyder and Jones, for breaking their own rules over Mara's screwjob. And if push comes to shove, the league would be just as good with say 28 teams rather than 32 teams if some of those teams go under.

Does this make sense? Is it petty? Would it backfire?
The other owners may have seen it that way. However, our approach to the uncapped year wasnt done out of spite to the other owners. It was the first big pill needed to 'correct' the ship. It enabled current management(Allen) to move the organization forward while being fiscally responsible. IMO, Allen represents a focus on long term wins, not ticket sales. We're still obviously feeling the side effects of that medicine, but it is more likely to work than the previous model.

In that light, i cant see Allen deciding to make poor business decisions just to shake their collective burgundy fists at other owners. He's smarter than that. (minus the Garcon contract)
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #133
RGIII

RGIII will miss one practice session, if any. It's the spirit of negotiating...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #134
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
RGIII will miss one practice session, if any. It's the spirit of negotiating...
That's right. Low stress. Negotiating is fun. It's very human.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #135
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I agree. I wonder if the drama isn't agent-driven. If there is nothing to fight about, there's no real reason to have an agent...so perhaps agents will pick any battle that they can find, no matter how small.
Yup, also if there is an offset clause, I would imagine if it ever is invoked that means the agent is the one really losing out, so I can see them fighting tooth and nail to keep it out.
Closed Thread