Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #121
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
they're my top 3 of all time, interesting thought. only sanders played in the modern free agency/salary cap days
True. I sometimes want to put Bo Jackson up there as well if he could have stayed healthy. Can you imagine if brown were a free agent now. He would get truck loads of money.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #122
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Wow, your statement is a prime example how people have completely bought into this whole 'devaluation' of the RB position.
If Helu turns out to be Barry Sanders and a GM trades him that GM better win at least 1 Superbowl with those picks.
I've noticed your tone throughout this thread to be either argumentative or condescending. It makes it difficult to have a conversation with you.

That said why would a gm that trades away Barry sanders have to win at least 1 Super Bowl? That's one more than Barry won. Find a trade were a team traded away a top running back and got worse.

Heres a couple examples that prove my point.

Cowoys trade away herself walker. Win multiple superbowls with the draft pics.

Rams trade Dickerson make the playoffs the next two years after. real winner here is the bills who got Bennett a cornerstone for then for a long time.

About the only one I can think of is the Ricky Williams trade which we wasted the draft pics for. Didn't work out for the saints though.

Even the champ and a second for portis wound up better for the broncos.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #123
los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
Even the champ and a second for portis wound up better for the broncos.
that 2nd round pick STILL chaps my ass, never mind that it was used on tatum bell. best cb in football (arguably one of the best ever) AND a 2nd round pick for a very good running back... no
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #124
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I haven't heard this particular interview, but I have heard Morris in the past say he likes to emulate Payton's attack the defender, don't shy away from contact, no-nonsense approach to football.
It would be awesome if Morris can contribute at HB & FB , I like his attitude .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #125
30gut
Playmaker

Football at its core is a team game not an individual game.
I understand the point you are trying to make but being a great player regardless of position doesn't guarantee team success much less the superbowl.
Just as there are HOF RBs without rings there are HOF QBs without rings.

Quote:
Arian Foster is a great example of what I don't want....Now he just got a contract that pays him 30 mil in the first three years.
Here are my problems with this. Tate did a pretty damn good job in his absence, they couldn't resign Mario Williams,
I think you're assuming your consequent here.
The Texan's chose not to re-sign Mario they weren't forced.
And we can only speculate on why.
Maybe the Texans believe their defense is okay without him (as they proved last year) or maybe they can find good enough production at his position without paying market value for Mario Williams (who is coming off an unjury)?

Quote:
...and finally I don't remember them being a Super Bowl contender when foster lead the league in rushing.
They were a playoff team mainly because of their running game.
Foster/Tate allowed them to not only make the playoffs but win a playoff game after they lost not only their starting QB but their back-up QB.
Those are crucial factors that you didn't mention.

Quote:
Everybody loves to talk about how being able to run an stop the run wins championships. That's a flat out myth. Being able to pass and stop the pass is what wins. That's been true since the Super Bowl era.
Every team is built differently and there are several ways to win.
Its not one or the other.

Last edited by 30gut; 05-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #126
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I've noticed your tone throughout this thread to be either argumentative or condescending. It makes it difficult to have a conversation with you.
I try to post in a conversational manner the same as I would if we were sitting down talking at a sports bar.
I'm sure just like any poster, yourself included, there are times my posts maybe perceived as argumentative or maybe even condescending but its rarely my intent.
Believe me if I wanted to come across as argumentative and condescending it would be much, much worse then our current discourse.

On my end there is no overall condescension meant in my tone, but I respond more or less the way I'm addressed.
I view our discussion as 2 guys that have a philosophical disagreement about football.*shrugs*
I'm just a guy that likes to discuss football in specifics.

Quote:
That said why would a gm that trades away Barry sanders have to win at least 1 Super Bowl? That's one more than Barry won.
Should the Dolphins have traded away Dan Marino or the Bills Jim Kelly or the Oilers/Moon etc none of them won superbowls?
Barry Sanders was an elite RB and a HOF talent and you don't trade away elite talent in their prime unless someone offers you the world.

Barry Sanders carried a pretty pitful Detoit team and franchise its not Barry's fault they couldn't build a championship team around him.

Quote:
Find a trade were a team traded away a top running back and got worse.
I'm not gonna argue a point I'm not making.

Last edited by 30gut; 05-31-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #127
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
It would be awesome if Morris can contribute at HB & FB , I like his attitude .
I've seen highlights of Morris on youtube. They guy reminds me of Ricky Ervins.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #128
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Evan Royster needs to start. He had an impressive 5.9 yard per carry average last year. I like Helu Jr. too, but there's something about Royster's style of running that is more impressive. Hightower can run the ball well too, but he's susceptible to injury and couldn't withstand the bulk of the carries as the year wore on.
I'm going to respond to this post in this thread because the thread where you posted it is on a completely different topic, if you read the OP.
Evan was good last year, but his YPC is clearly inflated by his low number of carries.
BTW-Helu has been taking the reps with the first team in the OTAs.