Scott Turner Fired

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #121
MTK
\m/

Re: Scott Turner Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Yeah, he'd be great behind this o-line, which would essentially be the same (or perhaps worse) next year if you trade away a bunch of picks and take on that contract.

He had the benefit of having the 3rd best o-line this year according to PFF and he's watching the playoffs just like we are. Our o-line has to be bottom 5-10... You think he won't get killed?

Besides that, Seattle received multiple quality players and five draft picks for RW. AR would garner that and more. Nobody can be serious about giving up all those assets AND taking on his $30+ million contract, if they are also serious about improving the entirety of the roster - which is desperately needed.
I'd be dead serious about making the move for Rodgers.

AR and a couple of OL and we'd be ready to cook.

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2023, 03:52 PM   #122
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah, he'd be great behind this o-line, which would essentially be the same (or perhaps worse) next year if you trade away a bunch of picks and take on that contract.

He had the benefit of having the 3rd best o-line this year according to PFF and he's watching the playoffs just like we are. Our o-line has to be bottom 5-10... You think he won't get killed?

Besides that, Seattle received multiple quality players and five draft picks for RW. AR would garner that and more. Nobody can be serious about giving up all those assets AND taking on his $30+ million contract, if they are also serious about improving the entirety of the roster - which is desperately needed.
Rodgers had the 3rd best line but that didn't compensate for the lack of experienced receivers. While we do need to improve our o-line, a lot of the issues the o-line had this year had to do with the QB play (Wentz terrible decision-making and opposing defenses were not scare of TH passing).

Between Rodgers' passing ability, our WRs, and our running game, you could have 5 of us at the line and it probably wouldn't matter much.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:43 PM   #123
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'd be dead serious about making the move for Rodgers.

AR and a couple of OL and we'd be ready to cook.
Just like Russ was ready to cook? He cooked Nathaniel Hackett right back out of town before the season was over.

Y'all want to bring Rodgers here, pay him $30+ million, trade away 5-6 draft picks, put him behind a worse o-line, with the same play caller, and expect different results?

No thanks. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not falling for that again.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #124
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Bringing AR in here would be a terrible idea. He is past his prime. Can't even beat the Lions at home with everything on the line. He isn't the player he once was. He was just throwing the ball up for grabs cause the Lions were putting heat on him. He doesn't want to get hit anymore.

I can get 3,600 and 26 td's out of Howell. Sure I may have to deal with some young QB mistakes but so be it. I want a QB to build around, not a guy who's a diva and is thinking about retirement after every season.

Also AR is not coming here under any circumstances. He'd retire before he came here.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:12 PM   #125
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Bringing AR in here would be a terrible idea. He is past his prime. Can't even beat the Lions at home with everything on the line. He isn't the player he once was. He was just throwing the ball up for grabs cause the Lions were putting heat on him. He doesn't want to get hit anymore.

I can get 3,600 and 26 td's out of Howell. Sure I may have to deal with some young QB mistakes but so be it. I want a QB to build around, not a guy who's a diva and is thinking about retirement after every season.

Also AR is not coming here under any circumstances. He'd retire before he came here.
Posted in the other chat but there is chatter that the Bears would listen to offers for Fields, I was hoping we would get him when he came out. He's a Bigger Lamar and better passer.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36 PM   #126
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Posted in the other chat but there is chatter that the Bears would listen to offers for Fields, I was hoping we would get him when he came out. He's a Bigger Lamar and better passer.
My thing w/ Fields is he hasn't improved his passing in two years. He is too much of a running back playing QB, which is kind of surprising because he was such a good passer at Ohio State. Why isn't he developing?

If the Bears are willing to listen to offers then what does that tell you? They're not sold on him and they like Young or Stroud better. I didn't see the Bills trying to trade Josh Allen.

Just tired of the constant going after QB's on other teams. It hasn't worked. I'm going the route of the draft and I will keep drafting guys until I hit on one. And if and when I hit on one I'm still going to be drafting QB's.

IMO we just don't have the right guys in here to develop and draft QB's and the proof is in the pudding.

Maybe McVay misses DC and wants to come back here.. lol. We need a guy like that. Offense first and can develop QB's.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:41 PM   #127
AnonEmouse
The Starter

No to AR. Has nobody seen the lessons the Colts have repeatedly been teaching, going after aging/retread QBs past their prime? We have the bones of a good young roster, so why is everyone thinking that slotting in a 30+ guy that'll cost valuable picks and a huge salary is all we need? 2 years down the line we'll be no better off, wasted the prime of McLaurin and Dotson, have no cap space and no draft picks. Roll with Howell. Whoever the OC is next, he has the chance to mould a capable young guy, and if it doesn't pan out next year, likely we have a new owner, new staff and picks in hand to go get the right guy. Not to mention hopefully a good OL to put in front of him because we used those picks to rebuild it instead of trading for a used up vet.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:19 PM   #128
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
My thing w/ Fields is he hasn't improved his passing in two years. He is too much of a running back playing QB, which is kind of surprising because he was such a good passer at Ohio State. Why isn't he developing?

If the Bears are willing to listen to offers then what does that tell you? They're not sold on him and they like Young or Stroud better. I didn't see the Bills trying to trade Josh Allen.

Just tired of the constant going after QB's on other teams. It hasn't worked. I'm going the route of the draft and I will keep drafting guys until I hit on one. And if and when I hit on one I'm still going to be drafting QB's.

IMO we just don't have the right guys in here to develop and draft QB's and the proof is in the pudding.

Maybe McVay misses DC and wants to come back here.. lol. We need a guy like that. Offense first and can develop QB's.

Some have said Greg Roman but if that’s the case we know his track history, he wants a Running QB and a heavy run game with it.

As far as QB goes I agree with you, if they don’t think Howell is the guy then draft someone at 16 and draft a damn QB every year until you hit on one.

Eventually Our luck has to go our way similar to the bills and bengals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2023, 10:14 PM   #129
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Rodgers man idk. Gonna be 40 when the season starts? We would give up alot and probably wind up with no oline, no ilb, no shut down corner. Go real strong after Slowik and let him work with Howell. Brock Purdy is absolutely killing it. If we do not pursue Rodgers we can build a D and an oline like they have by next year. If we pursue Rodgers he better win next year. Just look at the niners. You do not need an absolute stud at qb if you have a good D, run game, weapons, oline, and staff. We are very close to having that if we bring in Slowik, draft right and make some moves in FA. And we are not mortgaging our future. You bring in AR u better win it all in the next two years.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:50 AM   #130
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Ron needs to absolutely go after a guy like Slowik. It's easy to say someone like that wouldn't want to come here in a lame duck year for RR etc., but if you are confident in what you can do, you could ultimately thrive here as an OC with these weapons on offense and this defense. Really just need to improve that o-line and build an offensive scheme around what Howell does best. It's actually a great opportunity in my opinion.

And again, I am laughing out loud at everyone who is balking at the idea of having a physical running team. At no time did RR or Mayhew say that they didn't want a balanced attack. Everyone just inferred that. Who doesn't want a physical power running game, and to keep the opponent's offense off the field? Contrary to what a lot are surmising, that does not equate to not having a capable and potent vertical attack.

You can have both.
Reading your post one thing occured to me: this OC position might be really attractive. On top of all the offensive weapon and a young QB to develop, the fact it's almost guaranteed Ron is gone after next season with the new owner, of you're confident in what you can accomplish in a year, you can hope to be in the discussion to get promoted to HC.
I mean yeah the new owner will want to name the HC, but if he has a OC that just had one of the most explosive offense in the league, he could look at it and go "I'll be the good guy that promote a young promising coach to HC, and focus on other things".
All speculation but yeah, that OC position may actually be more attractive than this team's HC job.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2023, 03:43 AM   #131
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Reading your post one thing occured to me: this OC position might be really attractive. On top of all the offensive weapon and a young QB to develop, the fact it's almost guaranteed Ron is gone after next season with the new owner, of you're confident in what you can accomplish in a year, you can hope to be in the discussion to get promoted to HC.
I mean yeah the new owner will want to name the HC, but if he has a OC that just had one of the most explosive offense in the league, he could look at it and go "I'll be the good guy that promote a young promising coach to HC, and focus on other things".
All speculation but yeah, that OC position may actually be more attractive than this team's HC job.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
I was thinking exactly the same. RR pretty much left the O up to Turner rather than overly meddle. That suggests that whoever comes in likely has almost free reign. A good young OC could turn this into a potent O with one good off-season, and at worst bolster his CV for a HC job wherever. That's why I wouldn't go for a retread; get the guy who's hungry.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:45 AM   #132
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I was thinking exactly the same. RR pretty much left the O up to Turner rather than overly meddle. That suggests that whoever comes in likely has almost free reign. A good young OC could turn this into a potent O with one good off-season, and at worst bolster his CV for a HC job wherever. That's why I wouldn't go for a retread; get the guy who's hungry.
I doubt the OC will have free reign. Ron has said that he wants a run first 1985 style offense so a modern OC is already constrained in what he can do and how potent the O can be. Ron likes his peeps and wont bring in someone he's unfamiliar with.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:34 AM   #133
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I doubt the OC will have free reign. Ron has said that he wants a run first 1985 style offense so a modern OC is already constrained in what he can do and how potent the O can be. Ron likes his peeps and wont bring in someone he's unfamiliar with.
Shows you how out of date Ron is
Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 AM   #134
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Rodgers man idk. Gonna be 40 when the season starts? We would give up alot and probably wind up with no oline, no ilb, no shut down corner. Go real strong after Slowik and let him work with Howell. Brock Purdy is absolutely killing it. If we do not pursue Rodgers we can build a D and an oline like they have by next year. If we pursue Rodgers he better win next year. Just look at the niners. You do not need an absolute stud at qb if you have a good D, run game, weapons, oline, and staff. We are very close to having that if we bring in Slowik, draft right and make some moves in FA. And we are not mortgaging our future. You bring in AR u better win it all in the next two years.
Chances of winning it all in the next 2 years with Rodgers is much higher than without him.

Yes it's a risk and a move all your chips to the center of the table type of move. But fuck it, go big.

That said I seriously doubt it would happen given the ownership situation.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 AM   #135
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Don't fall for what RR was saying during that presser about wanting to run the ball.

Last offseason tells us all we need to know about what he wanted from the offense this year. They drafted a WR and a receiving TE. They signed Wentz for his arm and ability to stretch the field. They opened up the season trying to throw it 35-40 times a game until Wentz showed he couldn't get it done. They only reverted to pounding the ball once the Wentz experiment failed.

Instead of admitting they failed yet again at finding a QB and that's why the offense was run heavy, Ron tried to make it sound like that was the plan all along. It wasn't.